Conservatives and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Conservatives and atheism
Now a quick disclaimer, im not that well informed on Conservatives or Republicans
but from what iv'e seen (interviews, news, debates, etc.)
I've noticed that most of their policy is based on the bible or "christian values"
Opposing gay marriage, abortion, legalization of drugs, etc.

I've also noticed that liberal and Libertarian views are more secular

what would conservatives and their policies be like if they're atheists
im hoping someone here whos a conservative atheist elaborate on that
or someone can link me to some interview with an atheist conservative/republican.

Also why do politicians have to have a blanket term that covers all of their
views, im sure i can disagree with liberals on some shit and i can disagree
with conservatives on some other shit, why cant politicians be assessed by
the merits of their views and arguments?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2012, 07:52 AM
RE: Conservatives and atheism
Because America's political system is about as corrupt and broken as you can get. It's pure foolishness.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
17-01-2012, 08:54 AM
It's not surprising that the American political system is corrupt and evil; what is surprising is that despite how evil and corrupt it is, it still works...

A paraphrase from a pundit of the past. It's not evil; it is corruption in action, and that action is greed. Politics is all about matching agendas. If you do not have an agenda, there ain't no understanding; someone else might be able to explain it to you in terms of their agenda. Wink

Conservative atheist? I don't think that platform has been built.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I used to be a Republican. As an example I'll explain my previous position on gay marriage.

I used to be against gay marriage because I thought that no ones rights were being violated. The law didn't discriminate because both straight and gay men could still marry the opposite sex while not marrying the same sex. Law applied equally to both. I've since revised my opinion. You are looking more at social conservative values though. Being a conservative or Republican is as much, if not more to do with economics as it is social.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-01-2012, 02:51 PM
The term conservative is broadly applied to many on the right (that is the Republicans). It's actually a smaller subset of Republicans- it would be inaccurate to say all Republicans are conservative. There are a couple of different flavors of conservatism- social conservatism and economic conservatism. They can be separated. An economic conservative favors a small government in terms of regulation and taxes where the private sector can flourish with little inhibition by the government. A social conservative favors social regulation- the "family values" crowd. The social conservatives are the ones that opposes gay marriage, abortion, etc. So when you hear "conservative" it sort of carries a dual meaning.

Both meanings reflect back to a time when there was little government intervention in the marketplace and traditional values ruled- like the 1950's. You CAN have one without the other (but I disagree with both), but they are often grouped into the same crowd and sometimes they are the same crowd.

Any conservatives out there feel free to correct anywhere that I'm wrong on this...
17-01-2012, 03:04 PM
(17-01-2012 02:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  The term conservative is broadly applied to many on the right (that is the Republicans). It's actually a smaller subset of Republicans- it would be inaccurate to say all Republicans are conservative. There are a couple of different flavors of conservatism- social conservatism and economic conservatism. They can be separated. An economic conservative favors a small government in terms of regulation and taxes where the private sector can flourish with little inhibition by the government. A social conservative favors social regulation- the "family values" crowd. The social conservatives are the ones that opposes gay marriage, abortion, etc. So when you hear "conservative" it sort of carries a dual meaning.

Both meanings reflect back to a time when there was little government intervention in the marketplace and traditional values ruled- like the 1950's. You CAN have one without the other (but I disagree with both), but they are often grouped into the same crowd and sometimes they are the same crowd.

Any conservatives out there feel free to correct anywhere that I'm wrong on this...

You're pretty spot on but I disagree with you disagreeing with economic conservatism. And I don't mean Bush economic conservatism.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-01-2012, 03:31 PM
(17-01-2012 03:04 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 02:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  The term conservative is broadly applied to many on the right (that is the Republicans). It's actually a smaller subset of Republicans- it would be inaccurate to say all Republicans are conservative. There are a couple of different flavors of conservatism- social conservatism and economic conservatism. They can be separated. An economic conservative favors a small government in terms of regulation and taxes where the private sector can flourish with little inhibition by the government. A social conservative favors social regulation- the "family values" crowd. The social conservatives are the ones that opposes gay marriage, abortion, etc. So when you hear "conservative" it sort of carries a dual meaning.

You're pretty spot on but I disagree with you disagreeing with economic conservatism. And I don't mean Bush economic conservatism.

Yeah well, you keep changing your avatar, so you're argument is invalid. Big Grin
17-01-2012, 03:47 PM
(17-01-2012 03:31 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 03:04 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Yeah well, you keep changing your avatar, so you're argument is invalid. Big Grin

LOL. I used a pic of Nikola Tesla but then was overwhelmed with a sense of purpose in life. That my missions was to spread the word of Rooney.

-Mark Twain
17-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I used to be a "conservative" as a Christian but I realize now that we need to just give up that term and move on.

These "conservatives" don't care about fiscal responsibility, protection of our charter or rights and freedoms, getting rid of overly bureaucratic waste in government or conserving the environment for future generations."

To me the things I listed above used to be the values of "conservatism" that made total sense to me and that you never saw in the Liberal end of politics. They are some of the core things great about the conservative ideology.

Now that name has been taken up by bible humping idiots who don't respect the environment (Jesus is coming soon anyway), the charter, etc." They often inflate government and have about as conservative a budget as a kid in a candy store.

It drives me mad that we can't open our eyes a bit and get more in line with European secular conservatives.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
17-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I have found conservatism as a oxymoron when you apply it to Atheist. The two don't fit in the same mold in America. I cant say that for other country's like the UK. If you even talk about God in the UK your done as a politician. They would think you were some sort of nut case.