Confirmation Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 08:43 AM
RE: Confirmation Bias
A couple of things.

First there is actually a way to give rep citing a specific post "reputation from post".
I tried to do it once but couldn't figure out how...I'm sure that someone around here could enlighten us however.

If I see someone with a neg rep say in the -1 to -5 range, first thing I do is read the comments, sometimes I have seen a neg rep from a member who's opinion I don't agree with, and that's almost as good as getting a positive rep. I'll admit that once it goes more negative then that I am more likely to dismiss the member's posts.

What I think might be handy would be if we could dislike posts, that way a member could get post by post feed back and maybe help them avoid getting hit with a neg rep. I'd want this to be hidden from the public however, just for your own private feedback.

Generally however I think members are more reserved in giving out neg rep then positive reps, mainly because they know that a negative rep has more impact.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
7!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
09-07-2017, 08:55 AM
(09-07-2017 08:43 AM)unsapien Wrote:  What I think might be handy would be if we could dislike posts, that way a member could get post by post feed back and maybe help them avoid getting hit with a neg rep. I'd want this to be hidden from the public however, just for your own private feedback.

I don't think this would happen (or work) here, to be honest. Threads would devolve rapidly into flame wars and it would bring out the pettiness and jerkiness of users even more than online interaction (where people tend to lose all inhibition and say things they'd never have the guts to tell people in real life) already does.

Rep is a much better thought-out (at least supposedly) reaction to a poster's general demeanor and assholery (or lack thereof)

It is already way too easy for online interaction to be reduced to nothing more than a popularity contest, a dislike button would make things worse. At least here. At least to my eyes...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-07-2017, 09:04 AM
One of the inherent problems with like/dislike buttons I've found sometimes is choosing. I mean, when someone says "my kid starts his chemo treatment today for cancer," I hesitate.......if I press "like" will they think I'm liking the fact that their kid has cancer? If I press dislike will they get it that I'm disliking that their kid has cancer? Or disliking chemo? I won't click either one then.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-07-2017, 09:13 AM
(09-07-2017 03:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...
As many have said. Neg rep or not, no one prevents you from expressing your opinion. And IMO arseholes who remain arseholes should be labelled, the same way canned food has a warning label. So I vote no to amnesty. If they stop being arseholes their rep will climb on its own.

Totally agree. The normal ebb and flow of one's postings will automatically bring a negative rep into the positive if later comments are rational, informative, and add to the value of the topic under discussion. An "amnesty" would be—in my opinion—completely out of order, and defeat its very own purpose as, in effect, a further layer of moderating.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM
(09-07-2017 09:04 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  One of the inherent problems with like/dislike buttons I've found sometimes is choosing. I mean, when someone says "my kid starts his chemo treatment today for cancer," I hesitate.......if I press "like" will they think I'm liking the fact that their kid has cancer? If I press dislike will they get it that I'm disliking that their kid has cancer? Or disliking chemo? I won't click either one then.

I think you're confusing the singular "like" check option on the post itself with the "rep" option of +ve or -ve against the member's profile. They're two different things.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-07-2017, 09:23 AM
(09-07-2017 09:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:04 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  One of the inherent problems with like/dislike buttons I've found sometimes is choosing. I mean, when someone says "my kid starts his chemo treatment today for cancer," I hesitate.......if I press "like" will they think I'm liking the fact that their kid has cancer? If I press dislike will they get it that I'm disliking that their kid has cancer? Or disliking chemo? I won't click either one then.

I think you're confusing the singular "like" check option on the post itself with the "rep" option of +ve or -ve against the member's profile. They're two different things.

No I get it, my comment was a reference to another forum where we had the ability to "like" or "dislike" AND give positive or negative points. I meant it as a comment to the previous suggestion of adding a dislike button. I should have made that clearer.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams