Consensus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 03:49 PM
RE: Consensus
(07-07-2017 03:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
the rep comments received from some members I truly respected

Tense, noted.

Big Grin

Oh fuck off. Tongue

I was going to write about passed members that I respected...

Then as I thought about it, there's more than a few current members I do respect.

You used to be one of them. Laugh out load

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-07-2017, 03:56 PM
(07-07-2017 03:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've honestly thought about doing it too. The only thing that stops me, are the rep comments received from some members I truly respected and it feels wrong to remove them.

Literally the only Hug I've ever given anyone ever (online)... Blush

EDIT: for (online), obviously I've ACTUALLY hugged another human.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
07-07-2017, 03:59 PM
(07-07-2017 03:56 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've honestly thought about doing it too. The only thing that stops me, are the rep comments received from some members I truly respected and it feels wrong to remove them.

Literally the only Hug I've ever given anyone ever (online)... Blush

EDIT: for (online), obviously I've ACTUALLY hugged another human.

Awww Blush

I know what you mean.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-07-2017, 04:06 PM
(06-07-2017 05:04 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  I will lay out my objection to reputation system. For anyone who has seen Black Mirror season 3 you will know exactly where I am going with this. Rep systems are fundamentally flawed because they rely on the consensus and silent voices of dissent. Very quickly individuals can find themselves black listed for voicing opposing views. This leads to a snake eating it's own tail, with individuals being excommunicated for stepping outside the acceptable doctrine. I was ridiculed elsewhere on this forum for saying that I don't care what the consensus says. Not too long ago the consensus was that slavery was alright because the bible said so. There have been all kinds of things believed and done in the name of consensus. We (humans as a whole) like to look back on the past as if we are at the height of human existence, of course our ancestors were ignorant savages. Consider the arrogance of that belief. We learned language, art, music, fire, and so much more from our Neanderthal cousins. Who's to say they didn't have writing, lot can be lost in 250,000 years. All of this was ridiculed and mocked by the consensus because at one point the facts didn't fit the accepted narrative. Up until the last decade "scientists" were still pushing the idea that most mammals were monogamous, now we know less than 3%(perhaps, maybe, we really hope) are monogamous. I don't care about the consensus I care about the facts. Show me the raw data. Rep systems are bunk. Consensus is bunk. It's how you end up with an inbred ideology.

How sure am I of my own views? Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever you think your bound to be okay, because your in the safely moral majority."-- Christopher Hitchens

Stay Skeptical

*Thanks to Buckey Ball for the spell check. I'm dyslexic so I always appreciate the assit.

You spelled my name wrong.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-07-2017, 04:15 PM
(07-07-2017 04:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 05:04 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  I will lay out my objection to reputation system. For anyone who has seen Black Mirror season 3 you will know exactly where I am going with this. Rep systems are fundamentally flawed because they rely on the consensus and silent voices of dissent. Very quickly individuals can find themselves black listed for voicing opposing views. This leads to a snake eating it's own tail, with individuals being excommunicated for stepping outside the acceptable doctrine. I was ridiculed elsewhere on this forum for saying that I don't care what the consensus says. Not too long ago the consensus was that slavery was alright because the bible said so. There have been all kinds of things believed and done in the name of consensus. We (humans as a whole) like to look back on the past as if we are at the height of human existence, of course our ancestors were ignorant savages. Consider the arrogance of that belief. We learned language, art, music, fire, and so much more from our Neanderthal cousins. Who's to say they didn't have writing, lot can be lost in 250,000 years. All of this was ridiculed and mocked by the consensus because at one point the facts didn't fit the accepted narrative. Up until the last decade "scientists" were still pushing the idea that most mammals were monogamous, now we know less than 3%(perhaps, maybe, we really hope) are monogamous. I don't care about the consensus I care about the facts. Show me the raw data. Rep systems are bunk. Consensus is bunk. It's how you end up with an inbred ideology.

How sure am I of my own views? Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever you think your bound to be okay, because your in the safely moral majority."-- Christopher Hitchens

Stay Skeptical

*Thanks to Buckey Ball for the spell check. I'm dyslexic so I always appreciate the assit.

You spelled my name wrong.

Do you mean assit should be asset?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-07-2017, 05:25 PM
(07-07-2017 03:08 PM)BlkFnx Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 02:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  Therefore he is arguing on philosophical grounds that consensus is a Bad Idea ™.

I don't believe I said argued that consensus is a bad idea.

This is a diagram of me giving a shit about what exactly the fuck you said, you poor misunderstood troll:

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-07-2017, 05:35 PM
[Image: backpedaling34.jpg]

I love to watch people backpedal.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-07-2017, 06:00 PM
[Image: humptydumpty.gif]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
07-07-2017, 06:13 PM
The main problem with consensus systems is that they are subject to Byzantine failures. Fortunately, as long as the number of members is at least 3x the number of trolls, solutions are available. [ref]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Just a friendly forum announcement.

But if you want a Negative Rep Point, all you need to do is ask.

In fact, ask me. I'll just be over here, handing them out. Trust me, I will not run out.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post