Conservative groups, Dep. of Education and god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Conservative groups, Dep. of Education and god
We all know this is what conservatives want and Devos is such an idiot she'd gladly go along with this cause she wants god in the classroom too. Fucking shitheads.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu...778b0089e9

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: Conservative groups, Dep. of Education and god
Well this probably belongs in the Politics forum unless we want to discuss what fundamentalist Christians want. I don't know that they speak with one voice on this, but there is a large contingent of them that want religious schools to be publicly financed in some way, and who want religious-based home schooling fully accepted.

Ignoring their unholy alliance with the GOP and other political aspects of it, they want this because they (rightly in my view) see secular science-based education as an existential threat to their fact-free, unsubstantiated belief system. They are losing their young people in huge numbers to higher education and they believe (wrongly in my view) that doubling down on indoctrination at the primary and secondary levels will inoculate them and stanch this flow, at least until they can similarly undermine higher education.
15-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Is letting the individual states handle how they want to fund schools their way of getting around the church/state separation?

Does it mean that if the state doesn't require it, they won't have to equally fund religious and secular schools?

What happens in 18 years when US companies need to outsource even more jobs because our recent 'graduates' are too stupid to do the work?

It seems to me Trump doesn't really give a shit one way or another what happens to the DOE, but he'll back what the GOP wants in case he needs a back scratching later.

I'm asking these questions because I don't know if this is what's going on or not. Huh
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-02-2017, 01:20 PM
@pablo, I am given to understand that the DOE simply administers federal aid to schools. That aid, of course, comes with certain strings attached, like standards and best practices that must be adhered to.

Demonstrating the craven nature of DOE opponents, they want this aid without strings. They could, after all, simply decline the federal funds and self-finance whatever programs they want. But no ... they want the $$ and the ability to squander them as they see fit.

I am not sure what eliminating the DOE would do to federal funding. I presume "eliminate the DOE" must be code words for "just give schools money and go away". There will still have to be a bureaucracy to disburse the funds, and it might be called something else, but this has to really be about removing restrictions such as that ID or creationism can't be taught, or that evolution must be taught, or that explicitly or implicitly compulsory religious instruction is not to be dispensed in public schools (or schools of any kind that receive federal funds).

I haven't really looked at the detailed GOP agenda on this but I have to assume it is along these lines. Anyone know for a fact?
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
15-02-2017, 01:46 PM
(15-02-2017 01:20 PM)mordant Wrote:  @pablo, I am given to understand that the DOE simply administers federal aid to schools. That aid, of course, comes with certain strings attached, like standards and best practices that must be adhered to.

Demonstrating the craven nature of DOE opponents, they want this aid without strings. They could, after all, simply decline the federal funds and self-finance whatever programs they want. But no ... they want the $$ and the ability to squander them as they see fit.

I am not sure what eliminating the DOE would do to federal funding. I presume "eliminate the DOE" must be code words for "just give schools money and go away". There will still have to be a bureaucracy to disburse the funds, and it might be called something else, but this has to really be about removing restrictions such as that ID or creationism can't be taught, or that evolution must be taught, or that explicitly or implicitly compulsory religious instruction is not to be dispensed in public schools (or schools of any kind that receive federal funds).

I haven't really looked at the detailed GOP agenda on this but I have to assume it is along these lines. Anyone know for a fact?

Considering how the religious right are particularly sneaky and underhanded when it comes to trying to get prayer/the bible/ID into public schools, I'm inclined to believe that they're trying to do it again.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-02-2017, 02:15 PM
The linked article is—to put it mildly—disturbing. Putting god "back into schools" is like pushing our kid's educational standards back 100 years FFS.

Interestingly, the Australian federal government puts taxpayer funds into private, mostly religion-based schools here—much to the chagrin of our largely secular population. And of course, this means less available funding for our state-funded public school system.

Education funding in Australia is spread between the federal and the state governments, and has been for as long as I can remember.

I just can't believe that supposedly enlightened, 21st-century American citizens are still so fucking god orientated. Why does religion insinuate itself so broadly into the US government? Whatever happened to the absolute separation of church and state in the first world. And what's with all this "in god we trust" bullshit I see everywhere in the US? Seriously?

DeVos is also a member of the board of the Foundation for Excellence in Education whose stated goal is to "build an American education system that equips every child to achieve his or her God-given potential".

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Oh good. So they want to teach Allah in schools.
Oh wait, they want to fucking establish the Judeo-Christian god ...
It's unconstitutional.

These people may tell themselves they are "conservative", they are frauds.
A real conservative would want the Constitution upheld.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2017, 02:25 PM
(15-02-2017 02:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Oh good. So they want to teach Allah in schools.
Oh wait, they want to fucking establish the Judeo-Christian god ...
It's unconstitutional.

These people may tell themselves they are "conservative", they are frauds.
A real conservative would want the Constitution upheld.

It's never ending. They cry oppression when they have to stop doing something that is blatantly unconstitutional, then go back to the drawing board to come up with a new scheme to try to sneak it in again.
They do the same thing with abortion rights, they can't get it overturned (yet) so they make it damned near impossible to get one by obstructing women who want to get one.
15-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Yup. If they really cared about freedom of religion they'd want that same freedom for everyone, no matter the faith or disbelief. They're a bunch of self-serving, narrow minded hypocrites who pass judgement on anyone that disagrees with them. They're the total opposite of what a Christian is supposed to be. Jerks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Bucky Ball Wrote:A real conservative would want the Constitution upheld.
I agree with you.
So, I have questions:
do you know what exactly they propose to do? how do they want to bring God in schools?
how do you personally understand separation of church and state?
please, with some examples

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED