Confirmation Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 04:21 AM
RE: Confirmation Bias
(09-07-2017 03:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  If they stop being arseholes their rep will climb on its own.

Indeed. Not being an asshole just has a way of sorting things out on it's own.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2017, 05:04 AM
If a rep rating was immutable I'd agree more with the idea of the OP. Posters can and do change their ratings over time.

In addition to the members listed by Morondog above, I think I remember Jason_Delisle as a member who started out with a negative rep that turned solidly positive after he posted for a while, especially after he changed his posting style. Alla has come back from as low as a neg rep in the teens, although she seems to be on the way back down again at this point and spends much more time in the red than in the green, overall.

I've seen several people go down as newbies into the neg rep range for a couple of points and then go back to the positive and stay there.

If someone has a negative rep, I'll still "like" their comments if they make an interesting or funny point. I even "liked" a couple of Heywood's comments. If someone has a negative rep, I'll still rep them positively if I think that's merited, or vice versa.

I'm kind of proud of annoying LDH enough for him to give me a negative rep.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
09-07-2017, 05:04 AM
(09-07-2017 03:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  There are several posters whose reps have fluctuated. Heywood Jahblome, Egor, Lord Dark Helmet and Alla

KUSA and Deltabravo also spring to mind.

KUSA did his "I'm tired of being a dick" therapy session and DB was doing OK until he did his "I faked my own death" thing to undermine whatever credibility he had left, for some reason.

To the OP,

Yes, the rep thing is specifically in place for us to confirm our biases ... otherwise it would not be visible.

Unsure

It's the violence inherent in the system.

Cue Michael Palin in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Angel

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-07-2017, 05:07 AM
By wiping out the neg reps from people who are in the red you would be wiping out a portion of the forum not unlike deleting posts (that do not break a specific rule).

If you are going to give amnesty to people who are in the red then all negative reps should be removed.

People, who aren't quickly banned, are given plenty of opportunity to turn things around. There are those who have gone from red to green.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 05:22 AM
Okay- So the purpose of this rating system is to encourage AH's to reflect on their decorum and worthy-ness of contributions in moving the thread's subject forward. (LOL and I thought "shame" was a dead concept in this day n age?)

Yeah, I get how that's a good thing for the whole community (and possibly the "fallen" individual) for sure. Especially when bad grammar or spelling errors are preset and persistent! Big Grin

I believe two things that would assist in promoting this communal "healing" process once a negative rep is bestowed, would be the ability to directly link that negative (or positive) rep to the post(s) that incited the rating.
I don't understand why these constructive examples are not included as part of the shaming system?

I don't have any reference to judge if the current negative rating is justified by my (ok, twisted) standards. One must presume any and all reputation ratings are deemed "bone-e-fied" simply because a forum member has anointed it? Not being disrespectful here, but gee, just wanting full disclosure to make the same call or foul.
Such as these randomly selected neg. reps. cause me some pause:

" Snarky asshole with an overinflated opinion of his own intellect."
I happen to enjoy snarky chit at times guys. Similar to enjoying artful swearing or extremely cynical dry humor. I wonder if the context would have made a difference to my Thumbsup opinion?
Was this "overinflated opinion" perception a similar evaluation I might have drawn in context?

"Saw some arrogant fools but this take the crown."

I would love to confirm that my bias is in line with this reviewers' rep, but with no post reference, this negative rep opinion stands as 100% legit. (and probably is)

The least you could do is actually believe in what you're arguing for. Oh, and BTW: "your" is possessive. I like your dog. "You're" is what you type when you mean "you are." You're a putz.
Grammar and spellin' always be impotent!Smartass

Lastly, I'd like it if there was a posted tally for the "ignores" any account has ongoing. Ohmy That could lend some interesting insight of an individual's tolerance levels and biases. Of course showing those ignored names would equate a Shocking sacrilegious disclosure of some minor degree.

FYI- default is: "Subscribe without receiving email notification of new replies-" My in box gets too full of this pastime at times!

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 3 users Like BackSlider's post
09-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Another comment on the neg reps...

Read the reps on someone who is in the red. Are the reasons given similar? If several, or all, are making similar comments it's pretty safe to say there is a particular way the person is presenting themselves.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 05:58 AM
(09-07-2017 05:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Another comment on the neg reps...

Read the reps on someone who is in the red. Are the reasons given similar? If several, or all, are making similar comments it's pretty safe to say there is a particular way the person is presenting themselves.

Right, kinda like reading reviews of a hotel.

The other explanation is that people are just parroting other peoples' reviews. And honestly, if someone feels the community here is largely made up of parrots, I don't know why they'd stay here at all. All discussion would be pretty pointless.

Also, who exactly is reading the reviews on someone before reading their actual posts, and then deciding whether to like their posts in advance? I guess some idiots might just see the red number and automatically dislike whatever they write. But there's not much hope for such people, and it's not the rep system that's at fault.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 06:06 AM
(09-07-2017 05:58 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I guess some idiots might just see the red number and automatically dislike whatever they write. But there's not much hope for such people, and it's not the rep system that's at fault.

I find it most useful when someone makes an ambiguous post that I think "Is this guy just a dick, or do they speak bad English, or are they trolling, or what?" It sorta gives me a heads up as to whether I should bother being nice. Plus if I do wonder to myself "Am I just being a dickhead myself towards this person" it's useful to see what other people's experience of them has been.

Plus it seems to piss off the dickheads very much, so if for no other reason, I like the rep system for that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-07-2017, 07:32 AM
(09-07-2017 05:22 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  I believe two things that would assist in promoting this communal "healing" process once a negative rep is bestowed, would be the ability to directly link that negative (or positive) rep to the post(s) that incited the rating.

You could always quote post that made you neg rep in comment to said rep. I think I did it once or twice.

Quote:I don't understand why these constructive examples are not included as part of the shaming system?

People include what they want to include. See no need for changing this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-07-2017, 07:34 AM
I don't think people "parrot" others, I just think there's groups of people who think alike and so are likely to hate the same person.