Concerts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2014, 11:16 PM
RE: Concerts
(23-01-2014 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 04:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I've seen many a rock act in my time: Rolling Stones (with the Eagles opening), Paul McCartney, Dylan (several times), Clapton, Neil Young, Springsteen, Patti Smith, Allman Brothers (several times), and lots of others (can you tell how old I am?). I don't go to rock concerts much anymore, and here's why: in the old days, people would stand and applaud when the band came out -- for a minute or two, and then they would sit down and enjoy the concert. Now, they stand when the band comes out and never sit down again. Since half of them are taller than me, I don't see a damn thing -- plus I'm too old to stand for two or three hours straight.

So I mostly go to jazz and classical concerts these days, where people know how to behave (lol). The last rock concert I went to was the Tedeschi/Trucks Band earlier this year. That crowd was well-behaved, and the band was great. This weekend, I'm going to a symphony concert (Dvorak's "New World" Symphony, woo hoo!). I'm excited.

Oh yeah the allman bros....

Funny but music to me got very boring and I got into jazz.

I love jazz!

You go from all the classics to jazz because they got boring? No comprende your logico Tongue

[Image: a1Ay5GG_460sa_v1.gif]

If your God can't be bothered to personally reveal himself to me, then I can't be bothered to worship him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 11:50 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-01-2014 11:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh yeah the allman bros....

Funny but music to me got very boring and I got into jazz.

I love jazz!

You go from all the classics to jazz because they got boring? No comprende your logico Tongue

Music itself became boring to me, possibly because of all the bands I've seen over the years. Why wouid I bother seeing Cheap Trick today when I already saw them like 30 years ago? I really wouldn't walk across the street to see Lady Gaga.

I have like 1000 albums...albums not CDs. The music of the 1990s onward to now became very dull. I've heard it all. Seen all the bands I wanted to see...and then some.

I got into jazz through Steely Dan and boz scaggs...I began gravitating to some of Santana's stuff, like the swing of delight.

From jazz...I've gone back through time. Right now, I'm enjoying big band stuff and swing. Yeah I listen to Sinatra.

And do not get me started on classical.

Maybe I've gown up Consider?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Shit, I can't remember all of the shows I've been to. Not that there have been an extraordinary amount, I just literally can't remember a lot of them. Angel

First concert ever (not counting shitty christian bands): Big Head Todd and the Monsters featuring a yet unknown Dave Matthews Band. Okay, that's a lie. I saw The Beach Boys when I was like, five, at a festival in Cali.

Bush with Cheap Trick and No Doubt
Korn with Rob Zombie
God Forbid, Goatwhore
Killswitch Engage, In Flames
Metallica, Godsmack
Tool, Meshugga
Deftones
Slipknot with Shadows Fall
Lamb of God (at least four times) can never remember opening acts for those shows, too much booze and they annihilate every time they get on stage.
Damageplan (got to see Dimebag play about a month before he was killed. Wasn't Pantera, but it was Dimebag 20 feet in front of me ripping it up. I was pleased to say the least)
Been plenty of others, like I said my memory of different shows is hazy at best.

Coolest: stayed nine days in NYC with my aunt and uncle after I graduated high school. First night I was there got to see Bo Diddley. Next to last night I was there I my uncle took me to a little basement bar that Les Paul played every monday night. He was 82 when I saw him, still fucked up that jazz guitar. Got to meet him, shake his hand, and I have an autographed CD from Les fucking Paul, the inventor of the electric guitar. I'll never forget that night.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-01-2014, 08:33 AM
(24-01-2014 12:41 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Shit, I can't remember all of the shows I've been to. Not that there have been an extraordinary amount, I just literally can't remember a lot of them. Angel

First concert ever (not counting shitty christian bands): Big Head Todd and the Monsters featuring a yet unknown Dave Matthews Band. Okay, that's a lie. I saw The Beach Boys when I was like, five, at a festival in Cali.

Bush with Cheap Trick and No Doubt
Korn with Rob Zombie
God Forbid, Goatwhore
Killswitch Engage, In Flames
Metallica, Godsmack
Tool, Meshugga
Deftones
Slipknot with Shadows Fall
Lamb of God (at least four times) can never remember opening acts for those shows, too much booze and they annihilate every time they get on stage.
Damageplan (got to see Dimebag play about a month before he was killed. Wasn't Pantera, but it was Dimebag 20 feet in front of me ripping it up. I was pleased to say the least)
Been plenty of others, like I said my memory of different shows is hazy at best.

Coolest: stayed nine days in NYC with my aunt and uncle after I graduated high school. First night I was there got to see Bo Diddley. Next to last night I was there I my uncle took me to a little basement bar that Les Paul played every monday night. He was 82 when I saw him, still fucked up that jazz guitar. Got to meet him, shake his hand, and I have an autographed CD from Les fucking Paul, the inventor of the electric guitar. I'll never forget that night.

That would be my most prized possession in the world Blink

If your God can't be bothered to personally reveal himself to me, then I can't be bothered to worship him.
24-01-2014, 08:34 AM
(23-01-2014 11:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 11:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You go from all the classics to jazz because they got boring? No comprende your logico Tongue

Music itself became boring to me, possibly because of all the bands I've seen over the years. Why wouid I bother seeing Cheap Trick today when I already saw them like 30 years ago? I really wouldn't walk across the street to see Lady Gaga.

I have like 1000 albums...albums not CDs. The music of the 1990s onward to now became very dull. I've heard it all. Seen all the bands I wanted to see...and then some.

I got into jazz through Steely Dan and boz scaggs...I began gravitating to some of Santana's stuff, like the swing of delight.

From jazz...I've gone back through time. Right now, I'm enjoying big band stuff and swing. Yeah I listen to Sinatra.

And do not get me started on classical.

Maybe I've gown up Consider?

I made a promise to The Pan to never grow up, and I intend to keep it Tongue

05-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Best concert for me was definitely the metal masters tour in 2008 with judas priest, heaven and hell, motorhead, and testament. Seen probably a couple hundred punk gigs. Also went to the big 4 of thrash in ca a few years back.
05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I went to a parkway drive/upon a burning body concert on Saturday and caught cold from being in the pit and drenched in beer Laugh out load

07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Kings of Leon at the Austin City Limits Festival in 2003. 11:30 in the morning, about 50 people in front of the stage. Hadn't heard of them, but my brother and I just happened to wander over there. After about 3 songs, were were like Holy Shit! These guys are great. Went home and picked up their first album. The rest is history.

Lately, some great small venue shows I've seen lately have been Amos Lee, Joshua James, Frank Turner.
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM
(05-02-2014 12:29 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I went to a parkway drive/upon a burning body concert on Saturday and caught cold from being in the pit and drenched in beer Laugh out load

That reminds me of a concert I went to back in the day. Don't remember the band, but it was a large indoor venue, where they normally play basketball or hockey or something, and the "floor" was like a big mosh pit (no seats, just a bunch of people standing). We were up in the seats, on the side, and I remember seeing this one guy down on the floor, pumping his fists in time to the music. The funny thing was that he had a beer in each hand. So there was a big circle of open space around him. The rest of the floor was wall-to-wall people.
07-02-2014, 07:16 PM
(07-02-2014 04:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 12:29 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I went to a parkway drive/upon a burning body concert on Saturday and caught cold from being in the pit and drenched in beer Laugh out load

That reminds me of a concert I went to back in the day. Don't remember the band, but it was a large indoor venue, where they normally play basketball or hockey or something, and the "floor" was like a big mosh pit (no seats, just a bunch of people standing). We were up in the seats, on the side, and I remember seeing this one guy down on the floor, pumping his fists in time to the music. The funny thing was that he had a beer in each hand. So there was a big circle of open space around him. The rest of the floor was wall-to-wall people.

Sounds about right.
It's been a week and I still have a constant loud ringing in my ears Dodgy
Oh well, off to another concert 6 today!