Concussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Concussions
My husband used to play football back in the day. He had two concussions that he's aware of and it bothers him that he was told to shake it off and get back in there and play. This was just before some of the guys were as huge as they are now although he did play against "The Refrigerator" William Parry, who was kinda the first big huge football player that came along. Hubby took a few hits from him. Said it hurt. Like he'd been hit by a damn refrigerator.

Anyway, Donald Trump is calling all this concussion controversy a result of our country becoming more soft and I guess not manning up....or something like that. Perhaps he needs to be tackled a few times and roughed up by one of those sissy linebackers. Dodgy

I'm not an expert on stuff like this but it seems to me that the human skull is the same thickness it's been for thousands of years but football players are so much bigger and being hit in the head has got to cause more trauma. I'm not sure about other sports like Australian football, (those guys are crazy!) but damn, when I see these guys play sometimes I don't know how they mentally function after being hit so hard.

Thoughts?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-01-2016, 03:32 PM
RE: Concussions
I don't like contact sports at all for this and other reasons. I simply disapprove of gladiator sports, they're barbaric.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
16-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Tradition is usually the refuge for behavior that's conclusively proven to be dangerous, but continued.

Football, boxing, rugby, motorcycling, cigarettes and alcohol and religion --- all if invented today - would never be allowed onto the market.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-01-2016, 03:42 PM
(16-01-2016 03:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Tradition is usually the refuge for behavior that's conclusively proven to be dangerous, but continued.

Football, boxing, rugby, motorcycling, cigarettes and alcohol and religion --- all if invented today - would never be allowed onto the market.

Well, I'm thinking that concussions are more prevalent today because players are so much bigger yet the skull bone is the same thickness.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Trump is wrong.

Football back in its early days was even more damaging, but that's because there weren't rules about tackling, etc., and because there were lots of players who thought wearing helmets was for sissies. Some of them grew their hair long to protect their heads, which … didn't work.

Every change to increase safety has been protested by various knuckleheads as demeaning the game and/or not needed. A decade later, the changes are lauded, even by the knuckleheads.
16-01-2016, 03:49 PM
This is a bit off topic realizing the topic is contact sports and concussions, but I do a bit of taxi pirating here in the Dominican Republic and a Canadian couple in their late 70's asked me to take them to a cock fight today. I did and went back to pick them up afterwards. The wife had blood and a few small feathers on the front of her dress since she had gotten as close as she could. I class this sport along with boxing and dog fights and other brutal stuff. I couldn't stand the idea of watching something of that nature.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
16-01-2016, 03:57 PM
(16-01-2016 03:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband used to play football back in the day. He had two concussions that he's aware of and it bothers him that he was told to shake it off and get back in there and play. This was just before some of the guys were as huge as they are now although he did play against "The Refrigerator" William Parry, who was kinda the first big huge football player that came along. Hubby took a few hits from him. Said it hurt. Like he'd been hit by a damn refrigerator.

Anyway, Donald Trump is calling all this concussion controversy a result of our country becoming more soft and I guess not manning up....or something like that. Perhaps he needs to be tackled a few times and roughed up by one of those sissy linebackers. Dodgy

I'm not an expert on stuff like this but it seems to me that the human skull is the same thickness it's been for thousands of years but football players are so much bigger and being hit in the head has got to cause more trauma. I'm not sure about other sports like Australian football, (those guys are crazy!) but damn, when I see these guys play sometimes I don't know how they mentally function after being hit so hard.

Thoughts?

More proof that Trump is a twit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-01-2016, 03:57 PM
(16-01-2016 03:49 PM)DerFish Wrote:  This is a bit off topic realizing the topic is contact sports and concussions, but I do a bit of taxi pirating here in the Dominican Republic and a Canadian couple in their late 70's asked me to take them to a cock fight today. I did and went back to pick them up afterwards. The wife had blood and a few small feathers on the front of her dress since she had gotten as close as she could. I class this sport along with boxing and dog fights and other brutal stuff. I couldn't stand the idea of watching something of that nature.

That's gladiator sports too. I'm with heatheness, I think they are barbaric.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-01-2016, 03:59 PM
The size of guys isn't that much of an real increase, it's just something people are aware of.

Though the real info of the more damning and permanent damage they're seeing ex athletes deal with is CTE which actually seems to come from frequent small dings. Like linemen guys who bash eachother directly every play are more likely to mentally suffer from that issues than guys running really fast getting concussions.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I'm kinda funny. Generally I like more delicate things but for some reason I like watching football. I like the strategy involved. I've always wondered what it's like to play football....but without the concussions......and other injuries.