Concussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: Concussions
(16-01-2016 04:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm kinda funny. Generally I like more delicate things but for some reason I like watching football. I like the strategy involved. I've always wondered what it's like to play football....but without the concussions......and other injuries.

[Image: football-banner.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 04:30 PM
(16-01-2016 04:25 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 04:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm kinda funny. Generally I like more delicate things but for some reason I like watching football. I like the strategy involved. I've always wondered what it's like to play football....but without the concussions......and other injuries.

[Image: football-banner.jpg]

Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-01-2016, 04:30 PM
(16-01-2016 03:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband used to play football back in the day. He had two concussions that he's aware of and it bothers him that he was told to shake it off and get back in there and play. This was just before some of the guys were as huge as they are now although he did play against "The Refrigerator" William Parry, who was kinda the first big huge football player that came along. Hubby took a few hits from him. Said it hurt. Like he'd been hit by a damn refrigerator.

Anyway, Donald Trump is calling all this concussion controversy a result of our country becoming more soft and I guess not manning up....or something like that. Perhaps he needs to be tackled a few times and roughed up by one of those sissy linebackers. Dodgy

I'm not an expert on stuff like this but it seems to me that the human skull is the same thickness it's been for thousands of years but football players are so much bigger and being hit in the head has got to cause more trauma. I'm not sure about other sports like Australian football, (those guys are crazy!) but damn, when I see these guys play sometimes I don't know how they mentally function after being hit so hard.

Thoughts?

I'd be lying if I said I hated the game. I never played on a team, but I did play sand lot ball a few times, and yea you do get hurt and those pads and helmet do not prevent injury 100% of the time for those who did play on a team.

If society were not obsessed with it and we were intellectually honest about it, we should not be playing the game. It literally is like playing chicken with cars.

Trump is a fucking asshole who sells fear to get votes. He's talking about the league, but most players only last 2 to 5 years on average and get chewed up and spit out like race horses, concussion or not.

Most football players play from pee wee league to highs school only, and while millions do go on to college. There are only 32 teams in the NFL and 45 players a team and only 1,440 total players in the league. They have not been paid for their pre NFL careers which can be anywhere of 10 to 15 years from childhood, suffering injury after injury including concussions.

I don't hate sports, and people will do what they want regardless so if they know the risks you have to to some extent allow them to make their own choices. BUT to say it is wrong to make things safer, in any part of life is just bat shit insane.

Fuck Trump he will say anything to get votes, not just about the NFL but Mexicans and Chinese and Arabs. He is a Jerry Springer mind rot fear peddler.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
16-01-2016, 04:37 PM
(16-01-2016 04:30 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 03:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband used to play football back in the day. He had two concussions that he's aware of and it bothers him that he was told to shake it off and get back in there and play. This was just before some of the guys were as huge as they are now although he did play against "The Refrigerator" William Parry, who was kinda the first big huge football player that came along. Hubby took a few hits from him. Said it hurt. Like he'd been hit by a damn refrigerator.

Anyway, Donald Trump is calling all this concussion controversy a result of our country becoming more soft and I guess not manning up....or something like that. Perhaps he needs to be tackled a few times and roughed up by one of those sissy linebackers. Dodgy

I'm not an expert on stuff like this but it seems to me that the human skull is the same thickness it's been for thousands of years but football players are so much bigger and being hit in the head has got to cause more trauma. I'm not sure about other sports like Australian football, (those guys are crazy!) but damn, when I see these guys play sometimes I don't know how they mentally function after being hit so hard.

Thoughts?

I'd be lying if I said I hated the game. I never played on a team, but I did play sand lot ball a few times, and yea you do get hurt and those pads and helmet do not prevent injury 100% of the time for those who did play on a team.

If society were not obsessed with it and we were intellectually honest about it, we should not be playing the game. It literally is like playing chicken with cars.

Trump is a fucking asshole who sells fear to get votes. He's talking about the league, but most players only last 2 to 5 years on average and get chewed up and spit out like race horses, concussion or not.

Most football players play from pee wee league to highs school only, and while millions do go on to college. There are only 32 teams in the NFL and 45 players a team and only 1,440 total players in the league. They have not been paid for their pre NFL careers which can be anywhere of 10 to 15 years from childhood, suffering injury after injury including concussions.

I don't hate sports, and people will do what they want regardless so if they know the risks you have to to some extent allow them to make their own choices. BUT to say it is wrong to make things safer, in any part of life is just bat shit insane.

Fuck Trump he will say anything to get votes, not just about the NFL but Mexicans and Chinese and Arabs. He is a Jerry Springer mind rot fear peddler.

Quote:He is a Jerry Springer mind rot fear peddler.

I'd like to write that in large letters on a sign and go to one of Trumps rallies. Do you suppose they'd be nice and let me in?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-01-2016, 04:59 PM
(16-01-2016 03:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 03:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Tradition is usually the refuge for behavior that's conclusively proven to be dangerous, but continued.

Football, boxing, rugby, motorcycling, cigarettes and alcohol and religion --- all if invented today - would never be allowed onto the market.

Well, I'm thinking that concussions are more prevalent today because players are so much bigger yet the skull bone is the same thickness.

Yabut, it's not about the thickness of the skull - a concussion is not a fracture.

A concussion is the brain slopping around inside the skull.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2016, 05:02 PM
(16-01-2016 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 03:49 PM)DerFish Wrote:  This is a bit off topic realizing the topic is contact sports and concussions, but I do a bit of taxi pirating here in the Dominican Republic and a Canadian couple in their late 70's asked me to take them to a cock fight today. I did and went back to pick them up afterwards. The wife had blood and a few small feathers on the front of her dress since she had gotten as close as she could. I class this sport along with boxing and dog fights and other brutal stuff. I couldn't stand the idea of watching something of that nature.

That's gladiator sports too. I'm with heatheness, I think they are barbaric.

Certainly bear baiting, cock fighting, dog fighting are nothing less than animal abuse.
Those who engage in it or are spectators have something very wrong with them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post