Confirmation Bias and I need something else to read:)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2015 08:04 PM by Happy.)
Confirmation Bias and I need something else to read:)
I recently noticed that I'm having a lot to trouble reading or watching something that is theistic or non-scientific. I just can't get through it! I find it boring, too rationalising or plain nonsense , which gets me really frustrated. I strongly believe that you need to learn about both sides of an argument. But I find it so hard! I'm worried that I'm missing something due to my confirmation bias. I enjoy reading and watching things that confirm my understanding of the world. I love books about evolution, debunking conspiracy theories, history and biology. But am I reading the wrong stuff? Can anyone recommend good books to read or documentaries/film to watch that represent an alternative point of view?
I'll give you a couple of examples. Currently I'm trying to read Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake, and it is not going well. I'm on the first chapter and I'm not sure what he is trying to prove or disprove. Maybe it'll get clearer further down the track, but so far I really don't understand what's his problem with "mechanistic materialism" and why it is a problem in the first place. At the moment I'm at the part where he says that you can't understand "the whole" by looking at the little parts that the object or subject consists of. He gave an example of an experiment he had to do at uni. They were studying enzymes and they had to "scarify" (quoting from the book) a rat and do some experiments with its liver. He then goes to admit that they did learn something about enzymes, but nothing about the rat, its behaviour, habits etc. Well, that was not the point of the experiment! You were learning about enzymes, and you just said you did learn something. That was the point of the experiment. If the task was to learn about rats behaviour, you wouldn't need to kill that rat in the first place. It feels like he's creating an issue where there's none. It's the same with C S Lewis Mere Christianity, I just couldn't finish it, it was so full of circle argument, that didn't get anywhere at all: bible is true because bible says so. I just got lost in all of those random conclusions based on nothing.
I watched Evolution vs God. First of all as a video editor I have to say: man it's atrocious! They must've spend all of the money on animation, which I have to say is very nice, but those camera angles, that mike that goes between the camera and the interviewee. Oh, it's painful to watch. And then the demand to show "a change of a kind" as a prove of evolution and when people tell him what they think is a good example he goes, nah, I can't see it, it was millions of years ago NAH. Oh, so annoying!
As soon as I hear "world conspiracy", I automatically try to look for other information available. Like the doco I watched on the weekend "The World According to Monsanto".
Is it my confirmation bias that prevents me to accept a different point of view? or am I reading wrong books? Am I no better than those people who say that "evolution" is nonsense, because they simply can't understand it, or it goes against everything they consider true? Can someone please recommend something interesting to read or watch that presents an different point of view?
ThanksSmile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 07:52 PM
RE: Confirmation Bias and I need something else to read:)
I cant really recommend anything. However I think you are wise to acknowledge your own biases. Maybe you will find snippets of information that you can relate too with regards to your biases, contained in writing and video however it is my opinion only you can answer those questions as no one knows you better than yourself.

Why do you believe the things you do? Why do you allow things to bother and irritate you? Can you be apart from those things? Can you seperate from them? What are your justifications?

The answers to the above questions does not need to be answered here, they are only important to you.

Answers can be transient, change over time. Questions are better Consider

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
23-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Quote:I recently noticed that I'm having a lot to trouble reading or watching something that is theistic or non-scientific.

You know what I noticed that I'm having a lot of trouble reading?
Big walls of in your face unparagraphed text.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
23-03-2015, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 06:24 PM by cactus.)
(23-03-2015 06:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I recently noticed that I'm having a lot to trouble reading or watching something that is theistic or non-scientific.

ba-dum chhh
took the words right out of my mouth.

Try going to a natural history museum, or watch some documentaries on world cultures. Learning facts about the different things people believe, I think is infinitely more fascinating than listening to someone try to convince me of what they think I should believe.

Also, you might enjoy watching the CrashCourse series on Youtube.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
23-03-2015, 06:35 PM
(23-03-2015 06:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

I'm sorry you are having trouble reading. I know it can be challenging sometimes...
23-03-2015, 06:37 PM
(23-03-2015 06:35 PM)Happy Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 06:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You know what I noticed that I'm having a lot of trouble reading?

I'm sorry you are having trouble reading. I know it can be challenging sometimes...

Paragraphs are our friends. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-03-2015, 07:51 PM
(23-03-2015 06:35 PM)Happy Wrote:  
(23-03-2015 06:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You know what I noticed that I'm having a lot of trouble reading?

Cunt, you a terrible at insults. If you're going to insult someone don't make it an insult regarding something they said when you said it first.

"I recently noticed that I'm having a lot to trouble reading..."

Fucking stupid twat.

[Image: oscar.png]