Confession: Going to Church for Xmas this Year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2014, 07:58 PM
RE: Confession: Going to Church for Xmas this Year
Don't fret over going. If you decide you enjoyed the experience, and want to fill that void with church going, I'd suggest a universal Unitarian church. From what I can gather, they seem to have the good message and community without a lot of the "god" stuff.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid695235

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
14-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Nothing wrong with it.

I went to mass this morning.

I think on Tuesday we're supposed to go to a friends home to help them celebrate Hanukkah.

Christmas eve again to mass.

No big deal, no belief, but I'm a sucker for candles and music.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I'll be going this Christmas also. Hey, preacher's kid and all.....when in Rome....
The music is usually pretty good. And hell, I gotta admit that with my shiny new skeptic's decoder ring, the service and especially the sermon are actually interesting, as are the varied attitudes of the congregation.

As a PK in a small town, suppose I've never known church to be anything but family. No megachurch bullshit, but a close knit family. Of course always just as dysfunctional as any other, but I never knew any other life but that vibe.

Granted, as soon as it was my own choice to make I quit going and never really looked back. But I don't have any problem turning around and looking it straight in the eye..... appreciating what deserves to be appreciated and cocking an eyebrow at the rest.

Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post