Consensus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 03:08 AM
RE: Consensus
(06-07-2017 02:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  I used to be quite precious about neg reps. Now I hand them out like candy. One for every dickhead I meet Smile

I never gave them out, until Heywood hit me with a negative, so I hit him back with a -2 (back when I could, OG Veteran). I think he tried to play nice for like 3 whole months just to get back up into positive Rep, just so he could do that, and he tanked back again so hard that he never got back up from it. I've only had a few more since then, but I tend to wear each of them as a badge of pride.

I've only got 5 negatives, and of those 3 are banned from the forum, and the other 2 (Free and good ol' crazy Luminon) have basically disappeared. I do sorta miss Luminon's bullshit posting of whatever tripe Stephan Molyneux most recently vomited up all over the web, he was a fun punching bag.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-07-2017, 07:40 AM
(06-07-2017 02:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  I used to be quite precious about neg reps. Now I hand them out like candy. One for every dickhead I meet Smile

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Well, OP it seems like you have tucked your tail between your legs and noped the fuck outta here I just want to offer an observation if I may.

In my entire time being here on this forum I have never ONCE heard a person with an overwhelmingly positive reputation complain about the rep system. Not once to my knowledge. The only people who do are the silly cunts, not unlike yourself, who can't have an online presence for 3 days without annoying people. The reason people in the red don't like the rep system, or think it's flawed or somehow broken is because they are people and like most people, we all like to think we are well liked and we don't like having that little delusion shattered. People don't like having to be passively reminded every time they post that no they really actually are a shit heel. Take Piers Morgan, for example, that man is one of the stupidest, most dishonest, scummy, hated human beings on the planet but he probably thinks that all in all most people like him well enough.

Basically what I am saying is that when the view of the forum so far is that you are a cunt....turning yourself into a whiny cunt really ain't gonna help. Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 9 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
07-07-2017, 01:28 PM
(07-07-2017 11:54 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Well, OP it seems like you have tucked your tail between your legs and noped the fuck outta here I just want to offer an observation if I may.

In my entire time being here on this forum I have never ONCE heard a person with an overwhelmingly positive reputation complain about the rep system. Not once to my knowledge. The only people who do are the silly cunts, not unlike yourself, who can't have an online presence for 3 days without annoying people. The reason people in the red don't like the rep system, or think it's flawed or somehow broken is because they are people and like most people, we all like to think we are well liked and we don't like having that little delusion shattered. People don't like having to be passively reminded every time they post that no they really actually are a shit heel. Take Piers Morgan, for example, that man is one of the stupidest, most dishonest, scummy, hated human beings on the planet but he probably thinks that all in all most people like him well enough.

Basically what I am saying is that when the view of the forum so far is that you are a cunt....turning yourself into a whiny cunt really ain't gonna help. Drinking Beverage

I had wondered when he started this thread if he'd pick up a lot more negative points just for whining. Nope! Apparently the members of this forum aren't banding together and attacking the outsider out of any kind of pack mentality. Those negatives were hard-earned points from people who took the time to read his posts and rate him based on his own merits.

He should be proud to know that his negatives reflect genuine, authentic feedback that comes from the heart. <3
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
07-07-2017, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 01:41 PM by BlkFnx.)
(07-07-2017 11:54 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Well, OP it seems like you have tucked your tail between your legs and noped the fuck outta here I just want to offer an observation if I may.

So... ya... I kinda feel like the point here is being missed. The criticism of reputation systems is not a criticism of the reputation system on this forum. It is a criticism of reputations systems. Rep systems create a positive feedback loop in the group. In a social dynamic positive feedback loops are enforced through ridicule and ostracism of members who contradict the accepted views. Note that I did not say ridicule or ostracism of the contrary view.

(06-07-2017 03:36 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 03:01 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  No one is "excommunicated" for having low/negative rep. They have all the same rights they had before. They lose them, or get banned, generally as a result of breaking forum rules.

I've seen people post plenty of unpopular opinions without getting hammered with neg reps. It's about how you present it.

Personally I would prefer to only be able to give positive reps, but the whole system can be easily ignored so it's not a big deal.

Not strictly true though mate, someone with neg rep cannot rep anyone else either positively or negatively.So you do lose some rights or privileges.
I actually didn't know that someone who was negative couldn't rate others. This is exactly the kind of positive feedback loop which I am criticizing. Let me make my own personal position clear. Even if the rep system were a negative feedback system I still wouldn't participate in it, because there are still problems in such a system. As far as positive systems, without negative feedback it is easy to game the system in such a way that those who hold contrary views and opinions can easily be silenced, and or discredited simply for having a contrary view.

**Rep wars**

Positive
In a rep system based on a positive feedback loop those with negative feed are silenced from participating in the rep system. This means that those with positive reps can game the system to silence individuals who are not only those who are personally contrary, but also those who hold contrary views. (Silenced does not mean the person cannot post, rather that they are excluded from participating in the rep system).

Negative
In a rep system based on a negative feedback loop as was the case with ebay you end up with a situation of retaliation and counter retaliation.

A possible solution.
This is something I have thought on quite a bit and I am not sure that there is good solution for. A solution (and not a good one at that) is to have a negative feedback limited rep system in which the individual member can view their reputation as a way to get a general idea about their own reputation. In such a system the name of those giving the reputation up check or down check would be redacted in order to prevent retaliation, while the comment would remain.

While I still would not participate in such a system it would address many (but not all) of my objections to rep systems and the problem of consensus.

Ridicule of position
In my entire time being here on this forum I have never ONCE heard a person with an overwhelmingly positive reputation complain about the rep system. Not once to my knowledge.

Ridicule of individual
The only people who do are the silly cunts...

Edit
And to answer Aliza the answer to your question is I will honestly say I don't know. This was posted in response to a comment made about Rep on another thread. So had the question of reputation come up when I had a positive rep, or in relation to someone else who had a negative rep the answer is yes I would have started this thread. If there had been no reference to rep then... Maybe?
07-07-2017, 02:07 PM
(07-07-2017 01:38 PM)BlkFnx Wrote:  I actually didn't know that someone who was negative couldn't rate others. This is exactly the kind of positive feedback loop which I am criticizing. Let me make my own personal position clear. Even if the rep system were a negative feedback system I still wouldn't participate in it, because there are still problems in such a system. As far as positive systems, without negative feedback it is easy to game the system in such a way that those who hold contrary views and opinions can easily be silenced, and or discredited simply for having a contrary view.

**Rep wars**

Actually that's exactly why we don't allow neg rep people to give rep.

They aren't silenced and are free to share their thoughts anywhere except in rep and by the way that's how they're judged. We also don't allow people without rep give rep. Oh the humanity!

There are forums that only allow positive rep, a system I find very confusing.

And as to your remarks about creating a feedback loop and shit like that...

It's all mental maturbatiion on your part and something you wouldn't have thought twice about, if you hadn't landed with neg rep to begin with.

Your rep was earned by your posts here, nothing else.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-07-2017, 02:12 PM
(07-07-2017 01:38 PM)BlkFnx Wrote:  ....
In my entire time being here on this forum I have never ONCE heard a person with an overwhelmingly positive reputation complain about the rep system. Not once to my knowledge.

Your "entire time" being merely 2 weeks.

You really are poopyhead, aren't you?

There's a search function. You can use that to discover how +ve repped people have criticised the system in bygone eras.

Erx and bemore spring to mind as people who have asked for their high +ve rep scores to be deleted.

Rolleyes

07-07-2017, 02:23 PM
(07-07-2017 02:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

There's a search function. You can use that to discover how +ve repped people have criticised the system in bygone eras.

Erx and bemore spring to mind as people who have asked for their high +ve rep scores to be deleted.

Rolleyes

I believe you are misquoting our esteemed new member who knows so much about mental masturbation, circle jerks and the like. Whiskeydebates was the one who said the sentence you quoted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-07-2017, 02:32 PM
(07-07-2017 02:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Rolleyes

I didn't post the statement "In my entire time being here..." which is why it was in a quote box. This post was not "TTA should do away with their reputation system". It was and is intended to point out the problem with reputation systems in general, and the argument from consensus in particular.

Also as I have said previously in this thread, this was a break off from a part of another post I made. Cut and pasted it from part of a response in another thread because it didn't belong there. While I could have pasted it to another thread that already existed the focus which I spend 3/4ths of the original post discussing is the problem with consensus. It is also the reason why this thread is not named "Reputation Systems". My problem with reputation systems is a subset of my problem with consensus overall.
07-07-2017, 02:33 PM
(07-07-2017 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 02:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Your "entire time" being merely 2 weeks.

Rolleyes

I believe you are misquoting our esteemed new member who knows so much about mental masturbation, circle jerks and the like. Whiskeydebates was the one who said the sentence you quoted.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction. Looks like I was quoting both.

In that case, WD is the poopyhead and "our esteemed new member" is continuing his trajectory of confusing the fuck outta me with his peculiar post construction.

In my defense, it's 4:30 in the morning.

Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post