Confession: Going to Church for Xmas this Year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Confession: Going to Church for Xmas this Year
There's something that has been unsettling for me, lately. Not sure what it is, or where it's coming from, exactly. Perhaps, we are always on this journey, seeking truth, whatever that may be. We think we have finally found truth, but then the path keeps leading us elsewhere...Idk.

I consider myself an atheist, but not sure why I feel this void inside of me tugging away at my heart. I've decided to go to church for Xmas Eve service this year, with my dad. He asked me, as he has done these past couple of years since my deconversion, and I've always declined. But, this time, I said yes...and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Is it possible that it's merely due to the effects of the season all around me? I didn't feel this way the past couple of years though, but for some reason, I do this year. Hoping you don't consider me a weakling Blush but...there it is. I wanted to be honest with you, my e-family of sorts...who (ex-theists) know what it's like to let go of Christianity/religion in general, and perhaps too, have a void you have never quite filled. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Heart

I haven't been to church in a VERY long time, so...it will be interesting, to say the least.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
14-12-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: Confession: Going to Church for Xmas this Year
(14-12-2014 01:55 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  There's something that has been unsettling for me, lately. Not sure what it is, or where it's coming from, exactly. Perhaps, we are always on this journey, seeking truth, whatever that may be. We think we have finally found truth, but then the path keeps leading us elsewhere...Idk.

I consider myself an atheist, but not sure why I feel this void inside of me tugging away at my heart. I've decided to go to church for Xmas Eve service this year, with my dad. He asked me, as he has done these past couple of years since my deconversion, and I've always declined. But, this time, I said yes...and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Is it possible that it's merely due to the effects of the season all around me? I didn't feel this way the past couple of years though, but for some reason, I do this year. Hoping you don't consider me a weakling Blush but...there it is. I wanted to be honest with you, my e-family of sorts...who (ex-theists) know what it's like to let go of Christianity/religion in general, and perhaps too, have a void you have never quite filled. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Heart

I haven't been to church in a VERY long time, so...it will be interesting, to say the least.

I hate religion...but there are aspects of it that are beautiful...why? not because of god, but because of the beauty that passionate humans can create...the gorgeous churches, the moving songs..my fav song is amazing grace, gives me chill bumps, always has...nothing to do with the xtian fictional god...just the song is beautiful. I personally wouldnt go into a church with a gun to my head as far as attending a service...but I love walking through old european churches when I tour overseas.

Go, enjoy the music, the fellowship and family...doesnt make you a "bad atheist" if that even exists, it just makes you a person who wishes to enjoy the holiday with family in familiar surroundings...now if you leap out of your pew screaming "Glory to god", we gotta talk.. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
14-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Void in the ol' ticker eh what? Nostalgia... the innocence of youth... Yeah, I look back on those old church services with fondness. But to go back... well, I've been back... it's OK. It's just... not the same. Can't pretend no more... Moving finger writes and all that stuff.

Hope it's fun Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Enjoy your dad's company, you'll make him very happy.

PS don't forget to take notes on what others are wearing Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
14-12-2014, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2014 02:16 PM by Free.)
(14-12-2014 01:55 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  There's something that has been unsettling for me, lately. Not sure what it is, or where it's coming from, exactly. Perhaps, we are always on this journey, seeking truth, whatever that may be. We think we have finally found truth, but then the path keeps leading us elsewhere...Idk.

You know ... there's nothing wrong with going to church with your dad. Nothing at all.

If there's one thing that I believe very few of us atheists can deny is the sense of love, joy, and overall good feelings that Christmas brings to us. Even when we know it's all a pagan thing, we are still susceptible to the feelings of good will, sense of family, and that innate thing that exists within all human beings, to have love for one another.

When we were small children, and we "knew" Santa Claus was coming, that feeling that over-took us all was magical. It is from our magical childhoods that these wonderful feelings we experience this time of year re-surface, and bring to remembrance all that was good through the course of our lives.

We recall wonderful memories of our childhood, memories of our loved ones who have passed away, and stand in the spirit of what mankind always should hold dear, which is quite simply the ethic of reciprocity, also known as The Golden Rule.

So yes Deidre, there is a Santa Claus, and this year he brings the gift of love, family, and remembrance of Christmas past, Christmas Present, and the hope of Christmas Future.

Be at peace, and enjoy your Christmas.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
14-12-2014, 02:31 PM
I used to accompany my mother to the Christmas Eve candlelight service, sometimes one or more of my brothers would go, too.

It was fine. Congregationalists aren't offensive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-12-2014, 02:42 PM
I will come back to this later, but read through your replies and wanted to thank you all...you have helped put my mind at ease. Maybe I get caught up in labels, and now that I've veered so far away from religion, it is awkward to think of attending church. But like you all say, I should just enjoy it, and I will try not to stress over it. lol I just wish I knew why I felt a void in my life, despite my life being fulfilling and happy. Blaming it on the season seems easy to do, but truth is, I've felt this way since the summer. I'll have to mull it over.

Hugs for you all, thank you! Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
14-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Ah, that fuzzy warm feeling.

I've only been to church twice in my life however I did spend much of my childhood in a dance studio which has always given me a nice warm feeling.

There are similarities between dancing and religion even though it may not seem so. The class has a ritualistic pattern. From the barre warm up to the ending bow to the teacher, it's rather church like and this is where I get my warm fuzzies from. But fortunately for me there is no god, no sin, no guilt and no hell to worry about. I still take several classes a week and except for the occasional sore muscle and callused feet it's a good way to include a ritual into my life without the religious crap.

You might be reconnecting with your father. There's nothing wrong with that but he probably is hoping you will return to church permanently.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I used to accompany my mom (also atheist) to church on the xmas eve midnight mass. It was kind of romantic, the walk to church in the falling snow, the candles, the singing - mom went there for the chorus. There were usually known/famous singers, at least partially, just on xmas eve, and she loved it. If she was still around, I'd accompany her again in a heart beat.

It is sometimes difficult to draw the line between culture and religion. For a very long time the church was the only entity with money that furthered the arts and architecture, and I am not ready to throw out all that culture and history.

A matter of not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-12-2014, 05:40 PM
This church I used to go to had a single "singer", along with the other people singing together with him, a man playing the piano with a microphone. Damn was he good. That + the candle-like lighting of the church was a nice mix.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]