Confession of prejudice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 03:19 AM
RE: Confession of prejudice.
(31-10-2012 02:48 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
Quote:There is more to being a hillbilly than what you see in the media.
Knowing that do you think less of me?

Nope, of course not. That's why I said the wrong kind of hill billy. Most of us here, including myself, have some hill billy in them. Smile I prob shouldn't have even said that because it's not at all what I meant, hill billy is something completely different then what I mean for the people I get 'that' feeling for. We lived on an acreage where friends of the hill billy nature Wink would ask to target practice with their guns or use the trails to snowmobile on. I loved a lot of them, our friends, but a couple mixed in the bunch would give me the heebee jeebee feelings, almost like a creep vibe (with follow up rumors to support creepy feelings *shudder*). There seemed to be more of this in this particular town than any other city or town I've been in. It has taken me a lot to realize this place was isolated in this manner and is not the rule, nor some of the good people there should be judged for the ones that bring that place down.

I realize you are drawing from personal experience, and there is nothing wrong with that. All I am saying is it is a universal thing. You can find "wrong kinds" of people from any culture. Since I identify with "hillbilly" (us mountain folk from southern Appalachian Mountains) I see the term being used as a derogatory term, and it's use as such as being okay a little insulting. Especially since I have traveled the world and found people really buy into the stereotype. You'd be surprised at how many people thought they were 'complimenting' me by saying "You're not a hillbilly, you're smart" or "You're not a hillbilly, you're just country" Angry. Anyway that's enough of my rant. I know you didn't mean to be insulting, just felt I needed to clarify that.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 09:53 AM
(31-10-2012 03:19 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 02:48 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Nope, of course not. That's why I said the wrong kind of hill billy. Most of us here, including myself, have some hill billy in them. Smile I prob shouldn't have even said that because it's not at all what I meant, hill billy is something completely different then what I mean for the people I get 'that' feeling for. We lived on an acreage where friends of the hill billy nature Wink would ask to target practice with their guns or use the trails to snowmobile on. I loved a lot of them, our friends, but a couple mixed in the bunch would give me the heebee jeebee feelings, almost like a creep vibe (with follow up rumors to support creepy feelings *shudder*). There seemed to be more of this in this particular town than any other city or town I've been in. It has taken me a lot to realize this place was isolated in this manner and is not the rule, nor some of the good people there should be judged for the ones that bring that place down.

I realize you are drawing from personal experience, and there is nothing wrong with that. All I am saying is it is a universal thing. You can find "wrong kinds" of people from any culture. Since I identify with "hillbilly" (us mountain folk from southern Appalachian Mountains) I see the term being used as a derogatory term, and it's use as such as being okay a little insulting. Especially since I have traveled the world and found people really buy into the stereotype. You'd be surprised at how many people thought they were 'complimenting' me by saying "You're not a hillbilly, you're smart" or "You're not a hillbilly, you're just country" Angry. Anyway that's enough of my rant. I know you didn't mean to be insulting, just felt I needed to clarify that.

Sorry, I'm still not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying you have an issue with hillbilly being seen as an okay and acceptable term (as in people who consider themselves 'hillbilly' should be proud) or are you saying that the term hillbilly is strictly negative and should only be associated with a negative connotation?

You are right, I don't mean to be insulting. I'd love to clarify what I am trying to say but I want to make sure we are on the same page for terms.

The thing about being offended or feeling insulted is that there is a difference between personal attack and general meaning. Also, this is a thread you started about hidden prejudice we may have, so I am already saying I don't desire to have these things and I already identify them as something wrong in my nature- pointing that out again and 're-calling' me on it just makes me want to crawl into a shell since it's already a tough topic and I am not someone who likes to go around offending and insulting others. Just sayin' Smile
31-10-2012, 10:02 AM
(31-10-2012 02:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men.

No we ain't No I'm guessing it might be a case of familiarity (of men) breeding contempt.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
31-10-2012, 01:04 PM
(31-10-2012 09:53 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sorry, I'm still not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying you have an issue with hillbilly being seen as an okay and acceptable term (as in people who consider themselves 'hillbilly' should be proud) or are you saying that the term hillbilly is strictly negative and should only be associated with a negative connotation?

You are right, I don't mean to be insulting. I'd love to clarify what I am trying to say but I want to make sure we are on the same page for terms.

The thing about being offended or feeling insulted is that there is a difference between personal attack and general meaning. Also, this is a thread you started about hidden prejudice we may have, so I am already saying I don't desire to have these things and I already identify them as something wrong in my nature- pointing that out again and 're-calling' me on it just makes me want to crawl into a shell since it's already a tough topic and I am not someone who likes to go around offending and insulting others. Just sayin' Smile

I am just saying it is generally accepted to be okay used as a derogatory term. Obviously I don't have a problem with it being used since I'm a self described hillbilly. I am just saying the stereotype for hillbilly's is not necessarily true, but it is one of the few terms which is still "okay" to use. It is generally accepted that hillbillies are stupid, ignorant, backwards, poor, technological incompetent, farmers and moonshiners, dresses poorly, wears no shoes, has few teeth, is inbred, racist, homophobic, and incapable of grasping complex ideas. In many ways it is used as "nigger", but for white folks. The biggest differences is that "hillbilly" is still 'okay'. You can go on TV and call some ignorant racist a "hillbilly" and people will applaud, whether he is truly a hillbilly or not. When I say I am a hillbilly I am obviously saying that I am a person from the hills of southern Appalachia. I am not proud of it anymore that I am proud to be white, or American. This are not things I chose, it's just part of who I am.

31-10-2012, 01:14 PM
(31-10-2012 10:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 02:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men.

No we ain't No I'm guessing it might be a case of familiarity (of men) breeding contempt.

I know you aren't. I do have more familiarity with women than men, and usually (straight) men have a way of acting that I find very annoying Shocking

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
31-10-2012, 01:21 PM
(31-10-2012 01:14 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 10:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  No we ain't No I'm guessing it might be a case of familiarity (of men) breeding contempt.

I know you aren't. I do have more familiarity with women than men, and usually (straight) men have a way of acting that I find very annoying Shocking

' course I know you know Smile Just meant to say that it's a bit like how family members annoy us the most, 'cause we know them so well... but obviously not in this case... interesting, cause I do find stereotypically female behaviour tends to annoy me more than stereotypically male one (I'm talking common and annoying types of behaviour, obviously, not just anything women or men do).

31-10-2012, 01:25 PM
(31-10-2012 01:14 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 10:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  No we ain't No I'm guessing it might be a case of familiarity (of men) breeding contempt.

Fuck you too, then.
Tongue

I sometimes think the only real prejudice I have is against people. That's probably over-generalizing, though. I think the core of my prejudice is against myself.

Everything else is just stereotyping and I often find that humorous more than negative...but sadly many people don't agree so I try to repress my prejudices. I often don't succeed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-10-2012, 01:31 PM
(31-10-2012 01:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think the core of my prejudice is against myself.

Well, they do say that we most hate about others what we dislike in ourselves (and I refuse to believe that this is a Laurel Hamilton quote, I've known it since forever and I ain't never cracked open a 'book' of hers).

31-10-2012, 01:47 PM
One of my mine is triggered by the phrase "In this day and age" when ever I here or see it I just think whoever uttered it is a retard. The suggestion is we're more moral now and beyond the "wrongs" of the past.

I know its just a turn of phrase, but so is praise jesus.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2012, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 02:03 PM by Vera.)
(31-10-2012 01:47 PM)Humakt Wrote:  One of my mine is triggered by the phrase "In this day and age" when ever I here or see it I just think whoever uttered it is a retard. The suggestion is we're more moral now and beyond the "wrongs" of the past.

Thank you.

EDIT: It doesn't imply that we are beyond the wrongs of the past, but if you are seriously trying to say that morality hasn't evolved since the times neighbouring tribes used to club each other to death, rape was normal and people in white hoods would hang black people from trees...