Confessions of a Born Again Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Confessions of a Born Again Atheist
A few days ago I posted a short ebook I had written for Amazon Kindle ebooks. It is called "Turkey Broth for the Spirit: Confessions of a Born Again Atheist." It is under my pen name Ester Lighthorse. It is quite different than most anything else I have written in regards to religion and its absurdities as it has very little profanity and is definitely not from a humorous stand point.

Anyways, I was quite shocked to receive email from individuals more or less stating that they were hurt and bothered by what I had written in regards to how I grew up in a Christian family and how my view of God changed from believing in Him to not believing in Him. I found this to be rather perplexing. The other books I have written, to include a complete re-write of the New Testament called "The Tenement Gospel," are far more incendiary, use profanity and crude humor to deliver the message that there is no God, and in most cases come across as completely off the wall.
My previous writings seemed to ruffle few feathers, and I think this is because that the sheer lunacy of the content is completely unbelieveable...which is the whole point...and those who are bothered by my newest book did not feel threatened by such craziness. The Bible is chock full of absurdities, and so I wrote some out there, crazy stuff...for that is what I think of much of religion as a whole.

Yet, my most current work was apparently too serious and I think that is why I am now receiving emails from people who are upset. I think they feel threatened that more people will take the time to listen to the message, to take it seriously. For example, my book "The Tenement Gospel" describes the life and messages of Jesus totally different, each of the gospels ends in a different fashion, and profanity and drug use abound. Its level of outrageousness allows those steeped in religion to feel comfortable that no one will give a damn about the messages contained therein.

However, "Turkey Broth for the Spirit: Confessions of a Born Again Atheist" delivers the message without the use of humor or crass jokes or foul language. It is written from the exact experience of one who grew up with such tainted ideologies flooding every nook and cranny of their life. It is not a funny book. And that bothers those who do not wish for their misplaced faith in the make-believe to be shaken.

In "Confessions..." I point out contradictions, cruelties, harmful practices, and the results of such from my own perspective of the church organization I grew up with. Now some of those I had grown up with choose to say something, to state their dissatisfaction. They did not care when such writings did not make sense, but now that a logical argument is expressed the story is different.
http://www.amazon.com/Turkey-Broth-Spiri...the+Spirit#_
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ester Lighthorse's post
03-07-2012, 01:21 AM
RE: Confessions of a Born Again Atheist
I usually don't approve first posts that are linking products for purchase... but that pen name was so ridiculous I just had to share it with the world.

Ester Lighthorse?

Are you an atheist author or 80 year woman from a Nordic tribal family?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I think that anyone who writes about or otherwise talks of living life as a religious person, then turning away from it later it life, will get some negative feedback no matter what. I imagine Richard Dawkins got some pretty nasty hate mail over his book. I also see it regularly on YouTube videos of ex-religious persons who are "coming out" in their videos. They get some pretty sad and hateful comments made to them about their decision to turn away, too. So, for what it's worth, you're not alone there.

I think, for the most part, people are better able to handle hearing what they otherwise wouldn't want to hear when there is humor incorporated into it, even if it will never change their mind on the subject. For example, the Jesus that is depicted in South Park is easier for Christians to stomach because it's done with humor. It's completely blasphemous to what they believe and how they feel about him, but because it's done with comedy, people seem more willing to accept it and not complain. Though, there will always be those who will complain anyway, humor or not...
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 08:19 PM by Ester Lighthorse.)
(03-07-2012 01:21 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I usually don't approve first posts that are linking products for purchase... but that pen name was so ridiculous I just had to share it with the world.

Ester Lighthorse?

Are you an atheist author or 80 year woman from a Nordic tribal family?
03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I picked that name specifically because it DID sound so absurdly ridiculous. It is good to know you found it to be so! Seriously.
03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
(03-07-2012 08:20 PM)Ester Lighthorse Wrote:  I picked that name specifically because it DID sound so absurdly ridiculous. It is good to know you found it to be so! Seriously.
Nordic tribal family...Hah! That's good stuff there! Gotta love it.
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
My real name really does not sound any more believable...seriously. In fact, I have many times had people ask me if it is real and if they can see my identification.
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I have relatives with even stranger names such as 'First Light of the Morning' and 'Spirit of the Horse' and 'Talking Wind.' And yes, these are real names.
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I thought it was interesting that in response to what I had written in my newest work one of the comments was something along the lines of, "...I find it hard to believe that someone would not want to seek out that (God) which can only fill that God-void which is built into all of us by God." I responded that not everyone feels this so-called 'God-void'; I certainly do not. If people are told over and over that they have a void, in the shape of God no less, perhaps some of those people will start believing it. Then they begin to believe that since they found whatever is supposed to fill that, well, then everyone must have that void. It makes no sense.
03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Hi 'Ester', welcome to TTA.

I love your writing style. Awesome Smile

Are your other books available as well?

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)