Considering Religious/National Sovereignty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Considering Religious/National Sovereignty
Imagine the heads of all the involved religious depts., the town council of Chartres and the French government, after several months of meetings, have agreed on a plan to bulldoze Chartres Cathedral and put up a Wal-Mart and parking lot where it stood.

Leave alone the reasons why (I can think of many that make this plausible).

The question is, should this action be physically prevented, and why.

My own position is a resounding hell yes it should be prevented. With tanks, if diplomatic measures fail.

I regard artifacts of man beyond a certain age and degree of artistic quality and degree of cultural significance to transcend local interests such as national sovereignty or private property rights, to have become, so to speak, the property of mankind at large, and no longer subject to the transient whim of whomever happens to hold title at some moment of time. As undisputed icons of history, the whole of mankind should have a say in their disposition. With the default stance of preservation until such time as mankind finally does, as a body, vote thumbs down and build its desperately needed Wal-Mart.

There is of course no mechanism at all for this, so the Aswan Dam got built, and the Taliban dynamited ancient sculptures, because we give priority to national sovereignty and private property OF THE MOMENT, with no regard whatsoever to either mankind or succeeding generations. But I'd welcome something like that emerging, out of the UN, maybe, or some other international organization.

But that's my stance.

Your views may differ.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
22-06-2014, 01:35 PM
RE: Considering Religious/National Sovereignty
Are you thinking about something like a world historic register?
Maybe making significant historical structures and monuments sovereign, apart from the nation they're located in?
I like the idea but, I think it would be difficult at best to get everyone to agree to it.
Not to mention enforcing any violations of that agreement. IMHO
22-06-2014, 02:29 PM
It's a great discussion topic and good thought experiment so I don't mean to piss on your parade ...

... but ...

See this list; go to "France" and behold... the first on the list is?

Your prayers have been answered.

Thumbsup

22-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks DLJ! I had no idea such a registry existed. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks such a thing is a worthy project.

While not exhaustive, I made a check and did not see a single Wal-Mart in the registry.

But there's no predicting what the future will think is valuable. I think surviving WWII Quonset Huts are protected in the US as historic and can't be summarily discarded - another example of something designed specifically to be disposable being deemed indispensable.
22-06-2014, 11:24 PM
I actually had something like this happen today with non-physical historic artifacts.

My brother apparently thinks there will be riots if we change the US national anthem.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-06-2014, 11:41 PM
(22-06-2014 11:24 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I actually had something like this happen today with non-physical historic artifacts.

My brother apparently thinks there will be riots if we change the US national anthem.

I'm guessing he's thinking about that little line in the forth verse?
And this be our motto: " In God is our trust."
22-06-2014, 11:46 PM
(22-06-2014 11:41 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 11:24 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I actually had something like this happen today with non-physical historic artifacts.

I'm guessing he's thinking about that little line in the forth verse?
And this be our motto: " In God is our trust."

No, since it's most popular to sing the first verse only, he has never heard the other verses until today, He just said there would be riots.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
23-06-2014, 12:26 AM
(22-06-2014 02:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's a great discussion topic and good thought experiment so I don't mean to piss on your parade ...

... but ...

See this list; go to "France" and behold... the first on the list is?

Your prayers have been answered.

Thumbsup

Yes, this.

UNESCO's World heritage sites number just over 1,0000 world wide, including human structures as well as natural formations such as the Grand Canyon and forests like California's redwood forest. I've been to several of the UNESCO World heritage sites in the States and always enjoyed seeing people from all over the world sharing the experience. That these sites belong to all of us is an awesome feeling, especially when visiting them.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles