Confused Atheist & Theological Noncognitivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 03:28 PM
RE: Confused Atheist & Theological Noncognitivism
Welcome to the forum.

Unlike Julep, I love CS Lewis. Nothing like remaking religion using talking animals to make it look sillier than it already does.

As this is the Intro thread we can get into the nut-N-bolts of belief elsewhere.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

(I'll look forward to discussing some of your issues in another thread, as this is not really the correct place for the more intense debates.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-05-2017, 04:40 PM
(06-05-2017 06:13 PM)SomethingWitty2 Wrote:  Dear All,

So I am confused. Having become an atheist a year ago from Catholicism, well I thought I was the shit. Not on an intellectual level, or better than everyone else, but I thought that once I took this step I would easily stay on it.

However, I have just ran into Theological noncognitivism. Some people who are good at talking about "emergent truths" and Divine Command Theory as well as some philosophy analytics.

My past has come to haunt me, in times of stress especially now, I do believe I am suffering from scrupulosity. Now I am on the fence in regards to religion but am horrified at my thoughts that are coming in like "Women should stay in the household and only make children" type of thoughts, that last one being literally one of them. Let me not forget to mention that I am also Gay. Which is very weird that I find Catechism comforting at this present time. I also got splashed with some Schopenhauer. Sexuality, many forms of "fun", drugs. They all look like delusions atm. All our attempts to find "identity" and "meaning" are worthless and only make us want more stimulant for a brief fix. There is seemingly no point to making art, literature, any scientific advancement. Going home, getting a wife (which I really don't care to do!) making children, seems to be the "optimal ethical lifestyle". You know, with children being "inherent good".

I truly truly don't want to be Catholic. But more than ever Jr. Tolken makes sense. C.S Lewis makes sense. And really, any of our choices to be different from "God" seem to be a waste of time and a source of hardship.

If anyone would like to help me, I would be very very grateful. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

I would just say that you should remember that Tolkien and Lewis are primarily remembered as writers of fiction.
A lot of fiction may "make sense", but it remains fiction, nonetheless. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
10-05-2017, 04:20 PM

So I am confused. Having become an atheist a year ago from Catholicism, well I thought I was the shit. Not on an intellectual level, or better than everyone else, but I thought that once I took this step I would easily stay on it.

However, I have just ran into Theological noncognitivism. Some people who are good at talking about "emergent truths" and Divine Command Theory as well as some philosophy analytics.

My past has come to haunt me, in times of stress especially now, I do believe I am suffering from scrupulosity. Now I am on the fence in regards to religion but am horrified at my thoughts that are coming in like "Women should stay in the household and only make children" type of thoughts, that last one being literally one of them. Let me not forget to mention that I am also Gay. Which is very weird that I find Catechism comforting at this present time. I also got splashed with some Schopenhauer. Sexuality, many forms of "fun", drugs. They all look like delusions atm. All our attempts to find "identity" and "meaning" are worthless and only make us want more stimulant for a brief fix. There is seemingly no point to making art, literature, any scientific advancement. Going home, getting a wife (which I really don't care to do!) making children, seems to be the "optimal ethical lifestyle". You know, with children being "inherent good".

I truly truly don't want to be Catholic. But more than ever Jr. Tolken makes sense. C.S Lewis makes sense. And really, any of our choices to be different from "God" seem to be a waste of time and a source of hardship.

testing....trying to reply. what is noncognitism?
10-05-2017, 05:36 PM
(06-05-2017 06:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't forget Lewis was raised Christian. If he was raised in another religion, he would have been touting that religion's version of god.

why would you say that? Christopher Hitchens was raised a Christian.
10-05-2017, 05:44 PM
(09-05-2017 04:40 PM)Dr H Wrote:  

Welcome to the forum.

I would just say that you should remember that Tolkien and Lewis are primarily remembered as writers of fiction.
A lot of fiction may "make sense", but it remains fiction, nonetheless. Smile
emergent truth puts emphasis on emotional, so that doesn't seem like the emphasis is on truth. the thing you want to do is follow truth where ever it leads. If atheism is true, only material exists. No minds, just brains. That means no thinking, because chemicals react, they don't think. Watch some debates between William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. that will give you good views of both sides.
10-05-2017, 06:07 PM
emergent truth puts emphasis on emotional, so that doesn't seem like the emphasis is on truth. the thing you want to do is follow truth where ever it leads. If atheism is true, only material exists. No minds, just brains. That means no thinking, because chemicals react, they don't think. Watch some debates between William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. that will give you good views of both sides. hope this isn't a repost...still learning this site.
11-05-2017, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 11:30 AM by Chas.)
(10-05-2017 05:44 PM)depot12 Wrote:  emergent truth puts emphasis on emotional, so that doesn't seem like the emphasis is on truth. the thing you want to do is follow truth where ever it leads. If atheism is true, only material exists. No minds, just brains.

That is an absurd non sequitur. Minds are emergent from brains.

Quote:That means no thinking, because chemicals react, they don't think. Watch some debates between William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. that will give you good views of both sides.

Right, chemicals don't think, thinking is a chemical process.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
(10-05-2017 05:36 PM)depot12 Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 06:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Don't forget Lewis was raised Christian. If he was raised in another religion, he would have been touting that religion's version of god.

why would you say that? Christopher Hitchens was raised a Christian.

What? If Lewis had been raised in a Hindu milieu, he would be touting Hindu gods.

Many here were raised in a Christian milieu but were intelligent and skeptical enough to reject it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Hi SomethingWitty2, glad you are here. Consider Long name - I'ma call you SWitty - brevity, and such.

It sounds like you might be helping your own religious background give you a hard time. That sux. Probably a good idea you've shown up here. You'll get some decent feedback for your thoughts and if nothing else, we'll treat you like the human being you are. Shy

We've got our share of ex-catholics around here and at least one who is still into it. They can give you their take on those specific catholic doo-dads, which the rest of us often find disturbingly hilarious. Angel

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein