Constitutionalist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Constitutionalist
I would consider myself a Constitutionalist. I believe that if we say we have a document to govern our country we should follow it to the letter, else amend it via appropriate majority.

Both my fiscal and social views would place me very staunchly to the right of the political spectrum, but I do not consider myself a Republican.

I would list Ron Paul and Peter Schiff as those with whom I identify the most.
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 04:05 PM

RE: Constitutionalist
Just curious, do you think there is a relationship between religious belief and political opinion? I find atheists tend to be much more liberal, while the more religious you are, the more conservative you tend to be (or the better way to put it would be conservatives are mostly very religious).
31-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I consider myself a Constitutionalist as well, actually. As for the rest of my political views, my political compass places me dead-center on the liberal-conservative axis, with a heavy bias towards libertarianism rather than authoritarianism.

[Image: pcgraphpng.php?ec=-0.62&soc=-4.77]

You guys can take this test as well. It can be found here.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 04:44 PM
In my country I have been laughed at for quoting from my constitution.

People are in the general agreement that it was written almost 1000 years ago and that makes it worthless.

Also that test said I'm a liberal communist... yay!! O.O Actually I'm a just a little right of Gandhi Big Grin

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
31-08-2010, 05:12 PM
(31-08-2010 04:44 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Actually I'm a just a little right of Gandhi Big Grin

Speaking of that...

[Image: axeswithnames.gif]

[Image: internationalchart.gif]

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
31-08-2010, 06:26 PM

[Image: pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.72]

I wish there was an option of "I am indifferent" to certain issues. Then again, that would make the grading harder.
31-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm a commie it seems, no problems there Smile

[Image: pcgraphpngphpu.png]

I can certainly see my affinity for social programs comes from being a Canadian what with our health care and whatnot... I've always been a supporter of the under privileged and the welfare state so long as it is regulated and seen to that receivers of such support are actively making an effort to supplant government support with their own money.

Although I always fancied myself a centralist, who knows where I fit, maybe the graph is right Tongue

31-08-2010, 07:01 PM
'Tis true. I also had a lot of questions that I felt ambiguous on.

31-08-2010, 08:45 PM
(31-08-2010 04:01 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  I would consider myself a Constitutionalist. I believe that if we say we have a document to govern our country we should follow it to the letter, else amend it via appropriate majority.

I think the difficulty here is that the Constitution is fairly vague on almost everything. I've read the document in detail and studied the jurisprudence of it while in law school and it is specific on very few things. So, saying we should "follow it to the letter" is almost meaningless.

For example, the Constitution sets forth the powers of Congress. One of those powers, set forth in (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3) reads as follows: "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes".

So, what exactly does that mean? What are the limitations on it, because I don't see any. I don't see anything in there that prohibits, for example, government mandated health care, which I would consider commerce among the states". Btw, I'm not saying I favor or disfavor the Obama plan, just pointing out that your view is not nearly as unambiguous as you may believe.

Finally, contrary to popular mythology, there is no "view" of the Founding Fathers. If you were able to go back in time and ask each one of the delegates what the document meant, you would get many different answers. The US Constitution was a giant compromise and the idea that there is some original intent that they all shared is simply not true.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-09-2010, 06:20 AM

This was interesting

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)