Console gamers: Tired of paying so much for games?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Console gamers: Tired of paying so much for games?
(20-02-2013 06:59 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I can think of 2 other options:

* GameFly is like Netflix through the mail for games. $x/month lets you rent one game at a time and keep it as long as you need to. I believe you can also pay a bit more to rent more than 1 game at a time. I've also heard of friends sharing such an account to reduce the overall cost.

* Why not just buy the used games from GameStop? If you can finish the game within the right time frame you can return it for another used game of equal or lesser value (or pay the difference). Or did GameStop stop this practice? I haven't tried this in a while to be honest.
Gamestop regularly gives upwards of $2, $3, or $4 per game if it's older than 3 months. I sold Assassins Creed for the equivalent of $15 despite it's age. As far as GameFly goes, it can be too expensive for some. Whereas with the 99gamers community, you can even haggle your prices over certain games, and out of nearly 20 transactions already, I've never had a problem.

[Image: SmwyCix.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Console gamers: Tired of paying so much for games?
(21-02-2013 09:05 AM)PrometheusDarko Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 06:59 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I can think of 2 other options:

* GameFly is like Netflix through the mail for games. $x/month lets you rent one game at a time and keep it as long as you need to. I believe you can also pay a bit more to rent more than 1 game at a time. I've also heard of friends sharing such an account to reduce the overall cost.

* Why not just buy the used games from GameStop? If you can finish the game within the right time frame you can return it for another used game of equal or lesser value (or pay the difference). Or did GameStop stop this practice? I haven't tried this in a while to be honest.
Gamestop regularly gives upwards of $2, $3, or $4 per game if it's older than 3 months. I sold Assassins Creed for the equivalent of $15 despite it's age. As far as GameFly goes, it can be too expensive for some. Whereas with the 99gamers community, you can even haggle your prices over certain games, and out of nearly 20 transactions already, I've never had a problem.

That's if you sell your game to GameStop. I'm talking about an exchange for another used game. You buy one used game, play it solid and hopefully finish within the time limit (30 days if memory serves) and then bring it back and exchange it for another used game. If the next game is the same price it's an even exchange. It's effectively a return and new purchase.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I tend to keep pretty well informed, and -try- to only buy games I plan on keeping. That way it doesnt feel like a waste of money. Obviously shit games slip through the cracks sometimes (Sabatour, ugh) or I have games I'm always on the fence about (Mass effect 3. Great game TERRIBLE ENDING why do I want to keep this....)

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 12:45 AM
(24-02-2013 10:58 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I tend to keep pretty well informed, and -try- to only buy games I plan on keeping. That way it doesnt feel like a waste of money. Obviously shit games slip through the cracks sometimes (Sabatour, ugh) or I have games I'm always on the fence about (Mass effect 3. Great game TERRIBLE ENDING why do I want to keep this....)
That can only do you so much good for so long. Honestly, I didn't pay a penny for Assassin's Creed 3 (well, technically, I paid $6 if you want to count the shipping costs for the games I sold that I don't play anymore). It's definitely not the perfect solution for everyone, but it is a damn good solution.

[Image: SmwyCix.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggest Puzzle games JaniceGalindo 9 126 30-06-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: Roger_the_alien
  Difficult Games That Made You Scream! Elskidor 80 842 15-06-2014 12:12 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help? undergroundp 42 951 10-06-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Suggest some games to try. Sam 55 580 08-06-2014 05:35 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
Wink Honest Trailers: Now Doing Games EvolutionKills 2 91 11-05-2014 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Nostalgic Video games. Metazoa Zeke 42 413 08-04-2014 11:54 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Best DLC`s and Expantion Packs for Games The Germans are coming 20 654 03-02-2014 01:34 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills