Conception of children when death is near

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 11:43 AM
RE: Conception of children when death is near
(30-03-2014 10:38 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Speaking from experience, being a single parent isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person.

My first husband died when my daughters were three and seven. Should I have gotten rid of them?

Of course not. What's with the ridiculous rhetoric? Did you intent to become a single parent?

We just have different views that's all.

My friend held a benefit to help support her and her son. I guess I saw it as slightly irresponsible to have a child without the ability to support it, regardless of the reason for it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 11:47 AM
(30-03-2014 11:43 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 10:38 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Speaking from experience, being a single parent isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person.

My first husband died when my daughters were three and seven. Should I have gotten rid of them?

Of course not. What's with the ridiculous rhetoric? Did you intent to become a single parent?

My friend held a benefit to help support her and her son. I guess I saw it as slightly irresponsible to have a child without the ability to support it, regardless of the reason for it.

The people in the article you speak of didn't expect it either. They were told conception wasn't possible.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2014, 12:10 PM
(30-03-2014 11:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 11:43 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Of course not. What's with the ridiculous rhetoric? Did you intent to become a single parent?

The people in the article you speak of didn't expect it either. They were told conception wasn't possible.

I was talking about my friend, who went through IVF at her husband's request. They held the benefit after he died.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
30-03-2014, 12:28 PM
(30-03-2014 12:10 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 11:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  The people in the article you speak of didn't expect it either. They were told conception wasn't possible.

I was talking about my friend, who went through IVF at her husband's request. They held the benefit after he died.

Few of us get the life that has no bumps along the way. Many deal with the unexpected, unplanned, and unpleasant.

Your friend struggled as a single parent...for the most part, that isn't unusual. Lots of us do it. As for meeting someone when you have kids...I have been a single parent of one, a single parent of two, and a single parent of three. Somehow I managed to not only meet, but to marry three times. Kids were always part of the deal.

I also raised kids while grieving, without a benefit being held and with no life insurance. It can be done and is done every day.

We are all different and make different choices and go through different things. My choices were my own. The people you mention also made their own choices. It's not my place to decide if they were right or wrong.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2014, 05:00 PM
(30-03-2014 12:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 12:10 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I was talking about my friend, who went through IVF at her husband's request. They held the benefit after he died.

Few of us get the life that has no bumps along the way. Many deal with the unexpected, unplanned, and unpleasant.

Your friend struggled as a single parent...for the most part, that isn't unusual. Lots of us do it. As for meeting someone when you have kids...I have been a single parent of one, a single parent of two, and a single parent of three. Somehow I managed to not only meet, but to marry three times. Kids were always part of the deal.

I also raised kids while grieving, without a benefit being held and with no life insurance. It can be done and is done every day.

We are all different and make different choices and go through different things. My choices were my own. The people you mention also made their own choices. It's not my place to decide if they were right or wrong.

Of course. As it is not mine. Nor am I implying in any way that their choices were wrong. All I said, is that it seems selfish to me. That's all

30-03-2014, 05:31 PM
(30-03-2014 05:00 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Of course. As it is not mine. Nor am I implying in any way that their choices were wrong. All I said, is that it seems selfish to me. That's all

Well; it's selfish in that it's leaving behind a huge burden on other people.

But it's also not, if it's not against anyone's will. I guess.

... this is my signature!
30-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I didn't consider my kids a burden. I would suppose those that chose as they did also didn't see their children as a burden either. They are children, not crosses to bear.

30-03-2014, 05:41 PM
(30-03-2014 05:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't consider my kids a burden. I would suppose those that chose as they did also didn't see their children as a burden either. They are children, not crosses to bear.

Eh. I certainly meant nothing odious by that poor choice of words.

Commitment would be better, I think. Or duty? Investment has other unnecessary connotations...

... this is my signature!
31-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Seems like a private thing between two people and neither of them are me...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
31-03-2014, 11:11 AM
To many different things to factor in making a judgement call on a situation like this, nor would I want to.

Injecting ones personal beliefs, opinions, lifestyle into another persons reality, is whats really seflish. Judge not another untill you've walked in their shoes for a lifetime.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post