Consensus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2017, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 06:29 AM by BlkFnx.)
Consensus
I will lay out my objection to reputation system. For anyone who has seen Black Mirror season 3 you will know exactly where I am going with this. Rep systems are fundamentally flawed because they rely on the consensus and silent voices of dissent. Very quickly individuals can find themselves black listed for voicing opposing views. This leads to a snake eating it's own tail, with individuals being excommunicated for stepping outside the acceptable doctrine. I was ridiculed elsewhere on this forum for saying that I don't care what the consensus says. Not too long ago the consensus was that slavery was alright because the bible said so. There have been all kinds of things believed and done in the name of consensus. We (humans as a whole) like to look back on the past as if we are at the height of human existence, of course our ancestors were ignorant savages. Consider the arrogance of that belief. We learned language, art, music, fire, and so much more from our Neanderthal cousins. Who's to say they didn't have writing, lot can be lost in 250,000 years. All of this was ridiculed and mocked by the consensus because at one point the facts didn't fit the accepted narrative. Up until the last decade "scientists" were still pushing the idea that most mammals were monogamous, now we know less than 3%(perhaps, maybe, we really hope) are monogamous. I don't care about the consensus I care about the facts. Show me the raw data. Rep systems are bunk. Consensus is bunk. It's how you end up with an inbred ideology.

How sure am I of my own views? Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever you think your bound to be okay, because your in the safely moral majority."-- Christopher Hitchens

Stay Skeptical

*Thanks to Buckey Ball for the spell check. I'm dyslexic so I always appreciate the assit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2017, 06:02 AM
RE: Consensus
I hear what you are saying about the Rep system. That said, when you find yourself continuously in the red, do you think maybe it's time for a little self-assessment in terms of forum interaction?
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
06-07-2017, 06:20 AM
(06-07-2017 05:04 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  I will lay out my objection to reputation system. For anyone who has seen Black Mirror season 3 you will know exactly where I am going with this. Rep systems are fundamentally flawed because they rely on the consensus and silent voices of decent. Very quickly individuals can find themselves black listed for voicing opposing views. This leads to a snake eating it's own tail, with individuals being excommunicated for stepping outside the acceptable doctrine. I was ridiculed elsewhere on this forum for saying that I don't care what the consensus says. Not too long ago the consensus was that slavery was alright because the bible said so. There have been all kinds of things believed and done in the name of consensus. We (humans as a whole) like to look back on the past as if we are at the height of human existence, of course our ancestors were ignorant savages. Consider the arrogance of that belief. We learned language, art, music, fire, and so much more from our Neanderthal cousins. Who's to say they didn't have writing, lot can be lost in 250,000 years. All of this was ridiculed and mocked by the consensus because at one point the facts didn't fit the accepted narrative. Up until the last decade "scientists" were still pushing the idea that most mammals were monogamous, now we know less than 3%(perhaps, maybe, we really hope) are monogamous. I don't care about the consensus I care about the facts. Show me the raw data. Rep systems are bunk. Consensus is bunk. It's how you end up with an inbred ideology.

How sure am I of my own views? Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever you think your bound to be okay, because your in the safely moral majority."-- Christopher Hitchens

Stay Skeptical

Nope. False.
Rep point are INDIVIDUALLY given. The total may reflect a total of individual opinions, but the entire OP is based on a false idea. There is nothing "silent" about individuals who decide, totally independently, to give or take a rep away.
The entire OP is the fallacy of the false analogy.

You need cheese with your whine.

BTW, "dissent" is not spelled "decent".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2017, 06:21 AM
(06-07-2017 06:02 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I hear what you are saying about the Rep system. That said, when you find yourself continuously in the red, do you think maybe it's time for a little self-assessment in terms of forum interaction?

That assumes that I actually in anyway care. If I did that would kind of be contrary to what I said in the original post. I do not nor will I ever participate in a reputation system. That said I will admit to finding the comments left amusing. The only one who has down checked me that I have respect for is Momsurroundedbyboys. I have a fundamental disagreement and do not respect the fact that she keeps talking past me. That being said I can respect her as a person because she at least did not result to vulgar name calling when she ranked me.
06-07-2017, 06:23 AM
(06-07-2017 06:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nope. False.
Rep point are INDIVIDUALLY given. The total may reflect a total of individual opinions, but the entire OP is based on a false idea. There is nothing "silent" about individuals who decide, totally independently, to give or take a rep away.
The entire OP is the fallacy of the false analogy.

You need cheese with your whine.

And how is this different than any other rep system that exists?
06-07-2017, 06:23 AM
You get neg rep
#1 because you disagree with the majority
#2 you are constantly wrong
#3 you are constantly behaving like an ass
#4 a combination of 1-3

You came to the conclusion it is #1 in your case why exactly?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
06-07-2017, 06:27 AM
(06-07-2017 06:23 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  You get neg rep
#1 because you disagree with the majority
#2 you are constantly wrong
#3 you are constantly behaving like an ass
#4 a combination of 1-3

You came to the conclusion it is #1 in your case why exactly?

Wow... Okay. Again I don't care about my own rep points. In fact this was originally included in another post but I broke it off because it didn't really belong there. Ignore the fact that I made the post and re-read it.
06-07-2017, 06:27 AM
(06-07-2017 06:21 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 06:02 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I hear what you are saying about the Rep system. That said, when you find yourself continuously in the red, do you think maybe it's time for a little self-assessment in terms of forum interaction?

That assumes that I actually in anyway care. If I did that would kind of be contrary to what I said in the original post. I do not nor will I ever participate in a reputation system. That said I will admit to finding the comments left amusing. The only one who has down checked me that I have respect for is Momsurroundedbyboys. I have a fundamental disagreement and do not respect the fact that she keeps talking past me. That being said I can respect her as a person because she at least did not result to vulgar name calling when she ranked me.

Your 'respect' for moms is based on your new knowledge that she, in fact, has control over your participation here. Drinking Beverage

Still puckering up I see.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-07-2017, 06:33 AM
(06-07-2017 06:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Your 'respect' for moms is based on your new knowledge that she, in fact, has control over your participation here. Drinking Beverage

Still puckering up I see.

If you read my last post in the altruism thread you would know that no such thing is true. That leaves aside the fact that while I admitted a respect for the way he down checked me, I was critical of how she handles views contrary to her own. If in fact I were actually trying to kiss up to her I hope she would think less of me.
06-07-2017, 06:40 AM
(06-07-2017 06:21 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  

If you don't care about the rep system, why are you bothering to read comments left by members on your rep system? Why are you making a post to discuss the rep system?
[+] 10 users Like jennybee's post