Confused

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-01-2011, 04:58 AM

Confused
Hey everyone...

So glad I found this message board. As soon as I get an opportunity, I want to read as many of the posts as I can.

Just to explain briefly, I was raised Catholic. I went to Catholic elementary school and Catholic High School. Not to knock anyone's religion (though I despise religion), it took me nearly a lifetime to undo the brainwash, in my opinion.Undecided

I've always been searching for answers, and I have come to the conclusion that no intelligent, thinking person can possibly believe in God as a being who presides over the universe.

But when you arrive at this point, it is unsettling to say the least. I've been battling with all kinds of feelings.. though I think, at least, the fear has passed. I could say so much more, but that's it for now.

Look forward to getting to know people here and making some new friends.Wink
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 05:21 AM
RE: Confused
Hey , welcome to the forum.
I went through something similar in my de-conversion process, you need time to find your bearings again.Your world is turned upside down.
The process may be long and sometimes even painful , but at the end , reality awaits.
My advice, talk about what exactly is bothering you(if you want to) , and you will soon find that many people went through the same thing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Sounds like you're at level 7 on the grief scale - acceptance.

It is a tough process - I've jokingly said it hit me harder realizing that there is no hell than it did when coming to grips with no heaven...

Welcome!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Welcome Big Grin

Be sure to check out http://www.youtube.com/thethinkingatheist if you haven't already Smile
28-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the forum, and yes, there are a plethora of crazy mixed up emotions that follow a deconversion. I still feel some of them, as so many of my friends and family are theists - including my wife and basically my children. You'll find that sharing and listening to other people's stories will at least help you feel better and know you're not alone.

I would recommend checking out some stuff on youtube. Just search "deconversion" and you should find lots of people sharing their stories. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
28-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Thank you all so much. I will be back. Have a lot to absorb.
28-01-2011, 02:08 PM
(28-01-2011 01:55 PM)Rayven Wrote:  Thank you all so much. I will be back. Have a lot to absorb.
Enjoy the absorbing process Wink

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Welcome to TTAF! We'd be happy to help answer any questions you might have.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2011, 02:38 PM
(Leans back against wall with arms crossed like a movie stereotype, initially resistant to the new guy/girl)

We fear change.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
28-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Fear of change, fear of the unknown and rewiring of the brain are three reasons why changing thinking patterns is so hard. When we learn things our thinking patterns get altered. This affects how we feel. For people who are not used to this feeling, it is the unknown and can be very scary. The cure is to challenge oneself, especially one's thinking patterns. Challenge yourself to release your long held beliefs.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.