Confession of prejudice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Confession of prejudice.
Everyone has their own prejudices. No matter how open-minded you are, nor how well you believe you know yourself, you have biases. Some of these you may be aware of. Others are hidden from even you. People do not like to admit to this biases, and prejudices. It's very unbecoming, especially in this day and age, but our experiences cause us to see patterns which we use to categorize, label, and prejudge. This can be helpful for a lot of situations as a means of survival, as a way of dealing with a lot of information at once, but it often leads to unjustifiable results based on incomplete data. It is no fault of my own, I am imperfect just like everyone else, but it is something that struggle to go against. It is my instinct. I think recognizing, and combating your prejudices is all that can be reasonably expected of anyone, and it is a personal goal I strive for everyday. Being on the forum a couple of months now has made me realize one of my prejudices which I haven't really been fully aware of until now. I have a tendency to have a biased opinion of the young people. I by far do not give them enough credit. It was not too many years ago I was in their shoes, thinking similar thoughts, thinking myself their equal, and I can't help but think there was probably some twenty, or thirty-something thinking the same thing about me, even at an unconscious level. Shame on me! I felt alienated as a teen because I didn't fit in with my peers, and now I am not accepting those same like-minded teens. Reading through the thread "How old are you?" which I re-created was just encouraging my unfair thoughts. Now that this forum has helped me realize the error of my ways I will do my best to judge only after I have the evidence to do so.

If you'd like to bring up other irrational prejudices, please feel free.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
31-10-2012, 01:54 AM
RE: Confession of prejudice.
I am prejudice against pastors, mullahs, priests etc.

I try to see them a just the latest in a long line of victims... victims of our environment, if evolution, of the times we live in.

But I cannot help seeing them as perpetrators of an horrendous crime.

I try but I fail.

Oh! And gays. I hate fags!

31-10-2012, 01:55 AM
(31-10-2012 12:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Everyone has their own prejudices. No matter how open-minded you are, nor how well you believe you know yourself, you have biases. Some of these you may be aware of. Others are hidden from even you. People do not like to admit to this biases, and prejudices. It's very unbecoming, especially in this day and age, but our experiences cause us to see patterns which we use to categorize, label, and prejudge. This can be helpful for a lot of situations as a means of survival, as a way of dealing with a lot of information at once, but it often leads to unjustifiable results based on incomplete data. It is no fault of my own, I am imperfect just like everyone else, but it is something that struggle to go against. It is my instinct. I think recognizing, and combating your prejudices is all that can be reasonably expected of anyone, and it is a personal goal I strive for everyday. Being on the forum a couple of months now has made me realize one of my prejudices which I haven't really been fully aware of until now. I have a tendency to have a biased opinion of the young people. I by far do not give them enough credit. It was not too many years ago I was in their shoes, thinking similar thoughts, thinking myself their equal, and I can't help but think there was probably some twenty, or thirty-something thinking the same thing about me, even at an unconscious level. Shame on me! I felt alienated as a teen because I didn't fit in with my peers, and now I am not accepting those same like-minded teens. Reading through the thread "How old are you?" which I re-created was just encouraging my unfair thoughts. Now that this forum has helped me realize the error of my ways I will do my best to judge only after I have the evidence to do so.

If you'd like to bring up other irrational prejudices, please feel free.

Thanks for sharing this, I don't think I ever questioned honestly on what I may be prejiduce about. I am sooo focused on accepting and routing for the underdogs all the time that it doesnt occur to me often to think about how I feel. What my first gut reaction is.

Funny you say teen because I am the opposite, I'm a huge youth advocate and worked for 8 years as a child and youth councillor before having my own kids. I worked with really rough kids in a half way house where they were locked in either waiting for trial on things like murder or getting out of jail and being integrated back into society. I also worked with a well off community's youth centre that had a huge budget and most of the kids came from well off families. Both experiences were unique in many different ways, presenting their own problems but I found a few things about youth that always inspired and blew me away. Youth have this amazing vital energy they tap into, this hope for the future, a drive, amazing resilience and intense feeling. They go 100 percent. I've often wondered if I learned more from them than they did me.

Good for you for realizing this. I love when people change to see youth in a more positive way, there are a lot of people who don't understand or remember what it's like to figure life out at that age. A youth once told me, "You may have experienced more than me but you haven't experienced the same as me. Right now, we are experiencing now, together." Amazing insight.

I thought about this question. I am jaded towards people who are snooty or bitchy and also 'white trash'. I have to think about the snooty one more but I can easily guess the WT one is associated with a town I lived in for a couple of years that was very rough and monoculture in the wrong kinds of hill billy and since then I've felt this way, probably because I don't like being associated with the place. I have to realize, though, that anyone of 'them' can leave that place and be their own person too- in fact, they already are even if they stay, and I shouldn't define in a lump sum like that- especially when a few people became my good friends.

Thank you for providing the platform for self awareness, DL.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-10-2012, 02:23 AM
(31-10-2012 01:55 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thanks for sharing this, I don't think I ever questioned honestly on what I may be prejiduce about. I am sooo focused on accepting and routing for the underdogs all the time that it doesnt occur to me often to think about how I feel. What my first gut reaction is.

Funny you say teen because I am the opposite, I'm a huge youth advocate and worked for 8 years as a child and youth councillor before having my own kids. I worked with really rough kids in a half way house where they were locked in either waiting for trial on things like murder or getting out of jail and being integrated back into society. I also worked with a well off community's youth centre that had a huge budget and most of the kids came from well off families. Both experiences were unique in many different ways, presenting their own problems but I found a few things about youth that always inspired and blew me away. Youth have this amazing vital energy they tap into, this hope for the future, a drive, amazing resilience and intense feeling. They go 100 percent. I've often wondered if I learned more from them than they did me.

Good for you for realizing this. I love when people change to see youth in a more positive way, there are a lot of people who don't understand or remember what it's like to figure life out at that age. A youth once told me, "You may have experienced more than me but you haven't experienced the same as me. Right now, we are experiencing now, together." Amazing insight.

I thought about this question. I am jaded towards people who are snooty or bitchy and also 'white trash'. I have to think about the snooty one more but I can easily guess the WT one is associated with a town I lived in for a couple of years that was very rough and monoculture in the wrong kinds of hill billy and since then I've felt this way, probably because I don't like being associated with the place. I have to realize, though, that anyone of 'them' can leave that place and be their own person too- in fact, they already are even if they stay, and I shouldn't define in a lump sum like that- especially when a few people became my good friends.

Thank you for providing the platform for self awareness, DL.

Well, I guess you have just had more of an opportunity to be around great inspiring kids. I really did like the quote you provided from that youth, agree that is a very cool insight. I guess I just have been isolated from children and young adults for several years now, so I forgot how brilliant they can sometimes be. After all I have spent the last 5 years in the military. There are older teens on warships, and on battle fields, but it is not the same. Those teens are forced to take on a lot of responsibility and become "adults" really quickly. More often than not I was severely overworked, leaving little time for serious discussions about non-work related stuff, and even then you stay in your pay-grade on the most part. I had a duty to maintain a professional distance from them. Anyhow, I guess I did just forget. I am a full time college student now, Freshmen, and around them, but I am not very social. I often go entire classes without learning a single students name. Even with that the overwhelming majority here are unable or unwilling to be skeptical because of the religious indoctrination here in the bible-belt. It's been pleasant to realize how great some of these teens are, like A2, and Magoo.

With all of that out of the way Dodgy I am a hillbilly. A lot of folks here are poor, and I was certainly poor growing up. I am probably grew up as what you might call 'white trash' though I wouldn't have ever considered myself that. When I left active duty I could've gone just about anywhere in the world (or stayed in and did that) but I came home. I love it here. There is more to being a hillbilly than what you see in the media.
Knowing that do you think less of me?

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
31-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men. I'm also biased against gay men, probably because I've met the worst side of the bell curve Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
31-10-2012, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 02:39 AM by Free Thought.)
I am biased against... everything I suppose, religion, heath state, economic state, homeland, gender, political ideals...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
31-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Generally, when a person starts speaking (regardless of race, culture or beliefs), I think "Ugh...this is gonna suck."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
31-10-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:There is more to being a hillbilly than what you see in the media.
Knowing that do you think less of me?

Nope, of course not. That's why I said the wrong kind of hill billy. Most of us here, including myself, have some hill billy in them. Smile I prob shouldn't have even said that because it's not at all what I meant, hill billy is something completely different then what I mean for the people I get 'that' feeling for. We lived on an acreage where friends of the hill billy nature Wink would ask to target practice with their guns or use the trails to snowmobile on. I loved a lot of them, our friends, but a couple mixed in the bunch would give me the heebee jeebee feelings, almost like a creep vibe (with follow up rumors to support creepy feelings *shudder*). There seemed to be more of this in this particular town than any other city or town I've been in. It has taken me a lot to realize this place was isolated in this manner and is not the rule, nor some of the good people there should be judged for the ones that bring that place down.
31-10-2012, 02:50 AM
(31-10-2012 02:41 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Generally, when a person starts speaking (regardless of race, culture or beliefs), I think "Ugh...this is gonna suck."

So then just mutes you would not be prejiduce against? Is typing the same as speaking, so any form of communication, or just strictly speaking?
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-10-2012, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 03:45 AM by Vera.)
I'm honestly not trying to be offensive or acting superior, but as long as I can remember I've had a serious issue with the military as an institution, in this age and day when it's voluntary. So I need to remind myself I can't put everybody under the same denominator (it hasn't helped that with the exception of folks here, those I have met from the military haven't been the sharpest tools in the shed).

Priests and the rest go without saying. Same for people who are into all sorts of new-agey crap. Actually, I have another serious issue with any sort of organised system of teachings. It may be the most peaceful and well-intentioned one, but the word doctrine immediately springs to mind, as do restriction, coercion and dumbing down.

(Hunting is not particularly appealing, either, pretty much anything that involves violence and killing.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."