Confession of prejudice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: Confession of prejudice.
(31-10-2012 01:47 PM)Humakt Wrote:  One of my mine is triggered by the phrase "In this day and age" when ever I here or see it I just think whoever uttered it is a retard. The suggestion is we're more moral now and beyond the "wrongs" of the past.

I know its just a turn of phrase, but so is praise jesus.

I can't believe someone would say that inn this day and age!! Blink

Sorry...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
31-10-2012, 05:54 PM
(31-10-2012 12:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think recognizing, and combating your prejudices is all that can be reasonably expected of anyone, and it is a personal goal I strive for everyday.

That's the ticket. Recognizing your biases is actually advantageous 'cause then you can manipulate them.

I have a personal prejudice against assholes, but it's because I see them as infringing upon my territory. "You wanna play that game asshole, here let me show you what an uber-starfish looks like ... how you like me now? ... fuckin' asshole."

Breathing - it's more art than science.
31-10-2012, 06:14 PM
(31-10-2012 05:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 12:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think recognizing, and combating your prejudices is all that can be reasonably expected of anyone, and it is a personal goal I strive for everyday.

That's the ticket. Recognizing your biases is actually advantageous 'cause then you can manipulate them.

I have a personal prejudice against assholes, but it's because I see them as infringing upon my territory. "You wanna play that game asshole, here let me show you what an uber-starfish looks like ... how you like me now? ... fuckin' asshole."

Girly, your just plain awesome.

01-11-2012, 04:23 AM
(31-10-2012 01:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 01:47 PM)Humakt Wrote:  One of my mine is triggered by the phrase "In this day and age" when ever I here or see it I just think whoever uttered it is a retard. The suggestion is we're more moral now and beyond the "wrongs" of the past.

Thank you.

EDIT: It doesn't imply that we are beyond the wrongs of the past, but if you are seriously trying to say that morality hasn't evolved since the times neighbouring tribes used to club each other to death, rape was normal and people in white hoods would hang black people from trees...

No, I'm trying to say we've still got a long way to go, before anything like laurel resting is justified. And if your trying to suggest we've moved to age where death, rape and bigotry are things of the past, I'll beg to differ. I can think of at least half a dozen genocides in the last couple of decades alone, so there still plenty of that going on. Rape is used whole sale in many conflict not just as lack of discouraging the practice, but as a deliberate form subjugation.

And sure things "evolve" but that does not mean improve, it was'nt really so long ago that a first world power openly engaging in torture would have been unthinkable, where detention without trial would have been anathema, now they are the order of the day.

So in this day and age, I see an erosion of not an improvement on the moral standards.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2012, 04:24 AM
(31-10-2012 02:04 PM)nach_in Wrote:  

I know its just a turn of phrase, but so is praise jesus.

I can't believe someone would say that inn this day and age!! Blink

Sorry...

Retard Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
01-11-2012, 04:45 AM
(01-11-2012 04:23 AM)Humakt Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 01:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  Thank you.

EDIT: It doesn't imply that we are beyond the wrongs of the past, but if you are seriously trying to say that morality hasn't evolved since the times neighbouring tribes used to club each other to death, rape was normal and people in white hoods would hang black people from trees...

No, I'm trying to say we've still got a long way to go, before anything like laurel resting is justified. And if your trying to suggest we've moved to age where death, rape and bigotry are things of the past, I'll beg to differ. I can think of at least half a dozen genocides in the last couple of decades alone, so there still plenty of that going on. Rape is used whole sale in many conflict not just as lack of discouraging the practice, but as a deliberate form subjugation.

And sure things "evolve" but that does not mean improve, it was'nt really so long ago that a first world power openly engaging in torture would have been unthinkable, where detention without trial would have been anathema, now they are the order of the day.

So in this day and age, I see an erosion of not an improvement on the moral standards.

Of course they are not a thing of the past; there's still a looooong way to go (if we ever get there). I see where you coming from, but really, when exactly was the period in time when a first world power engaging in torture would have been unthinkable? The 20th century? It was just better hidden then and the fact that things are finally starting to come out in the light, is a sign that there is change. And to me, that's a change for the better.

What I meant by evolution was on a much grander scheme, you can't really see evolution over the course of decades. So I still maintain that while we are still plenty screwed up, violent and in many ways not much better than what we were like in tribal times, things have changed for the better, even if not nearly as much as they still have to change.

And my in this day and age comment actually went on to add "when it's voluntary", as opposed to the times of conscription. I realise you're a military man yourself and may have taken it personally, but I thought the thread was about prejudice and us trying to fight it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
In defence of the "this day and age" expression, we do now have better values in the mainstream morality and legality, human rights don't have a century yet and the international prohibition of war works a little bit, which is far more than the mechanisms before the WW2.
The phrase works for me, is like saying "this kind of bad things shouldn't happen any more, we should be better by now". In my opinion, it doesn't suggests we're more moral than before, it says we know better, and we should act on that knowledge.

01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
(31-10-2012 02:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men.

Ann Coulter. Aaaaaaannnnd the average just went down. Anyway, the above statement bothers me.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
(01-11-2012 02:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 02:25 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm biased in favour of women, I tend to think they're better, on average, than men.

Ann Coulter. Aaaaaaannnnd the average just went down. Anyway, the above statement bothers me.

why does it bother you? Blink

01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Humans. I hate them all. Unless they're drag queens.

No, seriously though, I tend to prejudge republicans, overly religious people (i.e. people who talk about it in every sentence), and people who seem to spend most of their time and energy on relationships and having children. I realize this last is problematic at times, and different people value/enjoy different things, but I can't get past the idea they are wasting their lives. I shouldn't care, even if they are, so maybe it's because many such people have told me my life must be terrible because I have no interest in relationships and procreation, and I prefer to put my energy into other things.
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post