Considering becoming a model builder again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 08:19 PM by Banjo.)
RE: Considering becoming a model builder again.
(26-06-2016 10:52 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Unopened boxes from the 90s may well fetch you more ducats.

Only one model is in its box. A 1:32 scale Mig 19. I had so many I had to chuck the boxes and placed everything in three large plastic storage containers.

I have only just begun to look through what I have and the collection is astounding. I've not even been a 1/4 through it.

I have decided to take Dessee's advice and begin with a simple kit of a Vought Corsair F4U-IA. The only addition to it will be 1:48 US WWII photo etched seat belts. So pretty easy. To be different, I am placing it in RNZAF colours. And just purchased this sheet off the net.

[Image: VA4897_zpsbl9ycs0r.jpg]

Their Corsairs weathered heavily, so it will give me practice doing that as well. Paint fading, scratches and oil and grime. Hopefully my hands will be able to control the various instruments I have purchased. My writing today was pathetic.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
27-06-2016, 01:26 AM
(26-06-2016 07:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 10:52 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Unopened boxes from the 90s may well fetch you more ducats.

Only one model is in its box. A 1:32 scale Mig 19. I had so many I had to chuck the boxes and placed everything in three large plastic storage containers.

I have only just begun to look through what I have and the collection is astounding. I've not even been a 1/4 through it.

I have decided to take Dessee's advice and begin with a simple kit of a Vought Corsair F4U-IA. The only addition to it will be 1:48 US WWII photo etched seat belts. So pretty easy. To be different, I am placing it in RNZAF colours. And just purchased this sheet off the net.

[Image: VA4897_zpsbl9ycs0r.jpg]

Their Corsairs weathered heavily, so it will give me practice doing that as well. Paint fading, scratches and oil and grime. Hopefully my hands will be able to control the various instruments I have purchased. My writing today was pathetic.

I havent dared (yet) to touch the "weathering issue". Until now i was far to scared to risk an airbrush desaster. Please let me know about your experience. I surely can need a few good tips.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
27-06-2016, 02:52 AM
(27-06-2016 01:26 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I havent dared (yet) to touch the "weathering issue". Until now i was far to scared to risk an airbrush desaster. Please let me know about your experience. I surely can need a few good tips.

Weathering is fun. I used a collection of artist pastels, oil paint wash, artist pencils etc. For example the unfinished Japanese George aeroplane had metal showing there the pilot and crew had stepped on the wing root. That was achieved with a silver artist pencil.

Actually, here it is again. Other weathering, such as exhaust was either pastel, airbrush of pencils.

[Image: 20160626_141221_zps7njzkhac.jpg]

[Image: 20160626_141208_zpsbdv9fm6a.jpg]

On the first page you can see the other aircraft where I would first paint the metal areas metal, fabric areas fabric, then pun on undercoat, such as the tail of the P40, and have the camo fade and expose that undercoat slightly. It is a slight tinge of red. You can also see circles where the original English roundels were over painted and the Chinese markings added.

Weathering is my favourite part. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-06-2016, 07:36 PM
(27-06-2016 01:26 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I havent dared (yet) to touch the "weathering issue". Until now i was far to scared to risk an airbrush desaster. Please let me know about your experience. I surely can need a few good tips.

Desse, you must check this out.

Banjo.
29-06-2016, 03:03 AM
Those old, weathered planes are absolutely beautiful!
Inspiring me to get some drawing done myself actually.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
29-06-2016, 04:49 AM
Planes are good and all but trains are better. Tongue

[Image: Model-Train-05.jpg]

And ships are better yet.
Every kind of ship, commercial, military, historical, new.

[Image: Altair01.jpg]

[Image: 3040.jpg]

You should turn your garage into a big model train set and have a massive to scale (with the train set) Maersk Triple E class container ship docked up at a dock with trains dropping off and picking up containers from the dock.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
15-07-2016, 12:49 AM
I have both the carrier USS Enterprise and the HMS Hood in my stash. I must wait to get my fingers working properly before building those.
Thanks. Smile

Banjo.
15-07-2016, 01:32 AM
(29-06-2016 04:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Planes are good and all but trains are better. Tongue

[Image: Model-Train-05.jpg]

That train is awesome! I loved those as a little girl! The local train station had a big model landscape with a model train driving around it (when money was inserted). I was mesmerized!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
15-07-2016, 01:35 AM
(15-07-2016 12:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I have both the carrier USS Enterprise and the HMS Hood in my stash. I must wait to get my fingers working properly before building those.
Thanks. Smile

I still vote for dinosaur. Planes and boats and stuff are awesome, but dinosaurs rock! Just imagine how a dinosaur would rock along exhibited by your drums! Big Grin
Either way, I want to see pictures when you get started! I am still in awe of the level of detail on your beautiful planes!

15-07-2016, 05:45 AM
(15-07-2016 01:35 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 12:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I have both the carrier USS Enterprise and the HMS Hood in my stash. I must wait to get my fingers working properly before building those.
Thanks. Smile

I still vote for dinosaur. Planes and boats and stuff are awesome, but dinosaurs rock! Just imagine how a dinosaur would rock along exhibited by your drums! Big Grin
Either way, I want to see pictures when you get started! I am still in awe of the level of detail on your beautiful planes!

I have a fully made triceratops that has yet to be painted in my stash.

Banjo.