Confirmation Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 12:15 AM
Confirmation Bias
Has anyone here, with the red, negative reputation number beside their name, ever gotten out of the hole?

I ask this because it seems like there is a piling on, sort of pack mentality, that occurs with some users. Some really are assholes and never contribute anything positive. But for others, maybe they were complete jackasses in some of their postings and deserved some negative reps. But, with that glaring, red negative number next to their name, is it possible that the jackass in some posts and topics, can post something insightful and thoughtful in other topics, deserving of a positive rep, only to be prejudged by that red filter? Is confirmation bias filtering how we read their posts?

Here's an idea that might work, and a chance for those with negative reps to get their shit together before posting - Amnesty Day, where their reps are reset to zero.

It's late and I'm just floating ideas out there. What say you? Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
09-07-2017, 12:45 AM
RE: Confirmation Bias
I agree, and wonder that, also. I try to always read someone's posts with objectivity and not really pay attention to their ''reputation.'' That said, if I start to see the person with negative reputation posting endless threads relating to the same topic that he received negative reputation, then I might just not bother replying. I like your idea though ''amnesty day.'' Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
09-07-2017, 12:47 AM
It's an interesting idea, and I could go for it. Someone who has been making an effort to write better posts would get a fresh start, and the people who can't be bothered to improve would find themselves back in the red again in short order.

Not sure about a blanket amnesty, though; perhaps members who are showing improvement could be nominated.

The important thing is to give credit where credit is due, regardless of someone's reputation.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 12:56 AM
No that's dumb.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
09-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Don't like the idea of amnesty. Those in red are red for a reason and I doubt that this reason is them being oppressed.

About your question - I think Alla temporarily managed to climb to positive rep. Now she's back in red.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-07-2017, 01:20 AM
I'll always give anyone a chance regardless of their rating. I'll thoroughly read what they have to say at first, and respond to any good points they make. If they just spout garbage I'll skim them after a while. I'll put them on ignore if they're really bad, and just sample them in the future. If I see a change in quality I'll give them a chance again.

I think that people who make an effort to change can certainly get that reflected in their rating. If this place was full of nothing but dogpilers, I wouldn't bother with it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
09-07-2017, 02:08 AM
If it really is just confirmation bias, wouldn't the people who neg repped them just do it again after the amnesty day?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
09-07-2017, 03:18 AM
At one time, I was quite active on this forum because I could say, basically, what I pretty-well pleased. That's why I liked being here so much. Life moved on though and I with it and I stopped posting although I did continue to drop in now and then - but to read rather than post.

Looking back to the time I used to post, had I got negative rep, I would have continued regardless.

I gave rep where rep was due but, I have to admit, rep wasn't so important to me. It's what's said by others to me and what I say to others that is important. For me, it's what's said that changes minds - not rep.

For the record, I have no idea whether my rep is positive or negative. Nor do I care and, I don't suppose that many others do either.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
09-07-2017, 03:31 AM
(09-07-2017 03:18 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  At one time, I was quite active on this forum because I could say, basically, what I pretty-well pleased. That's why I liked being here so much. Life moved on though and I with it and I stopped posting although I did continue to drop in now and then - but to read rather than post.

Looking back to the time I used to post, had I got negative rep, I would have continued regardless.

I gave rep where rep was due but, I have to admit, rep wasn't so important to me. It's what's said by others to me and what I say to others that is important. For me, it's what's said that changes minds - not rep.

For the record, I have no idea whether my rep is positive or negative. Nor do I care and, I don't suppose that many others do either.

Hear, hear.
[+] 1 user Likes BlkFnx's post
09-07-2017, 03:53 AM
There are several posters whose reps have fluctuated. Heywood Jahblome, Egor, Lord Dark Helmet and Alla are the ones I can think of offhand, but there were others.

People react more or less to how people present themselves *at the time* - people easily forgive and forget old stuff. Even among people with overwhelming negative reps you'll always find a few green. People are conscious of playing fair. Also agreement is not necessary for positive rep. There are several different opinions on politics and other topics. It doesn't prevent people from up-repping people.

What gets you positive rep in my experience:
  • Straightforward, sincerely held opinions.
  • Clear posting.
  • Politeness. This can be difficult to define. I am probably one of the more profane posters around here but I would argue that I'm not impolite.

What gets neg rep:
  • Playing stupid games with your replies. Misrepresenting yourself.
  • Posting drivel.
  • Posting spam.
  • Dodging awkward questions.
  • Accusing the entire forum of bias because poor you got neg repped.

As many have said. Neg rep or not, no one prevents you from expressing your opinion. And IMO arseholes who remain arseholes should be labelled, the same way canned food has a warning label. So I vote no to amnesty. If they stop being arseholes their rep will climb on its own.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 11 users Like morondog's post