Conflict With Catholic Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I became an atheist a number of years ago. I came out to my parents and they reacted with the expected anger, rage, resentment, and frustration. My parents are incredibly worried about me not being able to get into heaven if I do not subscribe to their religion.
Despite my atheism, my parents forced me to continue attending mass every Sunday and my very strict Catholic school. I finally was able to talk to them with my therapist and sort it all out. I no longer am forced to go to church and am attending a public art school. I thought that would be the end of it.
I became increasingly interested in an atheistic religion, which is really just a philosophy. I expressed to my parents my great interest in joining this religion, as it is very important to me. My parents reacted in a way that I could have never expected.
I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent). Everything seemed promising.
Tonight my mother came into my room and informed me that if I were to become a member of this atheistic religion, I would be handing my soul over to Satan and my father and her would therefore take my car away from me, give me absolutely no money whatsoever, and not support me in any way as an incentive to go back to their faith.
I am not sure how to deal with this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 10:23 PM
RE: Conflict With Catholic Parents
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I became an atheist a number of years ago. I came out to my parents and they reacted with the expected anger, rage, resentment, and frustration. My parents are incredibly worried about me not being able to get into heaven if I do not subscribe to their religion.
Despite my atheism, my parents forced me to continue attending mass every Sunday and my very strict Catholic school. I finally was able to talk to them with my therapist and sort it all out. I no longer am forced to go to church and am attending a public art school. I thought that would be the end of it.
I became increasingly interested in an atheistic religion, which is really just a philosophy. I expressed to my parents my great interest in joining this religion, as it is very important to me. My parents reacted in a way that I could have never expected.
I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent). Everything seemed promising.
Tonight my mother came into my room and informed me that if I were to become a member of this atheistic religion, I would be handing my soul over to Satan and my father and her would therefore take my car away from me, give me absolutely no money whatsoever, and not support me in any way as an incentive to go back to their faith.

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest since you're obviously still a minor, you go through the motions and wait until your on your own and or in college. I've seen plenty of parents deny things like college to their non believing children or try to use financial support as a weapon.

Once you're moved out, you're pretty much free to live as you wish.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Deal with it the same way most atheists do with their theistic parents; disown them and move on with your life.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
16-01-2014, 10:31 PM
(16-01-2014 10:24 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Deal with it the same way most atheists do with their theistic parents; disown them and move on with your life.

I think that's a bit harsh.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-01-2014, 10:34 PM
No real advice, but I am curious of this atheistic religion. Would you mind elaborating? Don't feel obligated by any means, I'm just wondering. The only "atheistic religion" I'm aware of is Buddhism.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-01-2014, 10:36 PM
(16-01-2014 10:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think that's a bit harsh.

16-01-2014, 10:38 PM
(16-01-2014 10:36 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 10:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think that's a bit harsh.

My business is my business and I don't have to tell you shit if I don't want to.

That should be a respected right of every person.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-01-2014, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 10:53 PM by Atothetheist.)
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I became an atheist a number of years ago. I came out to my parents and they reacted with the expected anger, rage, resentment, and frustration. My parents are incredibly worried about me not being able to get into heaven if I do not subscribe to their religion.

Hey buddy,

I write to you because I am in a similar situation (actually, its strikingly similar, but with few, major differences, which I will get to) and I would like to share my perspectives and, may not offer advice, but offer perspective.

I am currently sixteen (not for long though!), and I am eager to get the fuck out of dodge and leave my home. I outed myself as an atheist on the day of the Reason rally... and well lets say things didn't exactly turn out great. So now I am going to church, attending catholic school and other such similar things. You're question is complicated, because it hinges on two things.

Your freedom, and your future.

Recently, my parents had forced me off of this site, and it caused a huge mess on here. And I had to make a choice. I either do what they say to get what I want/need... or I retain the honesty, openess and contact of the most amazing people I have ever got the chance of knowing.

It was a hard choice, and I decided to give in, but eventually, I had put my foot down.

Now, your situation is different. Your situation deals with the future you will have. My personal advice is: Do what they say...for now. Doing what they say isn't going to change your mind (The only thing that can do that is evidence or reason... hopefully) and you can still be an unbeliever, but with the addition of going to college, living with your gf and all of that.

Remember, in some instances, lying is OKAY. And there is no way to get out of this situation well. Either you are lying to your parents, or your future is fucked.

this might be hard to swallow, but right now... Its definitely a hard choice. I managed to find a peace with my situation, and I hope you could too. However, in case you can't, it would still be a good idea to have a good education along with some semblance of a future.

I hope this help, and if you need help or simple comfort, just know that I am here for you, and all you need to do is send me a PM.

I love helping out people, especially those in a similar situation to me, as I feel that there are many like us out there that feel like they are hopeless.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that you fill us in on how its going.

-Steven

I'm sorry if i didn't help you in any way.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post
16-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Would your parents believe you if you told them you reconverted and believe in their god again? If so then I have a plan for you.

I think what they are doing to you is appalling and undeserving of your honesty at this point. It's not in line with the true Christian ethic, and be sure to remind them of that down the road.

But, I say you tell them you've seen the error of your ways, get your car and money back, get your education, get your career and then have the talk with them again when you are self-sufficient. While principles are very important, sacrifice is also something that is a character builder and everyone goes through it at some point. Think of the time you have to go to church or convince your parents you're a believer as the sacrifice you need to make to get where you want to be.

BTW, I'm a former Catholic, if that helps.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
16-01-2014, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't advocate lying in order to "use" your parents.
You're not an adult yet and they feel responsible for you, and your immortal soul. They love you and believe in their hearts they're saving you.
You can tell them that you have doubts and questions about God & faith. That's honest and probably won't scare the shit out of them.
You beliefs are exactly that. Yours. They're yours and no one can take them from you. You don't have to share your beliefs with your parents or anyone else. Especially not, if you're the one that's going to be hurt.
[+] 3 users Like hotnostril's post