Conflict With Catholic Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Conflict With Catholic Parents
What is this atheist religion?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 12:55 PM
(17-01-2014 10:49 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 10:16 AM)hotnostril Wrote:  Adults are responsible for themselves, self sufficient, and independent. Children still rely on their parents.

So, someone who moves out, is 25 and gets a stipend from his parents for groceries or rent is still a child? Interesting. 18 is an adult, regardless of financial situation.

I certainly wouldn't consider them a mature adult.
Eighteen is adult by law. Whether you choose to become one is up to you.
17-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Ok, but we agree, this guy is an adult. Maturity has nothing to do with your statement.

If your parents are fine with you being atheist but not fine with you joining some atheist group, then don't. It's not a religion, so who cares? Make them happy, get your ride and life back.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 01:25 PM
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent). Everything seemed promising.

Honestly, everyone I met in college who had a boyfriend/girlfriend when they arrived at college, freshman year, did not have one by the end of that year.

college is a time for growing up, maturing, pushing boundaries, and finding who YOU are, and to learn about people who are different from you. Don't go to college to play house with your girlfriend. You can't support yourself, don't drag her down with you.

It gets suffocating, especially when one person is clinging on, and the other person is ready to move on.

if your relationship is strong enough to last thru college, then it is strong enough for you to go to separate schools and live in separate dorms. give her wings to fly into the person she's meant to me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-01-2014, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 03:49 PM by Atothetheist.)
(17-01-2014 01:25 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent). Everything seemed promising.

Honestly, everyone I met in college who had a boyfriend/girlfriend when they arrived at college, freshman year, did not have one by the end of that year.

college is a time for growing up, maturing, pushing boundaries, and finding who YOU are, and to learn about people who are different from you. Don't go to college to play house with your girlfriend. You can't support yourself, don't drag her down with you.

It gets suffocating, especially when one person is clinging on, and the other person is ready to move on.

if your relationship is strong enough to last thru college, then it is strong enough for you to go to separate schools and live in separate dorms. give her wings to fly into the person she's meant to me.

And what if it's what they both want?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
17-01-2014, 03:51 PM
(17-01-2014 02:37 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 01:25 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Honestly, everyone I met in college who had a boyfriend/girlfriend when they arrived at college, freshman year, did not have one by the end of that year.

And what if what they both want?

Then they should take out school loans, get jobs and bus passes and do it on their own.

Seems ridiculous to expect to live off/ mooch off of your parents then turn around and whine when there are strings attached.

You're 18. You want yo be an adult? Act like one.
They don't owe you anything. Everything they give you from now on should be appreciated because it's a gift.
17-01-2014, 04:42 PM
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I became an atheist a number of years ago. I came out to my parents and they reacted with the expected anger, rage, resentment, and frustration. My parents are incredibly worried about me not being able to get into heaven if I do not subscribe to their religion.
Quote:Despite my atheism, my parents forced me to continue attending mass every Sunday and my very strict Catholic school.

Quote:I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent).

I find it hard to believe that the parents that would force you to go to mass every Sunday are the same ones that said they would pay for you to shack up with your girlfriend your first semester of college.
Consider

normally, I'm VERY supportive in this section, but this one….hmmm??

I think you have a lot of things going on…

-therapy for whatever
-new high school
-lost your religion
-found a new religion
-fighting with your parents

I'm sure its stressful. I would get those things settled before worrying about the next step.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-01-2014, 05:00 PM
(17-01-2014 03:51 PM)hotnostril Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 02:37 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  And what if what they both want?

Then they should take out school loans, get jobs and bus passes and do it on their own.

Seems ridiculous to expect to live off/ mooch off of your parents then turn around and whine when there are strings attached.

You're 18. You want yo be an adult? Act like one.
They don't owe you anything. Everything they give you from now on should be appreciated because it's a gift.
I don't think he thinks they owe him anything. I think he is stressed because of the limitations they have put on him.

17-01-2014, 05:04 PM
(17-01-2014 04:42 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I became an atheist a number of years ago. I came out to my parents and they reacted with the expected anger, rage, resentment, and frustration. My parents are incredibly worried about me not being able to get into heaven if I do not subscribe to their religion.
Quote:Despite my atheism, my parents forced me to continue attending mass every Sunday and my very strict Catholic school.

Quote:I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university. I know that her and I could never support ourselves through college and we had discussed it with my parents. They agreed to support is in any way they could (this includes paying for things like rent).

I find it hard to believe that the parents that would force you to go to mass every Sunday are the same ones that said they would pay for you to shack up with your girlfriend your first semester of college.
Consider

normally, I'm VERY supportive in this section, but this one….hmmm??

I think you have a lot of things going on…

-therapy for whatever
-new high school
-lost your religion
-found a new religion
-fighting with your parents

I'm sure its stressful. I would get those things settled before worrying about the next step.

See, the problem is, is that he is at the stage where you are supposed to think about the next step. He is eighteen (and a senior in Highschool), and by that time, college is a thing that should be on his mind. Should he fix the other things. Definitely, but if he makes them the focus, he will be left behind.

basically, the timing is shit for him.

17-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Your parents sound like a pair of manipulative cunts. That said, there is no "atheistic religion." Tell them you have decided not to join it but you fear for your own asshole if you go near a catholic priest again.

What you believe is strictly up to you.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]