Concept of Spiritual Dryness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Concept of Spiritual Dryness
I don't know if this is an issue that is discussed in all Christian denominations or not, but there is a concept in the RCC called "spiritual dryness", which is much like a crossroads you can come across whenever you feel complete separation from God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_dryness

A number of saints have written about the experience of spiritual dryness, with Mother Theresa in particular as the most recent person who has experienced it for most of her life. Before I became agnostic, this was one of those topics that I wrestled with. Because the crux of it was that it wasn't good enough for God that you were trying harder to have a deeper relationship with him thru prayer and your daily living, but you had to be repeatedly tested on top of that? The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the concept, I thought "maybe these people came to the conclusion that the God they thought they knew didn't exist and that everything you have been doing up to this point was a waste". Especially in the 1500s and 1600s, the mere thought would have caused them to recoil and come up with explanations to the contrary. It's in the catechism of the catholic church: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachin...index.cfm#

Quote:2731 Another difficulty, especially for those who sincerely want to pray, is dryness. Dryness belongs to contemplative prayer when the heart is separated from God, with no taste for thoughts, memories, and feelings, even spiritual ones. This is the moment of sheer faith clinging faithfully to Jesus in his agony and in his tomb. “Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.”18 If dryness is due to the lack of roots, because the word has fallen on rocky soil, the battle requires conversion.19 (1426)

Anyways, when you look at this with a new perspective, it actually makes me feel very bad for those who beat themselves up over this. I think this can be closely related to having scruples, which is another concept of people trying harder because they feel that they are never good enough to ever be forgiven by Christ.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: Concept of Spiritual Dryness
(02-06-2015 05:39 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  ... people trying harder because they feel that they are never good enough to ever be forgiven by Christ ...

Among religion's many detriments this is one of its worst: the relentless pile driver of the doctrine of human unworthiness pounding self confidence and self esteem right out of the human heart. No wonder the evangelicals are so grimly neurotic, humorless and devoid of compassion.
[+] 9 users Like Airportkid's post
03-06-2015, 03:45 AM
(02-06-2015 06:14 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 05:39 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  ... people trying harder because they feel that they are never good enough to ever be forgiven by Christ ...

Among religion's many detriments this is one of its worst: the relentless pile driver of the doctrine of human unworthiness pounding self confidence and self esteem right out of the human heart. No wonder the evangelicals are so grimly neurotic, humorless and devoid of compassion.

Beautifully said!Bowing

We can thank Paul for this toxic bullshit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
03-06-2015, 04:10 AM
spiritual dryness = discovering reality
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2015, 05:30 AM
http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definit...abituation

Mother Teresa said in her memoirs "She dare not name that which she saw/felt within herself". She died an atheist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-06-2015, 05:40 AM
(02-06-2015 05:39 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  A number of saints have written about the experience of spiritual dryness, with Mother Theresa in particular as the most recent person who has experienced it for most of her life. Before I became agnostic, this was one of those topics that I wrestled with. Because the crux of it was that it wasn't good enough for God that you were trying harder to have a deeper relationship with him thru prayer and your daily living, but you had to be repeatedly tested on top of that?

I went through this for over a year when I stopped believing. I wanted to, but I found I couldn't make myself believe. It all felt so hollow. I wondered if I was failing a test.

I get the impression these feelings aren't uncommon among believers. It wouldn't surprise me if every believer experiences them at least once. The trick for the church is to spin it in such a way that people expect the feelings. Rather than letting them examine their beliefs rationally, they are told that doubts are expected, and that they should pray and read their Bible.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Re: Concept of Spiritual Dryness
Spiritual moistness sounds much more appealing.
03-06-2015, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 07:08 AM by Rahn127.)
Am I understanding this correctly ?

Are they saying that dryness is a state in which you are mentally and "spiritually" separated from god but you still have faith.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm sure the catholics were market a lube for that type of dryness.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2015, 08:23 AM
(03-06-2015 06:51 AM)mecanna Wrote:  Spiritual moistness sounds much more appealing.

Yeah - you're thinking what I'm thinking....

"Dryness" -- hmmmmm.....

Drooling

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.