Consumption classification

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Consumption classification
RS already saw this on my FB, but I'm curious as to how science classifies the animals by their consumption.

Is it based on their 1) diet or 2) digestive system?

Carnivores have a shorter digestive system than herbivores and omnivores, but if you look at nature's brittle piece of glass, the panda, it had the digestive system of a carnivore but 90% of its diet is bamboo. So, is it an herbivore... omnivore... or an herbivorous carnivore?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2016, 07:06 PM
RE: Consumption classification
(28-11-2016 12:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  RS already saw this on my FB, but I'm curious as to how science classifies the animals by their consumption.

Is it based on their 1) diet or 2) digestive system?

Carnivores have a shorter digestive system than herbivores and omnivores, but if you look at nature's brittle piece of glass, the panda, it had the digestive system of a carnivore but 90% of its diet is bamboo. So, is it an herbivore... omnivore... or an herbivorous carnivore?

Diet. You are what you eat plus one trophic level.

Pandas are an oddball because they're a herbivore that was very recently a carnivore, thus the short gut. They haven't fully evolved to suit their diet, which is one of the reasons they're so slow. They have to have a slow metabolism because they aren't very good at digesting the bamboo.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post