23-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Conservatives rewrite History for Texan Children
http://www.american-reporter.com/4,446W/441.html
http://www.change.org/petitions/dont-let...te-history
On Native Ground
TEXAS TWISTERS:
CONSERVATIVES REWRITE HISTORY FOR ITS SCHOOLCHILDREN

by Randolph T. Holhut
"By a 9-5 vote along party line, the conservative majority on the (Texas Board of Education) adopted a
set of social studies curriculum standards for Texas students that by any objective standard constitute educational malpractice. "
Two references on topic just came up on my facebook. I have two kids in the Texas Public School system! If anyone has suggestions on what I can do about this I'd very much appreciate it. I'm also looking for other articles of information.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: Conservatives rewrite History for Texan Children
I'm at a loss for words. I shouldn't be though. It wasn't that long ago that schools where I live were teaching that Robert E. Lee won the war for the South.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I've always been curious. Do these people think that they are fooling anyone? Or that no one is watching?

It is nearly impossible for me to believe that they think what they do is honest.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2012, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 04:29 AM by Filox.)
Oh, what kind of HELL would I do to those teachers, using my own kids... I would let them teach whatever they want, then I would tell the real history to my children (or child, whatever). Then my kid would go to school and flunk the test, because he/she would write what his/hers father has told. Then the father (me) would come to school and start explaining the REAL history to that teacher. This is the part where me and my lawyer would be quite gentle with all the lawsuits and Constitution quotes, because the poor republicans do not understand all those big words that sound good, but mean nothing (to them)...

They would change the BS so fast, sooner than they can say "joint lawsuit".

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-04-2012, 04:48 PM
http://austinist.com/2012/04/24/don_mcle...d_of_e.php
Colbert to my rescue last night. Awesome timing.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
24-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Some of these Texas school board people wanted Thomas Jefferson downplayed because he wasn't Christian enough. Some of them seem quite comfortable being dishonest and trying to sneak this stuff by. I do think that some of them are just completely deluded and either really believe this stuff or are "saving" others from being led astray. I really hope that as text books become more digital that the sway Texas used to have gets diminished even more as publishers can have 2 versions, real and crazy. I hate having to say that as innocent children will pay the price for this ignorance as will the country.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
25-04-2012, 07:41 PM
(23-04-2012 05:32 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm at a loss for words. I shouldn't be though. It wasn't that long ago that schools where I live were teaching that Robert E. Lee won the war for the South.
Noway, I call BS!

(24-04-2012 04:25 AM)Filox Wrote:  Oh, what kind of HELL would I do to those teachers, using my own kids... I would let them teach whatever they want, then I would tell the real history to my children (or child, whatever). Then my kid would go to school and flunk the test, because he/she would write what his/hers father has told. Then the father (me) would come to school and start explaining the REAL history to that teacher. This is the part where me and my lawyer would be quite gentle with all the lawsuits and Constitution quotes, because the poor republicans do not understand all those big words that sound good, but mean nothing (to them)...

They would change the BS so fast, sooner than they can say "joint lawsuit".

Smile
What would you sue them for?
I know they are giving your kid a shitty history education, but is that really grounds for a lawsuit?