Confused Atheist & Theological Noncognitivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Confused Atheist & Theological Noncognitivism
Dear All,

So I am confused. Having become an atheist a year ago from Catholicism, well I thought I was the shit. Not on an intellectual level, or better than everyone else, but I thought that once I took this step I would easily stay on it.

However, I have just ran into Theological noncognitivism. Some people who are good at talking about "emergent truths" and Divine Command Theory as well as some philosophy analytics.

My past has come to haunt me, in times of stress especially now, I do believe I am suffering from scrupulosity. Now I am on the fence in regards to religion but am horrified at my thoughts that are coming in like "Women should stay in the household and only make children" type of thoughts, that last one being literally one of them. Let me not forget to mention that I am also Gay. Which is very weird that I find Catechism comforting at this present time. I also got splashed with some Schopenhauer. Sexuality, many forms of "fun", drugs. They all look like delusions atm. All our attempts to find "identity" and "meaning" are worthless and only make us want more stimulant for a brief fix. There is seemingly no point to making art, literature, any scientific advancement. Going home, getting a wife (which I really don't care to do!) making children, seems to be the "optimal ethical lifestyle". You know, with children being "inherent good".

I truly truly don't want to be Catholic. But more than ever Jr. Tolken makes sense. C.S Lewis makes sense. And really, any of our choices to be different from "God" seem to be a waste of time and a source of hardship.

If anyone would like to help me, I would be very very grateful. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Confused Atheist & Theological Noncognitivism
Welcome.

I’m sure you’ll get some interesting feedback here.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-05-2017, 06:24 PM
(06-05-2017 06:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

I’m sure you’ll get some interesting feedback here.

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will post my debate stuff that led me to this path on Debate channel probably tomorrow. I would say that I lost. Sad But I am looking to make it only a minor setback.
06-05-2017, 06:25 PM
So what exactly is drawing you back to religion if you don't like the thoughts it causes you?

Sounds like maybe you just thought it would be cool to be an atheist, and you played the role but you still believed and never were an atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
06-05-2017, 06:25 PM
any of our choices to be different from "God"- and what exactly does a "choice of God" provide? Other than an unsubstantiated promise of eternal life?

Oh, sorry, that's the introduction thread Dodgy

Welcome.

A friendly piece of advice - if you do stay here and are honestly going through some hard times religiously speaking, I'd refrain from saying things like "having become an atheist I thought I was the shit". Seriously, this has way too dishonest and passive-aggressive sound to it, whether you intended it thus or not.

(Also, if CS Lewis makes any semblance of sense to you... well, let's just say that things are looking rather bleak. Lewis is the literal mind-numbingly stupid, vapid and pretentious pits and has all the depth of a puddle in August)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
06-05-2017, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 07:45 PM by Thoreauvian.)
Welcome to the forum. The people here have lots of interesting perspectives to share.
06-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Welcome Witty.

I'm a former Catholic as well. Your only a year in to the land of reason so there are always rements of the Catholic guilt that stills lingers. But given time and more comfort with the subject matter and heared rebuttals for the arguments, it will eventually fade.

When ever you get something that bothers you or feel that Theologian has a "sound point" post it. People have been at longer and most likely have a different point of view.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Don't forget Lewis was raised Christian. If he was raised in another religion, he would have been touting that religion's version of god.
06-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Also this is an Intro thread, so welcome Wink

But to shoot holes in many of Lewis' statements, I highly recommend watching Why We Believe In Gods by Andy Thomson on YouTube. Watch Who Wrote The Gospels by Bart Ehrman, also available on YouTube. Watch Disproving Gods with History and Science by Richard Carrier on YouTube. Watch Dawkins/Pell debate-on YouTube. Read the Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire by Richard Carrier (available online).

Hope this helps!
06-05-2017, 06:55 PM
(06-05-2017 06:25 PM)Vera Wrote:  any of our choices to be different from "God"- and what exactly does a "choice of God" provide? Other than an unsubstantiated promise of eternal life?

Oh, sorry, that's the introduction thread Dodgy

Welcome.

A friendly piece of advice - if you do stay here and are honestly going through some hard times religiously speaking, I'd refrain from saying things like "having become an atheist I thought I was the shit". Seriously, this has way too dishonest and passive-aggressive sound to it, whether you intended it thus or not.

(Also, if CS Lewis makes any semblance of sense to you... well, let's just say that things look rather bleak. Lewis is the literal mind-numbingly stupid, vapid and pretentious pits and has all the depth of a puddle in August)

Thanks for the advice. No, I did not mean to be dishonest, or passive aggressive. Did I think I was superior in some ways, yes. Having thought I learned a "Hidden Truth" of the universe did make me feel giddy...only after I had locked myself in my bedroom resisted the extreme urge to call a priest for an exorcism. Yes, as I was having doubts on faith and while I was initially questioning I did think too I was possessed by a daemon.

While I don't care so much for them now, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, may have gotten to me a little. From my upbringing and where I am currently in school, being belligerent on my lack of faith, and debating and such, felt like a necessity. An unwritten code of conduct seemed to be of a "New Atheist" was to act like a jerk. I believe I did fit the caricature of a stereotypical internet atheist just perfectly, the one you see as a meme and all. Now I am looking into research more,philosophy, and thinking rationally for the first time in my life. This being said, I had not expected a backtrack into faith, this current feeling is disconcerting, hostile, and this obsession has consumed my life.

In response to Dom:

You are probably more correct than not. My lack of faith to faith ratio as an atheist was at the highest 90% disbelief, 10% belief, now it is more a 60% disbelief 40% belief. My first steps towards disbelief was reading Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials". All the characters fighting the Authority, had things that I felt as a Catholic, I did not. Most notably, their wide range of feelings, their ability to express their sexual desires, and just really, a more fulfilling life. If I had not read that series, I would not be here today bugging this forum and getting hostile replies. Am I offended? Hell no. My positions that I posted are presumptuous, my thoughts I am having, if they were applied to society, would be cancer. That is why I am here, wanting to talk to intelligent people who have been atheists for a while, or firmly hold their beliefs. This is why I am also reading The Brothers Karamazov, Friedrich Nietzsche, and other opposition forces to Orthodoxy in the 1800s-1900s because they have clear opposition to the Catholic and Russian Orthodox (my mother being Catholic, my Father being Russian Orthodox and thus my upbringing), that while society has seemed to forgotten the bullshit Church ideas of that time, I myself am struggling with atm. I don't want go back. I want to move forward and if I take a beating on the way, well it will never be 1/5 as I felt crying thinking I was possessed by the Devil while watching the Atheist Experience.

Pitiful.
[+] 2 users Like SomethingWitty2's post