Concept of Spiritual Dryness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Concept of Spiritual Dryness
I'm not surprised. My old Catholic crowd can't fathom anyone not being Catholic, therefore there is no doubt only "dryness."

Going to Mass, eating your nun-crafted dry wafer, and pointing fingers (not judging!) = spiritual flood.

Thinking a lot of this is bullshit, can't connect the contradictions, and not feeling Holy Spirit in you = dryness.

You can't possibly have doubt. You had magic water sprinkled on you as a baby.

One of us... One of us... One of us...

Now go say Kyrie Eleison, maybe Apostle's Creed, and confess to a strange man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
RE: Concept of Spiritual Dryness
My Pentecostal upbringing took this a step further. This "dry place" was often paralleled to the Children of Israel coming out of Egypt and in the desert on the way to Canaan. They were in a dry place spiritually, a place of testing and faith building. god was there for them but they often murmured and complained which caused them to spend 40 long ass years there because they just couldn't come to grips that he was their constant source of life etc.

This is another fault of the christian religion. Convincing people that a road of suffering, persecution, etc is the path that god will take you down to bring you closer to him. Nonsense.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
(03-06-2015 08:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 06:51 AM)mecanna Wrote:  Spiritual moistness sounds much more appealing.

Yeah - you're thinking what I'm thinking....

"Dryness" -- hmmmmm.....

Drooling

heh

[Image: moisture_zps54ekwp8l.png]

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
03-06-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm wondering if this concept was what T.S. Eliot was referring to in this stanza from The Wasteland?

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust. Yes

#sigh
03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a built in excuse. Would go perfect with Sye Ten and the idea that everyone knows God exists bullshit.
04-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Actually there's a rather long and large tradition in Western religions (not sure about the East) called "The Dark Night of the Soul". All the big shot mystics talked about it, and John of the Cross wrote a book by that name ... although it's pretty weird. Teresa of Avila talked about it, as well as many other "mytics". I still says it's just "habituation" and their brain stops producing as much beta-endorphins as it used to when they think about and talk to Jebus. But they cook up all kinds of religious BS to explain it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
(04-06-2015 10:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually there's a rather long and large tradition in Western religions (not sure about the East) called "The Dark Night of the Soul". All the big shot mystics talked about it, and John of the Cross wrote a book by that name ... although it's pretty weird. Teresa of Avila talked about it, as well as many other "mytics". I still says it's just "habituation" and their brain stops producing as much beta-endorphins as it used to when they think about and talk to Jebus. But they cook up all kinds of religious BS to explain it.

Yes, that's where I first encountered the idea of spiritual dryness. I did not read these works directly, but I heard of a number of saints who suffered through feelings of being alone and abandoned by God. Sounds more like coming to a crossroads where you need to decide whether you double down and continue on or get off the ride because you no longer can buy what the church is selling.
04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
CS Lewis even talks about that in The Screwtape Letters as a great opportunity to attack faith.

Quote:You [the demon Wormwood] have only got to keep him out of the way of experienced Christians (an easy task now-a-days), to direct his attention to the appropriate passages in scripture, and then to set him to work on the desperate design of recovering his old feelings by sheer will-power, and the game is ours. If he is of the more hopeful type, your job is to make him acquiesce in the present low temperature of his spirit and gradually become content with it, persuading himself that it is not so low after all. In a week or two you will be making him doubt whether the first days of his Christianity were not, perhaps, a little excessive. Talk to him about "moderation in all things". If you can once get him to the point of thinking that "religion is all very well up to a point", you can feel quite happy about his soul. A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all-and more amusing.

Lewis drives me nuts. This jerk equates no religion/moderate religion to a win for evil.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-06-2015, 08:02 PM
(04-06-2015 11:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Lewis drives me nuts.

Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-06-2015, 09:21 PM
I don't mind the dryness, but the itching is unbearable.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post