Conspiracy Theories.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 08:44 PM
RE: Conspiracy Theories.
Of course.

However, it has become a knee-jerk reaction to any suspicion against the powers-that-be -- it is automatically dismissed with a sneer as "only a Conspiracy Theory".

There was no evidence against Nixon for quite a while during Watergate -- some people who suspected something was not quite right (based on intuition, knowledge of History and the characters involved) were instantly dismissed as conspiracy-theorists.

That is what we have to watch out for: automatic reactions (probably manufactured by evildoers! Evil_monster ).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
My favourite: Conspiracies to delegitimize real conspiracies by promoting fake conspiracies.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM
That's true: In 1973 after the Watergate break-in, Martha Mitchell began contacting reporters when her husband's role in the scandal became known, which earned her the title, "the Mouth of the South." Nixon was later to tell interviewer David Frost in 1977 that Martha was a distraction to John Mitchell, such that no one was minding the store, and "If it hadn't been for Martha Mitchell, there'd have been no Watergate."
At one point, she insisted she had been held against her will in a California hotel room and sedated to prevent her from making controversial phone calls to the news media. Because of her allegations, she was discredited and even abandoned by most of her family, except her son Jay. Nixon aides even leaked to the press that she had a “drinking problem”. The "Martha Mitchell effect", in which a psychiatrist mistakenly identifies a patient's extraordinary claims as delusions, despite their veracity, was later named after her.
Martha Mitchell died three years later in 1976 after much of her Watergate notoriety had become barely a side issue.

Eventually, I think the truth gets sorted out with most "conspiracies" once it gets some steam behind it. It can take a while, though.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
10-02-2013, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 09:22 PM by Zat.)
Temptation to conspire is deeply ingrained in the human psyche.

From covering up a screw-up by a petty bureaucrat, to CEOs of corporations, presidents of nations, military leaders, they all want to cover their asses and/or gain some advantage and it is the most natural thing to do.

History is full of them.

Popular culture is full of them.

We all know that people, especially people with power and wealth want to have their way and they don't want the rest of us to know how they did it.

One way to evaluate a suspicion is to examine who benefited from the event in question.

Who got richer from the economic collapse and unprecedented bailout that followed? Maybe it was not just an accident that "nobody could predict". In the "Untouchables" movie, the accountant who brought Al Capone down advised the investigator: "follow the money". So did Deep Throat during Watergate.

If you read Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" you will see how the media participates.

If you read the "Towers of Deception" by Barrie Zwicker, you may not be convinced that 9/11 was "manufactured" but there are an aweful lot of unanswered questions raised (and summarily dismissed as "Conspiracy Theory").

Don't let your imagination run away with you but look for pattern, inconsistency, contradiction, see who benefited and who sounds too vehement in denial.

But most of all: don't automatically dismiss anything just because someone stuck the label "conspiracy theory" on it.
[+] 4 users Like Zat's post
18-03-2013, 09:58 AM
It's true that people conspire to do things. It's even true that people conspire to do major things that effect counties, states, nations or even the world. But the bigger the conspiracy, the larger the number of people required to keep it afloat. Big time conspiracies are big time hard to manage. If I attempted to conspire to get someone fired at work because I don't like them, I would expect to get busted! How hard would it be to conspire to murder J.F.K. and have nobody "snitch"??? You kidding! I'd be on all the talk shows the next day and negoticiating a book deal!
19-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Conspiracy Theories.
(18-03-2013 09:58 AM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  It's true that people conspire to do things. It's even true that people conspire to do major things that effect counties, states, nations or even the world. But the bigger the conspiracy, the larger the number of people required to keep it afloat. Big time conspiracies are big time hard to manage. If I attempted to conspire to get someone fired at work because I don't like them, I would expect to get busted! How hard would it be to conspire to murder J.F.K. and have nobody "snitch"??? You kidding! I'd be on all the talk shows the next day and negoticiating a book deal!

So according to you the building of the atomic bomb during ww2 was a nut job conspiracy theory? Your logic is simple minded. The building of the atomic bomb employed thousands of people yet it remained a secret until after it was detonated and much of this operation is still classified. According to your logic that it is impossible for many people to be involved in a conspiracy is not historically accurate.

It isn't hard to do, you compartmentalize jobs and info to a need to know basis, the person welding the piece of metal doesn't know what it is for, the students working on mathematics don't know what these formulas will be used for etc etc. the idea that it can't happen isn't historically accurate.
29-03-2013, 12:01 PM
You make an interesting point here and I thank you for it! But I'm not sure that nobody knew that this was happening. Tests were done prior to the detonation of the bomb at Hiroshima and I doubt that those went entirely unoticed by people who were not conspirators. I admit that I am not an expert on the history of the atomic bomb. But I suspect that this was an arms race situation and the technology was perfected in the U.S.A. first. The fact that some other contry did not develope the technology first, does not prove that they were not aware that it was being developed. Portions of that technology may have been leaked while others were not. Still, it's a very good point!