Confession of prejudice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 12:17 AM
RE: Confession of prejudice.
(11-11-2012 09:58 PM)Near Wrote:  It's true, we can't do irony at all. Weeping Or at least I can't. I think that I take people very literally, even though I'm always joking around. Unrelated but: I remember in High School, I was in one of my classes, and the teacher used some play on words and I didn't get it at all. But the foreign exchange student from Germany that was sitting next to me was in stitches. I was so ashamed.

Hug Heart I luvs you too.
Cool, man. Big Grin

Gotta ask though... what would you do at a wedding if the master of ceremonies stood up and said:
"Let's toast the bride"?

Shocking

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
What I have discovered about British humor is this; No matter what it is, or how terrible it is, if there is a single British show that you don't particularly like they will claim 'you just don't get British humor' in an elitist sort of way. At least every Brit I have known so far, bearing in mind all of them were males, and all younger than 45ish. It is irrelevant how many British comedy shows you enjoy, you don't like one that they do and you 'just don't get it'. It is impossible that the show is just shit. Maybe a Brit can enlighten me?

Perfect example, myself and three British guys were watching some TV shows on a laptop (why does that sound gay?) We had just finished watching the last episode of V and had some time to kill...so then I turned on The Office (US). Holy shit! They would not shut the fuck up about it, how terrible it is, and how much better the British version is, and I should give it a try...but the thing is, I was a fan of both versions of the show. I had both on my hard drive, I knew both very well, I just happened to think the US version was funnier. Okay, now I would agree with them, The Office is not nearly as good as it was a few seasons ago, but back then, it was funnier IMO.

Yes, I rambled again. I do that. Oh, and 'The Inbetweeners' is just okay!

12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
(12-11-2012 10:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  What I have discovered about British humor is this; No matter what it is, or how terrible it is, if there is a single British show that you don't particularly like they will claim 'you just don't get British humor' in an elitist sort of way.
Just ask DLJ about a certain show-that-must-not-be-named and see what happens Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
(12-11-2012 10:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  What I have discovered about British humor is this; No matter what it is, or how terrible it is, if there is a single British show that you don't particularly like they will claim 'you just don't get British humor' in an elitist sort of way. At least every Brit I have known so far, bearing in mind all of them were males, and all younger than 45ish. It is irrelevant how many British comedy shows you enjoy, you don't like one that they do and you 'just don't get it'. It is impossible that the show is just shit. Maybe a Brit can enlighten me?

Perfect example, myself and three British guys were watching some TV shows on a laptop (why does that sound gay?) We had just finished watching the last episode of V and had some time to kill...so then I turned on The Office (US). Holy shit! They would not shut the fuck up about it, how terrible it is, and how much better the British version is, and I should give it a try...but the thing is, I was a fan of both versions of the show. I had both on my hard drive, I knew both very well, I just happened to think the US version was funnier. Okay, now I would agree with them, The Office is not nearly as good as it was a few seasons ago, but back then, it was funnier IMO.

Yes, I rambled again. I do that. Oh, and 'The Inbetweeners' is just okay!
OK, Im British and from my perspective these chaps were just dicks. Firstly, if you wanna watch the american office big whoop, secondly I dont paticularly like the british version of the office, Im not overly fond of the american version either. But the american version is funnier, the british version is closer to social commentary than comedy imo.

And yes the inbetweeners is pretty meh.

Lastly, theres a load of british shows that are just plain awful, weather you get british humour or not. The mighty boosh is not my cup of tea, in fact I think its so bad it causes me pain. But Blackadder is right up my alley. British humour is diverse, just as humour is diverse. You cant like it all.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Okay, maybe they were just dicks then. Well, I really liked them, but just got rubbed the wrong way by them in this particular instance. From my limited experience I thought this was a prevailing attitude. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of many British comedies, just got the feeling that they were rather snobbish. Granted, Hollywood makes more that it's fair share of shit, but it isn't all shit.

16-11-2012, 12:07 PM
(03-11-2012 08:20 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  First of all, non-beleif is superior to Christianity Wink Secondly, this is one of the reasons why my non-beleif isn't militant, not that I am judging those who are militant Atheists, if Christianity can be militant, why not? Just not my cup o' tea. Thirdly, sounds like your proffesor is a pussy, but that is a judgment I am making based on your word. If you don't intend to use it at school post it on the forum, that is, if you don't mind, I'd love to read it, your always an interesting read Lumi!
Well, it seems that in the past school authorities gave me a lot of free pass and thumbs up, because they had no idea what I was writing about, it was so much far out there. Looks like I needed a reality check of academic demands, my education is a chaotic patchwork that doesn't allow me to be precise about things. You know the effect, alike minds think great. But when there's not an alike mind, there's a huge technical, semantic and professional problem. Perhaps even ideologic problem, people value their economic libraries and don't let them be dismissed by a single paragraph or a single thesis. I think it's all crap and the current global problems prove me right, but explaining that properly to a critical expert (such as the future thesis committee) is nearly impossible with my education.

And you bet, it's an interesting read, although it's not in English (that'll have to wait). The bodily organism (specially human) is surprisingly similar to the state, the ideal version of a state economy. Perhaps years ago as a teenager I was subconsciously inspired by a horror story of Clive Barker, In the Hills - the Cities. Read it, it's a good one. Just instead of the city Podujevo imagine the block of Soviet republics and for Popolac, European Union. The two economic giants competing, one collapsing sooner, the other later lacking an opponent, in case the point isn't so obvious behind the horror setting Smile I wonder what would Mr Barker think of this interpretation.

(03-11-2012 08:20 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Lastly, I am in the same boat your in when it comes to empathy, sometimes I feel guilty for lacking the ability to feel that emotional conection. I feel like I'm somehow fucked up; like a self-serving asshole that only cares about his own wants and needs. I think it is by biggest character flaw. I do not think I am a real sociopath though, I do care about others, I'm just not great at feeling what they do, and therefore sometimes I am a self-serving asshole. Also, now I want some tea Drinking Beverage
Yep, here I think this is a sign of a neurologic condition, certainly in my case. There are brain centers dedicated to paying attention to other people and figuring them out and they don't work properly or as much as in others. But it doesn't make the faux pas any less embarrassing, it's like having a low IQ when it comes to new, unfamiliar social matters. And that's no small source of prejudice, we have to somehow make sense of the world so that we can feel as reasonably good people at the end of the day.
Now that I know what's wrong I actually feel even more socially inept, maybe because now I know what to look for and know that it's not going to get better.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!