Conspiracy nuts linked to Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2013, 08:34 PM
So I was bored the other day and watched through some vids on conspiracy nuts like Icke and others. I have to admit I wasn't able to watch any of them from start to end, but what I've picked up so far was that the whole construct about NWO and other shit has links to religion, or rather the christian bible kinda boosted with some Sci-Fi. I laughed hard when I heard somewhere that some aliens wrote the bible, but actually it's not funny. It would be an insult to the aliens' intelligence, otherwise they better stay hidden than ever admit to come up with this piece of crap. So whatever the agenda is, I kinda do not get why it's linked to religion in the first place.

I know at least a few facts, one is that the mason folks and the illuminati dudes were kinda opposed to the christian doctrine (but they were still deists, right?), which the church wasn't too happy about. Maybe that's why they'd demonize both.

However, while you think that religion is bullshit, conspiracy tops it and seems to be as harmful (if not more). So what are your insights on this?

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2013, 01:45 PM
RE: Conspiracy nuts linked to Religion?
(17-03-2013 08:34 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  So I was bored the other day and watched through some vids on conspiracy nuts like Icke and others. I have to admit I wasn't able to watch any of them from start to end, but what I've picked up so far was that the whole construct about NWO and other shit has links to religion, or rather the christian bible kinda boosted with some Sci-Fi. I laughed hard when I heard somewhere that some aliens wrote the bible, but actually it's not funny. It would be an insult to the aliens' intelligence, otherwise they better stay hidden than ever admit to come up with this piece of crap. So whatever the agenda is, I kinda do not get why it's linked to religion in the first place.

I know at least a few facts, one is that the mason folks and the illuminati dudes were kinda opposed to the christian doctrine (but they were still deists, right?), which the church wasn't too happy about. Maybe that's why they'd demonize both.

However, while you think that religion is bullshit, conspiracy tops it and seems to be as harmful (if not more). So what are your insights on this?

I used to think that conspiracy nuts were not harmful, just crazy or misinformed people until I read about HIV denialism and it's consequences:
Quote:In 2000, South Africa's President Thabo Mbeki invited several HIV/AIDS denialists to join his Presidential AIDS Advisory Panel.
The then health minister, Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, advocated a diet of garlic, olive oil and lemon to "cure" the disease.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
18-03-2013, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2013 02:02 PM by Chas.)
I don't know about linkage, but it seems to me that religious belief and conspiracy belief have a lot in common as ways of seeing the world.

Both involve easy or palatable answers, in-group vs. out-group thinking, and possession of secret or special knowledge.

They are ways of denying reality.

You don't like the idea that you're an ape? No, I'm special - God made me.

You don't want to feel afraid of religion? No, the government brought down the World Trade Center.

You can't conceive of deep time? No, the world is 6000 years old.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-03-2013, 03:29 AM
What Chas said.

In my travels, I've found that nearly all individuals who spout about Illuminati and 9/11 "truth" (in my limited experience) have, at some point in the ensuing argument, revealed themselves to adhere to some form of religious belief system. Or, at least, such is the case much of the time. I suppose that's to be expected - deluded minds don't tend to discriminate.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
19-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I think the two are easily inter-changable. As many conspiracy folk hold to their ideas almost like a personal religion.
Find all posts by this user
19-03-2013, 05:29 PM
What is a conspiracy nut? If you were sitting by David Icke and another dude that was talking about the u.s. past attempts to assassinate Castro for example, are you the type to lump them in the same category?
20-03-2013, 10:22 AM
(19-03-2013 05:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  What is a conspiracy nut? If you were sitting by David Icke and another dude that was talking about the u.s. past attempts to assassinate Castro for example, are you the type to lump them in the same category?
#Fail.

If you were sitting by Dawkins and another dude talking about god for example, are you the type to lump them as christians/believers?

(edit)
It doesn't matter what David Icke says. He IS a conspiracy nut.
I might even say he's plain stupid with his "hidden reptilian agenda" tales and that crap.
(/edit)

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
20-03-2013, 11:36 AM
(20-03-2013 10:22 AM)KVron Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 05:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  What is a conspiracy nut? If you were sitting by David Icke and another dude that was talking about the u.s. past attempts to assassinate Castro for example, are you the type to lump them in the same category?
#Fail.

If you were sitting by Dawkins and another dude talking about god for example, are you the type to lump them as christians/believers?

(edit)
I might even say he's plain stupid with his "hidden reptilian agenda" tales and that crap.
(/edit)

You failed to understand the question. If you were sitting by 2 dudes ( that would be more than one) and one of them was David Icke and the other guy (the other guy meaning not David Icke) starts to talk about past CIA attempts to kill Castro. According to you guys are these two guys lumped together? If yes then one has to admit that the term conspiracy nut is a term used to support the state and to not take seriously any criticisms of the state (self censorship).
20-03-2013, 11:46 AM
(20-03-2013 11:36 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 10:22 AM)KVron Wrote:  #Fail.

(edit)
(/edit)

You failed to understand the question. If you were sitting by 2 dudes ( that would be more than one) and one of them was David Icke and the other guy (the other guy meaning not David Icke) starts to talk about past CIA attempts to kill Castro. According to you guys are these two guys lumped together? If yes then one has to admit that the term conspiracy nut is a term used to support the state and to not take seriously any criticisms of the state (self censorship).
The answer is no, because the CIA DID try to assassinate Castro (multiple times).
There are no shapeshifting-reptillian humanoids.

What other preconceived notions about us would you like to bring to the table?

[Image: giphy.gif]
20-03-2013, 03:58 PM
(20-03-2013 11:46 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 11:36 AM)I and I Wrote:  You failed to understand the question. If you were sitting by 2 dudes ( that would be more than one) and one of them was David Icke and the other guy (the other guy meaning not David Icke) starts to talk about past CIA attempts to kill Castro. According to you guys are these two guys lumped together? If yes then one has to admit that the term conspiracy nut is a term used to support the state and to not take seriously any criticisms of the state (self censorship).
The answer is no, because the CIA DID try to assassinate Castro (multiple times).
There are no shapeshifting-reptillian humanoids.

What other preconceived notions about us would you like to bring to the table?

It wasn't common knowledge of the numerous times the u.s. times the CIA attempted to assassinate Castro, meaning at one point, like in the 60's what is common knowledge today due to declassified papers we know now that this was true. A person in the 60's would have been labeled a conspiracy nut, because that label is used to discredit people exposing the government and one of them is to lump them with people like David Icke.