Conflict With Catholic Parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Conflict With Catholic Parents
I have to agree with Minimalist, maybe not as harsh, but yes, I see his parents as manipulative blackmailers who reneged on what they promised, just because he won't drink the Kool-Aid. They tell their kid his whole life if he does well in school and is a good person they will help him by paying his tuition, then they use said tuition to force him to do what they want the second he isn't a clone of them? It's bullshit, and his parents should take a long hard look in the mirror. He doesn't expect it from them, hotnostril, he's asking them to live up to their end of the deal. I'm sure nowhere in that family history did they say, "We'll take care of you if you believe in Jesus."

Because their son doesn't believe in some sky bully they are going to alter his future? Pathetic.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2014, 01:17 PM
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  Tonight my mother came into my room and informed me that if I were to become a member of this atheistic religion, I would be handing my soul over to Satan and my father and her would therefore take my car away from me, give me absolutely no money whatsoever, and not support me in any way as an incentive to go back to their faith.
I am not sure how to deal with this.

This one feels like a no-brainer to Girly. If it comes down to being intellectually honest vs. paying the rent, paying the rent wins every time. Pragmatism rules. I'd pretend to be a Catholic or whatever else you want me to be if you're gonna pay my rent and tuition. I know I'm just pretending and that's really all that matters. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-01-2014, 02:43 PM
(16-01-2014 10:20 PM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I am only eighteen and as a senior in high school, I am getting ready to move out of my parents' house and move to Seattle with my girlfriend to attend a university.

Tonight my mother came into my room and informed me that if I were to become a member of this atheistic religion, I would be handing my soul over to Satan and my father and her would therefore take my car away from me, give me absolutely no money whatsoever, and not support me in any way as an incentive to go back to their faith.
Two approaches.
1. Independence - You are 18. Get a job, earn money, save it and put towards uni fund. Work nights and week-end. Research what is needed to gain government support.
2. Remain dependent, obey your parents. Most atheists don't belong to an atheist religion.
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2014, 03:24 PM
(17-01-2014 12:30 AM)HorreurSympathique Wrote:  I appreciate all the support. Thank you all so much.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by 'atheistic religion'? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user