Constitutionalist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM
RE: Constitutionalist
(31-08-2010 07:01 PM)Green Wrote:  Although I always fancied myself a centralist, who knows where I fit, maybe the graph is right Tongue

As far as I'm aware, the U.S. (the test is based in the U.S., I think) is much more right-wing than most other countries. A centralist here would probably be a heavy conservative anywhere else. Being to the far left here puts you dead-center in other places.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 09:01 AM

I find that most people who believe they can follow the Bible to the letter (a non-specific figurative Bronze Age text) also believe they can follow the Constitution to the letter. They treat the Constitution much as they do the Bible ... as black and white and sent by god.

The constitution isn't the equivalent of a national bible.
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Agreed. No document can cover every possible scenario. Words change meaning, situations change, life happens. A consititution is, for all practical purposes, a guideline. Besides, I think that literalists, constitutional or otherwise, tend to pick only the literal passages that suit them and only the situations that suit them. For example, no one favors stoning adulterers or people who eat shrimp. Similarly, right wingers generally scream 'judicial activism' on gay rights but celebrate in the streets when a judge issues a ruling in favor of school prayer. Liberals do the same, just in the opposite direction.
01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with the above two posts. The Constitution is there to serve the people, and while it's certainly important for running things, that doesn't mean we can't change it to fit modern standards. =)

Also, I'm late on the bandwagon. Here's my political reading:

[Image: pcgraphpng.php?ec=-2.38&soc=-3.64]

I honestly didn't see that coming. I've always thought of myself as a moderate. =P It's certainly not extreme, sure, but it's extreme for a moderate, I believe. A far-left moderate? Something like that. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
(01-09-2010 10:04 AM)dtwpuck Wrote:  Agreed. No document can cover every possible scenario. Words change meaning, situations change, life happens. A consititution is, for all practical purposes, a guideline.

Yep. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't at least take its advice on certain situations.

As far as being a Constitutionalist goes, I mean it inasmuch as I think that the model of government set forth within the United States' Constitution is a good one, and that the Bill of Rights (and subsequent amendments) are all very important to our lives. Since that's pretty much all the Constitution is, that's about all a Constitutionalist needs to be - a person who thinks that the Constitution is a good thing. Smile

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm looking at all of these charts (mine included) and finding that most of us seem to lean into the left lower quadrant.
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Most people do, in my experience. I'm one of the few that frequently oscillates between the left and right lower quadrants, simply because every time I take the test I can't remember which precise answers I gave to the questions I felt indifferent towards. So I mentally place myself on the central axis.

01-09-2010, 05:04 PM

(01-09-2010 03:05 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  I'm looking at all of these charts (mine included) and finding that most of us seem to lean into the left lower quadrant.

Guess where I fall on the chart Wink I took the test and saved the image to my hard drive, but realized I can't link to it (unless someone tells me how?)

Anyway, I was 5 squares to the right, and 1 square up.
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Personally, I find it somewhat insulting to categorize myself in such a simple diagram. I think human beings are more complex than this simple 2-dimensional categorization attempts to show.
01-09-2010, 05:39 PM

(01-09-2010 05:32 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Personally, I find it somewhat insulting to categorize myself in such a simple diagram. I think human beings are more complex than this simple 2-dimensional categorization attempts to show.

And in a sense, I agree with you there. But I had no idea where I fell in the spectrum politically. I'm a registered democrat, but only because I wanted to receive campaign literature.

Well, that and the references to God in the Republican national platform a few years back bothered me. Actually, that may have been my defining moment as far as choosing a party.

Most of my life leaves me too busy for politics. So this was an interesting exercise for me. And, as long as I realize that it's not something to be taken as 'all encompassing", then I can use it as the tool I took it to be and nothing more.