Concerned atheist grandparent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Concerned atheist grandparent
I'm a 62 yo former medical service provider that has cruised through life with out any real concerns about God, religion or any of that. Then about 18 months ago I was discovered using some of the medications intended for my patients. Bad - bad decision on my part. I knew I was using to treat my pain (psychological) at first due to a divorce and loss of my parents, but later only because I was addicted. I promptly went into a 12 step program for 90 days. I was cured as far as the addiction was concerned and have not used since, however I was never able to swallow as the reason for my "cure" as being due to a higher power. Just did not pass the good sense test. I think I should declare now - I AM AN ATHEIST. So recently - about 3 weeks now - I've become aware of the possibility of "free thinking". I've devoured all the Free Thinking Atheist podcasts, the YouTube videos featuring Dawkins, Hitchens (RIP) et al. Now comes my dilemma - Thanksgiving. I'll be traveling to my son's home with his family. I've two grandchildren (8 and 11).It seems that they have become ensconced into a local Baptist church and have been actively brainwashing my two grandchildren.I might mention that they have also been homeschooling. This has all been quite shocking to me as my son was never raised with a religious indoctrination and he's a pretty intelligent guy. His wife on the other hand, I'm afraid is the prime mover behind all these changes. Now - knowing what I do, limited as it is, I am so concerned for my grandchildren as they do not have the capacity to discern what is real or not - after all my granddaughter still believes in Santa. So, I'm in a quandary as to how to broach the subject with my son. We have had a great relationship - not so the stepdaughter - and I certainly don't want to jeopardize this - but think I may have to.I'm hoping I can convince him to return his kids to public school and to reconsider the decision to indoctrinate his progeny to the dangers of religion. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Keep up the good work. I wish I had others I could discuss this with but there just isn't.
Thanks
David
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sandman1818's post

Messages In This Thread
Concerned atheist grandparent - sandman1818 - 20-11-2012 06:42 PM
RE: Concerned atheist grandparent - amyb - 20-11-2012, 09:40 PM
RE: Concerned atheist grandparent - DLJ - 21-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheist Record for the Ages GawDamn 0 67 01-07-2014 07:38 AM
Last Post: GawDamn
  The World Through Atheist Goggles. lucradis 108 9,829 23-05-2014 02:10 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Resources to Atheist Content Forthright Atheist 3 87 22-05-2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
Brick The Thinking Atheist on Rational Wiki Zero 4 219 20-03-2014 05:32 PM
Last Post: Zero
  Thinking Atheist Online store? Realist Mike 10 129 09-03-2014 12:57 PM
Last Post: War Horse
  Atheist GirlFriend khushko 13 396 27-02-2014 11:55 PM
Last Post: khushko
  I want to reclaim a lost friendship, but only if she becomes an atheist. WogglebugLover 61 1,084 11-02-2014 04:32 PM
Last Post: Cathym112