Confused and Unhappy... Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2017, 10:26 AM
RE: Confused and Unhappy... Sleep Paralysis
(21-09-2017 09:43 AM)goldenarm Wrote:  I think it could be stress related too. I plan on going to my doctor or talking to a therapist of some sort. What sucks is my doctor is a devout Baptist so I don't know how that would go. It needs to be done though!
Hey man, at the end of the day, I don't think you can get a medical degree on religion alone, so even though he may advise you to prey/whatever, he should legally give you a professional opinion. And you are always entitled to a second opinion elsewhere as well, so if all you're getting is "go and pray", then head to another doctor and see what they say.

Quote:The main reason I've wanted to believe in a god is so that way I can believe in an afterlife of some sort. Recently a lady I knew died and the thought of my parents (who are getting up there in age) dying and me never seeing them again troubles me. I know I should enjoy them now and face reality, but it's just something I have trouble dealing with.
I totally get it, and I think we've all been there in some form or another, and if you want or even need to believe that to get on with your life, then cool man, whatever you as a person need.

Quote:Being raised in a fundamentalist Christian home I've been told that God hates that kind of music because it glorifys drugs, sex, money, etc. In my opinion it's just music and it's better than quality than any Christian music out there. But if I'm a Christian then my opinion doesn't matter because it's God who is in charge.
This is the thing, you've been told about this? By who? People. And it's people that make these bold claims that they know what god wants/likes/does etc. In my personal opinion, Music is a human made concept and all genre's of music are a form of expression. In all honesty, I'm not big into music the glorifies sex/money/drugs, but not all rap music is about that, and you probably already know that. Just because there are rappers our there acting the big "I AM" about themselves, doesn't mean you can't still listen to other artists.

Quote:Honestly this is something I will never give up I think it's dumb to be so anti-sex. I can actually prove from the Bible that pre-marital sex isn't a sin based on original definitions of words, etc. But that's not the standard Christian viewpoint. So why did I try to give up sex? To honor my parents which is in the 10 commandments.
I get it, and if you want to do that. Its cool, but again keep it realistic. Do you do ANY kind of work on a Sunday? Because that would against the commandments, and lets face it, it's not specific. So not just like paid work, but surely any kind of work? (cleaning/garden work etc) is bad as well? Plus then you have your sins, and I quote: Leviticus 19:19 says "Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.", so can you honestly say you're sat there wearing ALL denim clothing right now? socks and pants included? No, obviously not. Of course then you have shellfish being an abomination....more Leviticus garbage, but it's in there. You can't follow 1 thing and not another, its all or nothing I would say.

And don't get me wrong, respecting your parents is a big deal, but [and I will say this with full confidence] there is not 1 person on the planet, living or dead, that has done 100% everything their parents have ever told them to do. EVER. And I can guarantee you that sir. I respect the heck outta my parents and despite being larger than her in every way, I'm petrified of upsetting my mum, but again dude....just use some common sense on this one, and enjoy your life. I'm not saying go crazy, as even as a dirty atheist, I'm not into drugs or profuse amounts of alcohol, and the reason I know it's not for me....is because I found out for myself. I enjoy drinking, but I know if I drink too much I get really tired. I've done drugs, but I know it's not good for me in the long run and that I don't really enjoy a lot of them either. I've been with girls, but literally only 2...and one of them is my wife lol. But you gotta experience things bud.

This is thing, and I am a parent so I'll be guilty of it too one day. Your parents want to protect you, but how do they know what they are protecting you from? Because they've been there and done that themselves. THATS how they know lol. Not because god told them, because you're dad knows what teenage boys think, and your mom knows what teenage boys are like with girls lol. Laugh out load

Quote:Your story motivates me! Thanks for all the help and thanks for sharing. I will definitely message you if something else comes up!

No worries bud, take it easy.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
21-09-2017, 11:08 AM
(20-09-2017 04:36 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Hello everyone. I know it's been a while and a lot has went on a changed since I was last on here. Two weeks into college I had a lot of things go wrong and I decided to leave the private Christian school to take classes at a local community college. Something happened there at the Christian School and I said some really harsh things about myself over something petty. It tore my parents up and they believed it was the Devil messing with me. So they agreed to help get my stuff and take me home.

I left on a Friday and that following Sunday I decided to read the Bible again all the way through and just pray for the sake of open mindedness and the hypothetical situation of there actually being a God there. That night I woke up screaming as loud as I could from a night terror. I literally started crying (I'm 19) and I was half asleep it felt so real. Mom and Dad came in my room praying. I believe it or not repented and asked Jesus to forgive me. Now most of you know I've been an Atheist for the past year and a half or so. So, this was my "coming back" moment. As both a Christian in the past and an Atheist for more than a year and a half I have had sleep paralysis a few times a week every week. It used to be like 4 times a week. This time I just felt different and started trying to live the Christian life again because it felt like God wanted me to come back to him.

Now, as a skeptical person and someone who is a perfectionist I have been going crazy this past month. My doubts would come back and I would debate on just staying away from religion. I've also been practicing lucid dreaming( note that I used to get sleep paralysis way before I practiced lucid dreaming) and hoping to find joy and peace there. A big reason I've tried becoming religious again is because I want live forever I admit it. I feel more obligated to do the right thing and sometimes happier. However, when I key in on Christianity it gets hard to abstain from sex with my girlfriend, stop listening to rap music, etc.

My mind literally conflicts between these two world views and it feels comfortable believing in the God of the Bible but there are some standards that I don't think I can go back to. Honestly, I would try to stay away from Christianity, but the next night I will get BAD sleep paralysis. It feels so real and made me question if demons were real or just psychological.

Let me give you a few examples of what I've dealt with this month:
• I was laying in my bed in the middle of the night and seen my room. I couldn't move. I looked to my left and there was a prescience there. I couldn't see it but it startled jabbing me in the side, then the other, then the back and I woke up screaming.
• One night I had a dream that I was on FaceTime with my girlfriend and a dark figure was in the back ground and I woke up screaming.
• This one is the worst. I had sleep paralysis and could see my room again. I looked over at my door and seen a dark, humanoid figure staring at me. I woke up screaming," Get away from me you demon!" And literally got out of the bed and tried to chase it away. It woke my whole family up. So my parents switched me rooms. My dad ended up getting sleep paralysis in my room and he had a dream of this half animal half human with a tattoo on its forehead. They of course believe this is demons and it only strengthens their faith. I stopped practicing lucid dreaming after this night and repented yet again.

My parents believe me to be Christian and I've been ready the Bible and apologetics books, but my mind is messed up. One day I'm Christian, one day spiritual, and another atheist and I just can't find peace with myself. Religion requires a lot but without it I fear death and fear the loss of my loved ones forever.

What's wrong with me? I swear I have a personality problem or something I don't know. Do you all have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the way I should note that all of my sleep paralysis incidents have occurred in my room minus one time.

Is there any way you can move away from your parents home? Life is more interesting and you'll "find yourself" when you leave the nest of your parents place. You'll be able to think for yourself. As it is, it sound like you're being pulled in every direction emotionally.

I'm going to go out on a limb and give you my opinion on religion, particularly Christianity. This particular religion needs to convince people, usually from a very early age, that they are evil and bad and that they are in debt from day one of their birth. After the church has thoroughly and completely convinced you that you are horrible, evil, miserable, unworthy, unfit, undeserving, wretched, debt-ridden and evil in every way...do they then convince you that the one and only antedote to this problem , the only possible way to fix it .......is in the form of a Jesus Pill.

You've been convinced that only when you take the Jesus Pill and swallow it whole will you be cured of all these problems. And you MUST keep taking the Jesus Pill every day or you'll become that wretched person again.

But here's the reality. You are NOT born with a debt hanging over your head. You are NOT a bad person when you are born. You do NOT need to pay an extortionist's fee of constant prostration and worship to a, thus far, undetectable god in order to be spared eternity of burning in hell. You can be a good and wonderful person without a god. Millions of people do it around the world everyday.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-09-2017, 02:28 PM
You may have a sleep disorder.
There is nothing about these that involves either God or demons, and many of them can be treated, once properly diagnosed.

Sleep paralysis: Causes, symptoms, and tips

Sleep Paralysis – Diagnosis & Treatment

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
21-09-2017, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 02:51 PM by Brian37.)
(20-09-2017 04:36 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Hello everyone. I know it's been a while and a lot has went on a changed since I was last on here. Two weeks into college I had a lot of things go wrong and I decided to leave the private Christian school to take classes at a local community college. Something happened there at the Christian School and I said some really harsh things about myself over something petty. It tore my parents up and they believed it was the Devil messing with me. So they agreed to help get my stuff and take me home.

I left on a Friday and that following Sunday I decided to read the Bible again all the way through and just pray for the sake of open mindedness and the hypothetical situation of there actually being a God there. That night I woke up screaming as loud as I could from a night terror. I literally started crying (I'm 19) and I was half asleep it felt so real. Mom and Dad came in my room praying. I believe it or not repented and asked Jesus to forgive me. Now most of you know I've been an Atheist for the past year and a half or so. So, this was my "coming back" moment. As both a Christian in the past and an Atheist for more than a year and a half I have had sleep paralysis a few times a week every week. It used to be like 4 times a week. This time I just felt different and started trying to live the Christian life again because it felt like God wanted me to come back to him.

Now, as a skeptical person and someone who is a perfectionist I have been going crazy this past month. My doubts would come back and I would debate on just staying away from religion. I've also been practicing lucid dreaming( note that I used to get sleep paralysis way before I practiced lucid dreaming) and hoping to find joy and peace there. A big reason I've tried becoming religious again is because I want live forever I admit it. I feel more obligated to do the right thing and sometimes happier. However, when I key in on Christianity it gets hard to abstain from sex with my girlfriend, stop listening to rap music, etc.

My mind literally conflicts between these two world views and it feels comfortable believing in the God of the Bible but there are some standards that I don't think I can go back to. Honestly, I would try to stay away from Christianity, but the next night I will get BAD sleep paralysis. It feels so real and made me question if demons were real or just psychological.

• I was laying in my bed in the middle of the night and seen my room. I couldn't move. I looked to my left and there was a prescience there. I couldn't see it but it startled jabbing me in the side, then the other, then the back and I woke up screaming.
• One night I had a dream that I was on FaceTime with my girlfriend and a dark figure was in the back ground and I woke up screaming.
• This one is the worst. I had sleep paralysis and could see my room again. I looked over at my door and seen a dark, humanoid figure staring at me. I woke up screaming," Get away from me you demon!" And literally got out of the bed and tried to chase it away. It woke my whole family up. So my parents switched me rooms. My dad ended up getting sleep paralysis in my room and he had a dream of this half animal half human with a tattoo on its forehead. They of course believe this is demons and it only strengthens their faith. I stopped practicing lucid dreaming after this night and repented yet again.

My parents believe me to be Christian and I've been ready the Bible and apologetics books, but my mind is messed up. One day I'm Christian, one day spiritual, and another atheist and I just can't find peace with myself. Religion requires a lot but without it I fear death and fear the loss of my loved ones forever.

What's wrong with me? I swear I have a personality problem or something I don't know. Do you all have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the way I should note that all of my sleep paralysis incidents have occurred in my room minus one time.

Your hallucinations are an unfortunate part of our species evolution. If someone sells you something scary before you can form critical thinking skills, those claims you buy into can get over conflated in your head combined with any mental illness you may suffer from.

Mental illness does not make you evil. It just means you have brain issues that cause roadblocks in information processing. I suffer from anxiety and depression myself. The good news is that there is no sky wizard vs a guy with a pitchfork causing any of this.

The good news is there is no comic book super hero vs a comic book villain battling over the neurons in your brain. What you have is normal in the context of our species evolution. What is not a good idea, is contributing your problems to old mythology.

It is ok to need help. It is ok to talk to others about your problems. It is not ok to attach your problems to superstitions.

FYI I have had the same false experience happen to men 3 times as a kid. Once I saw my dead grandmother at the foot of my bed. Second time I saw my dead father at the foot of my bed. Third time I saw my then living mother at the food of my bed.

It really is nothing more than your open eyes and hearing mixing with your dream state. It is only real in the context that it is a dream, but it is not real in the context that there is an after life or spirits or ghosts of your relatives.

It is a hallucination and nothing more.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Everyone I know including myself had this growing up. I still have them. Totally normal. Your waking mind and sleeping mind are temporarily confused as input comes in through your eyes and ears while dreaming/waking.

Check it:

https://www.livescience.com/56422-sleep-...tures.html
21-09-2017, 07:34 PM
21-09-2017, 07:35 PM
21-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Blush
(21-09-2017 11:08 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Quote:Is there any way you can move away from your parents home? Life is more interesting and you'll "find yourself" when you leave the nest of your parents place. You'll be able to think for yourself. As it is, it sound like you're being pulled in every direction emotionally.
Yea I'm starting to think that's the case too. The only way I could get out of the house would be to go back to college away from home. I commited to going to a local community college this year(online classes this semester). I could go back to public university next year? While in the meantime trying to do as much away from home as possible? Any advice?

Quote:I'm going to go out on a limb and give you my opinion on religion, particularly Christianity. This particular religion needs to convince people, usually from a very early age, that they are evil and bad and that they are in debt from day one of their birth. After the church has thoroughly and completely convinced you that you are horrible, evil, miserable, unworthy, unfit, undeserving, wretched, debt-ridden and evil in every way...do they then convince you that the one and only antedote to this problem , the only possible way to fix it .......is in the form of a Jesus Pill.

You've been convinced that only when you take the Jesus Pill and swallow it whole will you be cured of all these problems. And you MUST keep taking the Jesus Pill every day or you'll become that wretched person again.
Deep down I know that this is the case. However, I've tried to deny it. I think when I try to come back to religion it's like a temporary relapse. The delusion makes me feel happy at first, b:shocking:ut has long term effects.

Quote:But here's the reality. You are NOT born with a debt hanging over your head. You are NOT a bad person when you are born. You do NOT need to pay an extortionist's fee of constant prostration and worship to a, thus far, undetectable god in order to be spared eternity of burning in hell. You can be a good and wonderful person without a god. Millions of people do it around the world everyday.
Thank you so much! Big Grin
21-09-2017, 07:48 PM
(21-09-2017 06:50 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe less drama?
I mean just ....... stop.
Or not.
I don't mean to make lite of your situation but I can't relate except to think that much of it (as much of everything in our lives) you choose.
I've been through a lot of heavy shit in my life but I guess I've just been lucky enough not to go through all this sort of shit.
And this is an Atheist board so I must suppose that the majority of people will call bullshit on your story about a "prescience" (a dictionary might be a good first step) jabbing you in the side.
I really don't mean to make lite of your situation but having dealt with people talking about Ghosts and visitations or whatever the one unifying factor seems to be that they really seem to in an odd way being enjoying the entire thing. No matter how they protest about the horror of it all I have always found a certain taste for the drama of it being present.
I wish you the best but I might suggest that you "just stop". Get over it.
I (and I actually assume the majority of us Atheists) don't buy it.
Yeah I know. Now I'm gonna be instructed about dreams and the phenomenon of Sleep Paralysis bla bla.
At best it's too much information. If that's the case then see a shrink. Not a web forum. And certainly not an Atheist forum.
This all smacks of an appetite for attention. And the cure for that is tough love.
My opinion. Take it or leave it.

Wow. Just Wow. Tell me, BikerDude, would you tell an epileptic to "just stop" twitching? Or an asthmatic to "get over" gasping for breath? Someone venting about their cancer to suck it up, that it "smacks of an appetite for attention"? And although this is, yes, indeed an "atheist board" the "rules" make it clear that all are welcome, atheist or theist. Wow, this is posted on "personal issues and support." If you're not clicking on "this forum" thread to offer support, well, gosh, yeah, you're certainly entitled to *take* your (entirely unhelpful, unsympathetic) opinion and I, am certainly able to "leave it."
[Image: hopeless-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
21-09-2017, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 07:52 PM by goldenarm.)
(21-09-2017 02:45 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  

Your hallucinations are an unfortunate part of our species evolution. If someone sells you something scary before you can form critical thinking skills, those claims you buy into can get over conflated in your head combined with any mental illness you may suffer from.

Mental illness does not make you evil. It just means you have brain issues that cause roadblocks in information processing. I suffer from anxiety and depression myself. The good news is that there is no sky wizard vs a guy with a pitchfork causing any of this.

The good news is there is no comic book super hero vs a comic book villain battling over the neurons in your brain. What you have is normal in the context of our species evolution. What is not a good idea, is contributing your problems to old mythology.

It is ok to need help. It is ok to talk to others about your problems. It is not ok to attach your problems to superstitions.

FYI I have had the same false experience happen to men 3 times as a kid. Once I saw my dead grandmother at the foot of my bed. Second time I saw my dead father at the foot of my bed. Third time I saw my then living mother at the food of my bed.

It really is nothing more than your open eyes and hearing mixing with your dream state. It is only real in the context that it is a dream, but it is not real in the context that there is an after life or spirits or ghosts of your relatives.

It is a hallucination and nothing more.
Oh wow that's awful. I'm not going to lie, the last time I had sleep paralysis I knew it was in my mind and I've said this before. I have honestly tried to deny it.