Confused

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-01-2011, 04:23 AM

RE: Confused
All the comments and welcomes are much appreciated. I have been looking up "de-conversion." This fascinates me. I believed, since I was 8 years old, that I'd been put here to do something for God, something huge, and there were times I believed, too, that demons were trying to stop me. How egotistical are we when we subscribe to these theories? And how insane? No wonder I took self-destructive paths.

Bear with me, I was in Catholic School for 12 years. I had no idea how "programmed" I was.

I was dealing with people in recovery (AA, etc.) and everything their program tells them to do is the opposite of what "God" supposedly does.. Where is the accountability and the humility in the God they worship? It was actually my son who brought much of this to my attention. When people tell you to give credit and thanks to God for anything you accomplish and for anything good that happens to you but tell you anything bad that happens is YOUR fault. (Nothing bad that happens is EVER God's fault.) My son would make me laugh when I'd say thank God, and he'd say...God doesn't give a F.. if he is even there at all. It took me a few years to stop getting scared he'd go straight to hell for that.

Surprisingly, one of the things that accelerated my "awakening" was seeing that the people who hide behind "God" are some of the angriest, most hateful, judgmental and unforgiving people, often miserable. And honestly, none of it makes any sense...NONE of it. It now is almost embarrassing when I listen to the way people talk about God and how he will save them. WTF is he waiting for?

I have been working on a series of several books, one of which is completed, and it was in the middle of my synopsis for the first book that it all began to click. Now when I read what I wrote, I am tweaking the narrative perspective. It's a lot better, but I struggled with...NOW what am I doing this for. TFF Like I can't simply do it for entertainment, because that's all it really is.

I am actually relieved that I am not here on some special mission that I will have to ward off demons to accomplish, though it would make good fiction (which is what The Bible really is) unless you want to say it is bad fiction. I would give you that.

And I have no problem being accountable for my actions and learning how to lead a more humble existence, but it's also nice that I can now take some credit for all the hard work I do. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 05:03 PM
(29-01-2011 04:23 AM)Rayven Wrote:  And I have no problem being accountable for my actions and learning how to lead a more humble existence, but it's also nice that I can now take some credit for all the hard work I do. Tongue

You are in great company. Many of the world's best scientists were humble people. They were in awe of the magnitude of the universe. Theists are seldom that humble. The more fervant a theist is, the less humble s/he is, which is contrary to his/her beliefs. Go figure.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Buddy Christ! Stop being an ass and make friends!! Damn Messiahs always thinking they're better than everyone else..

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-01-2011, 11:05 AM
(29-01-2011 05:03 PM)No J. Wrote:  Theists are seldom that humble. The more fervant a theist is, the less humble s/he is, which is contrary to his/her beliefs. Go figure.
Yet, at the same time, they still believe they're being more humble than everyone else. Cognitive Dissonance is a fascinating thing, isn't it?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
30-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Fascinating is one of the adjectives that can be used to describe cognitive dissonance.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
31-01-2011, 09:42 PM
(29-01-2011 04:23 AM)Rayven Wrote:  Surprisingly, one of the things that accelerated my "awakening" was seeing that the people who hide behind "God" are some of the angriest, most hateful, judgmental and unforgiving people, often miserable. And honestly, none of it makes any sense...NONE of it. It now is almost embarrassing when I listen to the way people talk about God and how he will save them. WTF is he waiting for?

I'm glad you noticed this. What is surprising to me is that more people don't see it. I've never experienced hate like I have since I moved to the bible belt. Not necessarily directed straight at me, but it's out there, and very plain to see. They hate everyone who isn't just like them.

I'm an atheist so what do I know, but is this really "god's message?"

Welcome! Big Grin

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Question RE: Confused
What if I truely belive in a higher power I'm just not sure what higher power I should be praising?Everything I know seems to be in question but the people I know to go to about religon are all set in their beliefs each one is completly devoted to their belifs. I need an open minded opinion
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
(07-04-2013 10:00 PM)ts80 Wrote:  What if I truely belive in a higher power I'm just not sure what higher power I should be praising?Everything I know seems to be in question but the people I know to go to about religon are all set in their beliefs each one is completly devoted to their belifs. I need an open minded opinion

None. Believe in yourself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2013, 06:44 AM
(07-04-2013 10:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 10:00 PM)ts80 Wrote:  What if I truely belive in a higher power I'm just not sure what higher power I should be praising?Everything I know seems to be in question but the people I know to go to about religon are all set in their beliefs each one is completly devoted to their belifs. I need an open minded opinion

None. Believe in yourself.

Life without a greater purpose seems so useless. There has to be a greater goal otherwise Why would humans posses thoughts emotions and choices. Animal do not posses these qualities. So again I ask how do we find the truth?
08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
(08-04-2013 06:44 AM)ts80 Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 10:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  None. Believe in yourself.

Life without a greater purpose seems so useless. There has to be a greater goal otherwise Why would humans posses thoughts emotions and choices. Animal do not posses these qualities. So again I ask how do we find the truth?

We are animals and we possess these qualities. Many attributes once thought to be only human have been found in other animals; compassion, cooperation, tool-making, problem solving, communication, intention, etc.

You make your own purpose, your own goals. Why would you want to fulfill someone else's purpose?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post