Condemning "Innocence of Muslims"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 03:49 PM
RE: Condemning "Innocence of Muslims"
(27-09-2012 02:26 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 10:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Where did I back down?

When you decided that their temper tantrums were too scary to ridicule.
LOL, I see. You meant back down from the extremists. I'm juggling a lot of things today, read that in a hurry, and thought you meant I somehow backed down from Chas in my reply to him.

But I disagree that I'm backing down from the extremists. I see it as making a wiser choice. I don't suggest refraining from the insults, etc. out of fear of their violence, but out of a belief that it is counterproductive to the goal of achieving a resolution.

(27-09-2012 02:26 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 10:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  It's both dangerous and bad. If only harm and no good can come from it, then yes it's bad and I argue that this is the case here.

There is little that can be done about the extremists and I believe the best chance of really accomplishing anything regarding them would come from their own people - that is, the non-extremists who are also Islamist and who physically reside in the same geographical areas or at least close. Those are the people worth appealing to constructively because they are probably the only ones the extremists would even consider listening to.

I agree we shouldn't prosecute the film makers. I agree we shouldn't limit free speech. What we should do is speak out against such films because they are counterproductive to the goals of ending all this nonsense and really only exacerbate it.

What we should do is show them that the Muslim radical's behavior is not to be tolerated, even if the video was incredibly offensive (which, to be honest, it wasn't).
How do you suggest we show them that?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post