Confession of prejudice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2012, 09:06 PM
RE: Confession of prejudice.
(02-11-2012 07:20 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 03:20 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Because it was the same bias that men had that created a patriarchal society, effectively abusing women hundreds of years. I am neither biased in favor of men, nor biased in favor of women. Anyone who is, in fact, biased in favor of either is a fool. Using gender as a means of defining a person's character is as accurate as using a person's skin color. I have yet to find any evidence that either gender is "better" than the other.

There are few things that I am biased, or am okay with being biased towards. I am actively opposed to religion, and am far more critical of a religion's statements or actions than many other institutions. I am definitely biased towards alternative medicine, only because its claims are rarely correct and are often disproven. I am biased towards any woo, essentially, but only with sufficient reasons. They have not supplied any evidence for their claims but continue to persist.
You're absolutely right, but don't mix bias with belief, I don't think that women are better than men, I know they're the same, and only differenciable on a individual basis Big Grin
Excellent. Only, I wasn't mixing bias and belief. The person I was originally addressing plainly said they were biased in favor of women because they are, and I quote, "in general, better than men".

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 09:36 PM
(02-11-2012 09:06 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 07:20 AM)nach_in Wrote:  You're absolutely right, but don't mix bias with belief, I don't think that women are better than men, I know they're the same, and only differenciable on a individual basis Big Grin
Excellent. Only, I wasn't mixing bias and belief. The person I was originally addressing plainly said they were biased in favor of women because they are, and I quote, "in general, better than men".
"[...] I tend to think they're better, on average, than men." Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-11-2012, 10:01 PM
(02-11-2012 05:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 04:21 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Nice to see my presence has influenced you to(try to)get over that prejudice.

I am a strong adovcate of fairness and justice, so I have no racial, sexual orientation,or status prejudice. I guess if I had to really think about it, it would be stupid people who think they know what they are talking about. Sometimes I include myself into that catagory. I can't stand it when a person starts talking about the Big Bang theory and I end up counting the mistakes the person made while explaining it in my head.

I am prejudice against woo and alternative medicine as well, and I would think lower of you if you didn't understand that autumn is NOT a month.
Care to test your claims?

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1
Good luck!

Fine... I barely have ANY prejudice.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-11-2012, 04:38 AM
(31-10-2012 02:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men. I'm also biased against gay men, probably because I've met the worst side of the bell curve Tongue

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
03-11-2012, 05:39 AM
I have to admit that I am an asshat on many different levels when it comes to prejudices and racism as well.

First of all, my last boyfriend was black .. and as you are probably aware from my pictures am I white. This is not a its ok to be racist because I dated one statement.. this was a complete eye opening experience for me.. I have to say that I grew up in KY - at least till the age of 5.. and my dad made nigger jokes all the time.. I accepted it as truth as I did all of his idiotic "hillbilly" beliefs - ( that was a joke btw from the thread) he had confederate flags in his machine shop and told these jokes like it was the way people were supposed to believe.. and as a child I actually walked up to a nice black female in a library just minding her own business and kicked her in the shin and called her a nigger.. at the age of 4.. that was awful for me and awful for the verbal abuse my mother received ( very deservingly ) but I was a daddys girl.. ignorant baby.. BUT that being said when I moved to TX and away from my father I still held these prejudices without even meaning to .. I would often with my "republican" friends -- as an adult mind you.. make awful black jokes.. and send txt msgs and emails about it.. and laugh at the white people who were offended.. I didn't really think that I was prejudice.. as I had about 3 black friends.. I just thought it was funny irreverent humor to be taken lightly and passed on .. Until I met Quincy.. and mind you I had been asked out by upstanding black men with educations who were very attractive and had always passed on it.. People that I wish I could go back in time and get to know actually.. but anyhow.. Quincy was a friend of a friend and we hung out for a couple months.. all the while him asking me to go on dates with him.. I had drunkenly made out with him a couple times and actually felt dirty or ashamed of it the next day ( to my great horror now ) but he finally asked me.. will you not even give me a chance just because I am black. AND THAT WAS THE MOMENT of self actualization.. or I guess not self .. but imposed question I had to answer and really made me think.. but being the asshat that I am .. I answered completely honestly and said yes.. I do not mix races.. ( be it I had dated Asians and Mexicans with no problems not sure why ) but I told him it was because life was complicated enough.. that I didn't want to have the sterotype of the women who date black men.. I myself had judged these women very openly in the past -- as I thought they were generally overweight or curvy and that they tried to hard to mold to that ghetto culture ( forgive my asshatishness - that is drunk kelliense btw ) but I said no.. and I was honest.. I said that I didn't want to have a grey baby.. that I didn't want the looks and judgment from people.. I didn't know how any of my friends and family would look at me.. was I pathetic because of dating a black man.. However, when I went home that night I thought about the relationship that I had already forged with Quincy.. how much he made me laugh.. how adorable he was.. how attractive his skin actually was.. it is so beautiful actually it is now one of the things I envy -- he makes a great living and owned his own company that he started because his mother died of cancer in a hospice basically and he wanted to make it easier for family to get information about their loved ones - that up until his company were often stored in boxes and old filing cabinets.. I know im on a rant here.. but ive wanted to share this for a while.. but my basic theme is .. I thought he was a stand up guy.. we had chemistry and he was beautiful inside and out.. and so I called him and I apologized for my candid honestly which by all means probably made him feel like a 2nd class citizen.. and he is way more educated and successful and fucking open to people and ideas than I was. and I told him yes.. lets go to lunch tomorrow.. when we aren't drinking and have a mini date.. and then we could go from there.. he wasn't keen on the idea of me "testing the waters" with him.. and I completely understand that.. he said that an old girlfriend of his actually broke up with him by saying she was done with the black experiment.. how fucking awful .. so we went to chipotle for lunch .. and I have to admit.. I thought about the places we were going and the people who would be in there and the judgements and looks that I would get from people.. to my utter surprise .. I had a fucking blast with him and my face hurt from laughter when we departed.. and I didn't notice one weird look from anyone.. and I continued to date him for almost a year... and what I learned was ( and you will probably not like this ) I more than likely would not do it again. It was not the judgements that I did receive from people.. most people had absolutely no issue with it.. encouraged it and loved him and myself together.. but Quincy grew up in a bad neighborhood and had put on what he called his "white face" by his own admission.. he talked a certain way when around me and at work and around my friends.. and he told me this was the norm and that to be a successful black man you had to.. but my rebuttal was always.. why is talking correctly and being a little less loud and outright obnoxious ( and Im just talking about his "black face" not black people in general ) and then a completely different way when he was on the phone with his friends.. and it wasn't just that at all.. cause that was understandable to an extent.. but I think the issue was really that he was racist himself- and I hear the term reverse racism a lot but I think it is bs.. he was just full out racist -at first when we started dating we could and would go anywhere that I wanted to go.. but as we got more serious.. he began to say that place is too "white" or "rudey poo" ( never understood that one ) but he has a huge chip on his shoulder from what he and his family have gone through because of his skin color.. and I probably attributed to that with my admission of not wanting to date him because he was black.. but it was the truth.. and I value honesty even when it is hurtful.. and I thought my reasons were justified.. (I'm leaving a lot out because i'm going to have to charge for this novel ( no one would pay for my awful thoughts strung together so poorly I know ).. but for some simple examples there were quite a few times that black women called me nigger lover - and that I was stealing their men and that I was white trash ( which I am far from that sterotype - at least the typical one ) and the drugs that he did.. that I did with him at times because I was curious and wanted to know what and where he was coming from.. ( my push it off on someone else view ) look in the end.. it was exactly what I feared it would be and a lot worse actually .. but what I did come out learning was that I needed to address what was in the back of my head.. that I was a fucking all out racist.. and that I never had owned up to it or admitted to it in the past.. and that now it is something that I struggle to fight against. I know that he is not the rule - but a person - and the experience was also a really good one because I loved him truly - so I am trying hard to look at all people a little less judgmentally .. and I have come leaps and bounds for it.. I don't know if I would date another black man to be honest.. but I find myself very attracted to them now.. and certainly would be open to the idea.. if he could convince me it wouldn't be a repeat -- but there I am falling back into my bs.. that another human being would have to convince me of something based on his color.. fml.. I'm trying.. and a work in progress..
btw im so sorry for this long ass post.. however.. it is something I have wanted to share with you guys forever.. and put into words .. and have never had the time or the gumption.. and now.. take your whacks at me.. and im sooo sorry for the black men and for the black women who I sterotyped as well ( but you really do hate white women dating black men.. do you not?? ) who will be understandably offended by this post.. but I am simply addressing a situation that is out there instead of ignoring it...

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
03-11-2012, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 09:11 AM by Vera.)
(03-11-2012 05:39 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I have to admit that I am an asshat on many different levels when it comes to prejudices and racism as well.

First of all, my last boyfriend was black .. and as you are probably aware from my pictures am I white. This is not a its ok to be racist because I dated one statement.. this was a complete eye opening experience for me.. I have to say that I grew up in KY - at least till the age of 5.. and my dad made nigger jokes all the time.. I accepted it as truth as I did all of his idiotic "hillbilly" beliefs - ( that was a joke btw from the thread) he had confederate flags in his machine shop and told these jokes like it was the way people were supposed to believe.. and as a child I actually walked up to a nice black female in a library just minding her own business and kicked her in the shin and called her a nigger.. at the age of 4.. that was awful for me and awful for the verbal abuse my mother received ( very deservingly ) but I was a daddys girl.. ignorant baby.. BUT that being said when I moved to TX and away from my father I still held these prejudices without even meaning to .. I would often with my "republican" friends -- as an adult mind you.. make awful black jokes.. and send txt msgs and emails about it.. and laugh at the white people who were offended.. I didn't really think that I was prejudice.. as I had about 3 black friends.. I just thought it was funny irreverent humor to be taken lightly and passed on .. Until I met Quincy.. and mind you I had been asked out by upstanding black men with educations who were very attractive and had always passed on it.. People that I wish I could go back in time and get to know actually.. but anyhow.. Quincy was a friend of a friend and we hung out for a couple months.. all the while him asking me to go on dates with him.. I had drunkenly made out with him a couple times and actually felt dirty or ashamed of it the next day ( to my great horror now ) but he finally asked me.. will you not even give me a chance just because I am black. AND THAT WAS THE MOMENT of self actualization.. or I guess not self .. but imposed question I had to answer and really made me think.. but being the asshat that I am .. I answered completely honestly and said yes.. I do not mix races.. ( be it I had dated Asians and Mexicans with no problems not sure why ) but I told him it was because life was complicated enough.. that I didn't want to have the sterotype of the women who date black men.. I myself had judged these women very openly in the past -- as I thought they were generally overweight or curvy and that they tried to hard to mold to that ghetto culture ( forgive my asshatishness - that is drunk kelliense btw ) but I said no.. and I was honest.. I said that I didn't want to have a grey baby.. that I didn't want the looks and judgment from people.. I didn't know how any of my friends and family would look at me.. was I pathetic because of dating a black man.. However, when I went home that night I thought about the relationship that I had already forged with Quincy.. how much he made me laugh.. how adorable he was.. how attractive his skin actually was.. it is so beautiful actually it is now one of the things I envy -- he makes a great living and owned his own company that he started because his mother died of cancer in a hospice basically and he wanted to make it easier for family to get information about their loved ones - that up until his company were often stored in boxes and old filing cabinets.. I know im on a rant here.. but ive wanted to share this for a while.. but my basic theme is .. I thought he was a stand up guy.. we had chemistry and he was beautiful inside and out.. and so I called him and I apologized for my candid honestly which by all means probably made him feel like a 2nd class citizen.. and he is way more educated and successful and fucking open to people and ideas than I was. and I told him yes.. lets go to lunch tomorrow.. when we aren't drinking and have a mini date.. and then we could go from there.. he wasn't keen on the idea of me "testing the waters" with him.. and I completely understand that.. he said that an old girlfriend of his actually broke up with him by saying she was done with the black experiment.. how fucking awful .. so we went to chipotle for lunch .. and I have to admit.. I thought about the places we were going and the people who would be in there and the judgements and looks that I would get from people.. to my utter surprise .. I had a fucking blast with him and my face hurt from laughter when we departed.. and I didn't notice one weird look from anyone.. and I continued to date him for almost a year... and what I learned was ( and you will probably not like this ) I more than likely would not do it again. It was not the judgements that I did receive from people.. most people had absolutely no issue with it.. encouraged it and loved him and myself together.. but Quincy grew up in a bad neighborhood and had put on what he called his "white face" by his own admission.. he talked a certain way when around me and at work and around my friends.. and he told me this was the norm and that to be a successful black man you had to.. but my rebuttal was always.. why is talking correctly and being a little less loud and outright obnoxious ( and Im just talking about his "black face" not black people in general ) and then a completely different way when he was on the phone with his friends.. and it wasn't just that at all.. cause that was understandable to an extent.. but I think the issue was really that he was racist himself- and I hear the term reverse racism a lot but I think it is bs.. he was just full out racist -at first when we started dating we could and would go anywhere that I wanted to go.. but as we got more serious.. he began to say that place is too "white" or "rudey poo" ( never understood that one ) but he has a huge chip on his shoulder from what he and his family have gone through because of his skin color.. and I probably attributed to that with my admission of not wanting to date him because he was black.. but it was the truth.. and I value honesty even when it is hurtful.. and I thought my reasons were justified.. (I'm leaving a lot out because i'm going to have to charge for this novel ( no one would pay for my awful thoughts strung together so poorly I know ).. but for some simple examples there were quite a few times that black women called me nigger lover - and that I was stealing their men and that I was white trash ( which I am far from that sterotype - at least the typical one ) and the drugs that he did.. that I did with him at times because I was curious and wanted to know what and where he was coming from.. ( my push it off on someone else view ) look in the end.. it was exactly what I feared it would be and a lot worse actually .. but what I did come out learning was that I needed to address what was in the back of my head.. that I was a fucking all out racist.. and that I never had owned up to it or admitted to it in the past.. and that now it is something that I struggle to fight against. I know that he is not the rule - but a person - and the experience was also a really good one because I loved him truly - so I am trying hard to look at all people a little less judgmentally .. and I have come leaps and bounds for it.. I don't know if I would date another black man to be honest.. but I find myself very attracted to them now.. and certainly would be open to the idea.. if he could convince me it wouldn't be a repeat -- but there I am falling back into my bs.. that another human being would have to convince me of something based on his color.. fml.. I'm trying.. and a work in progress..

btw im so sorry for this long ass post.. however.. it is something I have wanted to share with you guys forever.. and put into words .. and have never had the time or the gumption.. and now.. take your whacks at me.. and im sooo sorry for the black men and for the black women who I sterotyped as well ( but you really do hate white women dating black men.. do you not?? ) who will be understandably offended by this post.. but I am simply addressing a situation that is out there instead of ignoring it...
There really isn't much to say (other than that I'm truly sorry that you have had to grow up in such a racially charged environment; and when I say sorry, I don't mean it in a patronising way at all, it's just that things that we imbibe as kids are soooo difficult to get rid of as adults).

This being said, I think that the issues you have are more cultural than racial; what you were describing sounded to me more a problem you have with the way some black people are in the States.There is no universal black or white mentality anywhere, there may be cultural similarities and distinctions but they do not spring from race.

I myself have gone out with black people... wow, this was actually difficult to say, because the one thing I found out about myself in Brazil, was that I really don't think about people in terms of race, so I never think about those guys as the black guys I dated... anyway, what I meant to say was that in my experience it's so wonderful to completely forget about race, so much so that a person's race doesn't really register with you, to the extent that sometimes you (or I) would have to remind myself that I was talking to a black person, when I wanted to say something about races and was wondering what the other person might think about it (not because it was offensive, but because I totally worry too much if what I'm saying may in some weird way be misconstrued and give offence).

Sorry, went on a bit long; what I meant to say was try to remember that you have only experienced what may be considered a typical Afro-American mentality and that's not really about race.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
This is a long one ...

Three biases I have that immediately spring to mind are extremely obese people, black people who act “ghetto,” and the super religious. I realize that many people gain weight easily because they didn’t win the genetic lottery; my sister and I are two of them. Our mother is a former amateur bodybuilder and has been in great shape her entire life. Our father, on the other hand, has struggled with his weight. We have inherited this struggle. Nature saw it fit to give us the slowest metabolisms to ever grace human beings. I can gain 2 pounds just from eating a breath mint. My sister packed on enough weight for two people after having her children. You could partly blame the weight gain on hormones, but most of it is lifestyle. All she does is sit around eating food and not exercising. Then she has the nerve to complain about how fat she is. This is my biggest gripe with fat people. People complain about hormones or genetics, but they don’t do any kind of exercising whatsoever. They just eat and eat and eat until they are so grotesquely huge that they have to use a scooter to get around (or a crane has to hall them out through a hole in the roof). My sister is nowhere near that size, but I have had the displeasure of seeing such people at Wal-Mart. They are so heavy that you can hear the bogged down gears of the scooter screaming "KILL ME! KILL ME PLEASE!!!" It's just disgusting. I’m not saying I’m Mr. Universe or anything, but at least I’ve done push-ups and sit-ups periodically over the years to keep from turning into a human beach ball. I have gained weight despite this, so I’ve been running and walking over the last four months or so to lose some weight. It hurts like hell because of an old injury I sustained to my foot while serving in the military, but I’ve already dropped 15 pounds. So if I can do this with a messed up foot, what possible excuse do obese people have?

People in my extended family are every color of the rainbow. I’m pretty sure I have people from just about every major ethnic group represented therein. Therefore, before I continue, I want to say I have absolutely nothing against black people as a whole. I know from my study of evolution and deep human history that the original ancestral population of humans was black. Having said that, I absolutely cannot stand black people who act “ghetto.” I’m talking about those that wear their pants down around their ankles, get in fights at the drop of a hat, and, when they do, attack a single person with a group. The baggy clothes are really not so much of a problem for me. I just personally can’t see how they walk. What really bothers me is their propensity for violence and the fact that they revel in it. Once, while on my way to work, I walked by an older black man telling a younger black man that there was “an art to being ghetto.” That’s not really something I would want to pass on to the next generation. Sure, knowing how to handle oneself is key, but knowing how to avoid confrontation is even more important. You can’t solve all of life’s problems with a fist (or a whole bunch of fists). There are black kids at the local high school who are constantly getting arrested for assaulting teachers. In fact, two days ago, one particular kid got arrested because he punched a female teacher in the face, wrestled her to the ground, and got her in a head lock. Now, I realize that acting ghetto has become a small part of black culture thanks to media portrayals of such people as being rich and powerful. However, somebody eventually has to take a stand against perpetuating the ghetto stereotype. I’ve seen one such example (and maybe you guys have too); it was a video of an uncle beating his nephew with a belt because the teenager was posting videos on Facebook saying he was a gangbanger who had killed numerous people. If the uncle had found out sooner, this would have most likely saved his nephew’s life. Unfortunately, the teen was shot to death sometime later by a drug dealer for reasons that are currently unknown to me.

I really don’t know what to say about super religious people that hasn’t already been said. Despite my dislike of organized religion, I believe people are free to believe whatever they want. But I draw the line when they start forcing their beliefs on others. My first experience with this happened when I attended high school in the south. Several of my friends and I were atheists. This resulted in two things happening when my more religious peers found out: 1) they followed us around constantly “witnessing” to us; and 2) threats and physical violence. One of my friends didn’t mind the witnessing so much because a particularly attractive girl was trying her best to convert him. I, on the other hand, was stuck with guys who felt hell fire and fists were a better conversion tool than a great rack and a beautiful smile. When they figured out “you’re going to go to hell” wouldn’t work on me, they resorted to “convert or we’ll hurt you.” One guy tried to punch me, but I took a clean chunk of meat out of one of his fingers with a metal ruler I had in my hand at the time. Another guy on a separate occasion tried to hit me, but, thanks to previous experience in martial arts, I wrenched his arm behind his back and kicked the back of his knee, making him fall on the ground. This is when they stopped messing with me. Other examples of people pushing their religion on others include people that travel to foreign countries for missionary work. I met at least one girl in college who did this kind of stuff over the summer break. Closer to home, the sister of my great-aunt (by marriage) is currently in South American doing missionary work. I personally think such work is stupid because they are basically dangling food and clothes in front of people just to illicit converts. If I was starving and cold, I would convert to Satanism if they gave me what I needed to survive. Therefore, they are not true conversions. Beyond that, I think it shows lots of hubris because they think people “need” to be Christians. They would be pissed if a Muslim Mullah came to their church and started preaching of the wonders of Allah and promising to pay off their debts. Let’s not forget the assholes that try to use politics to push their views on the American people. These are the worst kinds of religious people in my opinion. It takes a lot to piss me off, but my blood starts to boil when I hear about elected officials who vote in measures allowing teachers to teach creationism in classes, denying gays the right to marriage, or dictating what a woman can or cannot do with their bodies. What's worse is that some of these people serve on congressional science boards. How crazy is that? Science-haters deciding on what science is. That's like KKK members serving in the NAACP.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
03-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I think Vera gets it more than anyone else who I have read thus far (ge I skipped yours for the time being, I will read later). It is a cultural thing more than a racial thing, and I hate the "ghetto" culture as well. Don't get me wrong, there is a racial correlation that is probably more than anything the remnants of slavery and inequality; and by that I mean people with money and power has passed that along through the generations. I was born into poverty as well and many would have probably considered my family to be white trash if you looked at us 15 or 20 years ago. Anyhow, poverty is a catalyst for a bad environment. That is not to say that everyone that grows up in poverty are bad people, or stupid, or whatever. I hate the so called white trash and hood rats that make themselves comfortable in poverty, that promote the ideas of getting what they want as easy as possible instead of working their way out of it. It is not easy, but it is certainly doable, and I am living proof of that. I can tell you many of my childhood friends have turned to theft, drug abuse, and fraud...My parents worked hard to give me what I needed and occasionally what I wanted, I am working hard to give my future children what they need and want the easy way.

Am I racist? Yes, to some degree, but I think everyone is. Even folks who have mixed families still judge people based on their race without getting to know them as individuals. It doesn't mean they hate "them". The same goes for sex, religion, nationality, and all sorts of other things. It is when you discriminate, especially at a institutional level that you should feel guilty. You can't always control what you think, but you can control how you act.

Is sexual repulsion to a race racism? I dunno. I am generally not attracted to black woman, though there have been some exceptions. On the flip side black woman (and mulattoes) seem to love me...sexually that is. Maybe I am the forbidden fruit because I am a gentleman, white, kind, and have a hillbilly accent? I've not felt the same kind of attraction from white women, though Asiatic woman tend to like me too. It's a wonder I wound up with a white wife Consider

03-11-2012, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 06:21 PM by Luminon.)
I was prejudiced against religious belief that people hold dear. I thought non-belief is superior to someone else's Christianity. I had been willing to let them slip by, of course, for the sake of tolerance. But recently, I tried to get a professor to lead my thesis. She kind of liked it and said it would be a wonderful blog material. However, I had invested much effort and originality into the proposal, but she totally trashed it in formal criteria. I unwittingly used dozens of technical terms that I apparently had no right to use without years of specialized economic studies and reading several expert books on each of the terms. Needless to say, I was devastated and now I'm going to try another topic with another professor, something "softer".

And now I also can very vividly imagine, what it is like to make someone lose their ground, their belief, their hope for the future. It's fucking terrible. It's a very wrong thing to even try to do to someone without his consent. Reading the evil Bible parts they have never heard of... It's like infecting people with a dangerous serum of doubt, so they go into torturous delirium and emerge after a few years free from faith, probably better off, but for a terrible price, losing their own old life and certainty. Right now I don't know what I'd say to a believer if the faith would come up in a discussion.
Now I also understand why atheists are so hated. Let's say there's someone next door who has the power to make many years of your life be wasted.

Btw, for those not understanding, people like me have a problem with empathy when it comes to events in life that they did not yet personally experience. I want to be empathic, I'm just not good at it when it comes to unfamiliar social things. So the eye and heart-opening experiences tend to be quite a shock.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
First of all, non-beleif is superior to Christianity Wink Secondly, this is one of the reasons why my non-beleif isn't militant, not that I am judging those who are militant Atheists, if Christianity can be militant, why not? Just not my cup o' tea. Thirdly, sounds like your proffesor is a pussy, but that is a judgment I am making based on your word. If you don't intend to use it at school post it on the forum, that is, if you don't mind, I'd love to read it, your always an interesting read Lumi! Lastly, I am in the same boat your in when it comes to empathy, sometimes I feel guilty for lacking the ability to feel that emotional conection. I feel like I'm somehow fucked up; like a self-serving asshole that only cares about his own wants and needs. I think it is by biggest character flaw. I do not think I am a real sociopath though, I do care about others, I'm just not great at feeling what they do, and therefore sometimes I am a self-serving asshole. Also, now I want some tea Drinking Beverage