Confusing sleep with being dead.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Confusing sleep with being dead.
I confuse my sleep with being dead. Once I was waking up and I grumbled to myself, "I'm ALIVE" and then just the other day when I woke up and I was in a deep concentration about death as if I was dead already, and contemplating about the day I die. To me a dreamless sleep and death are the same thing. You aren't aware of either one until you wake up, or born into your conscious being, and don't think that after you die you have a choice in choosing whether you want to be conscious again or not. Because you certainly didn't have a choice in this life did you? You couldn't just decide to choose to exist or not. I think humans have a hard time with conceiving they don't have a choice.

A lot of atheists believe they'll be dead forever and the theists think they'll live forever in some paradise. Personally I think both are wishful thinking.

Just wondered if anyone else had this problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 12:11 AM
RE: Confusing sleep with being dead.
(07-01-2013 11:45 PM)Heilo Wrote:  I confuse my sleep with being dead. Once I was waking up and I grumbled to myself, "I'm ALIVE" and then just the other day when I woke up and I was in a deep concentration about death as if I was dead already, and contemplating about the day I die.

I've never experienced such a confusion, but many people experience different things when they sleep, or different dreams. Some even dreamless much of the time. I don't really contemplate about dying that much, it doesn't really bother me.

(07-01-2013 11:45 PM)Heilo Wrote:  To me a dreamless sleep and death are the same thing. You aren't aware of either one until you wake up, or born into your conscious being, and don't think that after you die you have a choice in choosing whether you want to be conscious again or not.

Well, the experience may be similar. But death is ultimately when brain activity ceases entirely and your consciousness is no more. Being unconscious in a dreamless sleep doesn't mean your consciousness has ceased to be. Your brain still functions, your subconscious functions still work (example: ears still work since you can be woken up, so your brain processes sound and feel if you say feel a thump in the middle of the night). But you wake up and all the sudden you're there whereas you may just recall going to sleep.

It's an interesting thought though. It would be interesting to see what it looks like.

Have you watched "The secret you"? It was a special on consciousness on BBC, was very interesting and they actually studied brain activity on people who had been sedated.

(07-01-2013 11:45 PM)Heilo Wrote:  Because you certainly didn't have a choice in this life did you? You couldn't just decide to choose to exist or not. I think humans have a hard time with conceiving they don't have a choice.

No one had a choice. But here you are. I agree though, many people don't like to cope with that. I think for some people, trying to understand that you had no choice in the matter, you're just here and perhaps no ultimate purpose decided for you to be or wanted you to be or chose you to be (aside from your parents reproducing) is maybe even too much to cope with.

(07-01-2013 11:45 PM)Heilo Wrote:  A lot of atheists believe they'll be dead forever and the theists think they'll live forever in some paradise. Personally I think both are wishful thinking.

Well... your consciousness as you know it once you die stops since your brain stops.

What do you think happens when you die?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
10-01-2013, 01:44 AM
RE: Confusing sleep with being dead.
(07-01-2013 11:45 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I confuse my sleep with being dead. Once I was waking up and I grumbled to myself, "I'm ALIVE" and then just the other day when I woke up and I was in a deep concentration about death as if I was dead already, and contemplating about the day I die. To me a dreamless sleep and death are the same thing. You aren't aware of either one until you wake up, or born into your conscious being, and don't think that after you die you have a choice in choosing whether you want to be conscious again or not. Because you certainly didn't have a choice in this life did you? You couldn't just decide to choose to exist or not. I think humans have a hard time with conceiving they don't have a choice.

A lot of atheists believe they'll be dead forever and the theists think they'll live forever in some paradise. Personally I think both are wishful thinking.

You are correct, both are wishful thinking. At least where I am concerned. I am not trying to speak for others. I cannot be 100% sure that death is the end. Based on scientific knowledge, death is the end of everyone. I am really only 99% certain about it. I can say that I am 100% sure that neither side knows for sure. I am absolutely sure that religions don't really know anything. I might find myself over-looking my body after I die and being sucked from that location into the body of some pregnant woman, so I can do it all over again as a different person. I may just be worm food. I might find that I have some control over who my next parents are. I might find that one of the religions was true. Who really knows? I just choose to live as if I don't know, instead of pretending to know.