Contact A2A

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
RE: Contact A2A
I am a Canadian. I live about a two and a half hour drive from the United States' border. I didn't see the whole video. I have to admire Richard's patience, I didn't have the patience to put up with Wendy, and I was only watching.

You are welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Finland...
so skandinavian :-) My mother is danish and her father was from Norway. I reproach to this day, that she never tought me her mother tongue.
I speak german, italian and english.

So how is the situation up there? Do you have atheists in your family? My mother is probably the only family member, that would admit to be at least a pantheist. The north of Europe seems more liberal in many other ways too, so maybe one day there is a chance to get the fleas to meet ( If you have read Richard Dawkins God delusion, you know what I mean :-D)

Greetings from the south...
Alnilam
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Fennoscandia! Sweden and Norway are Scandinavia, since they have the Scandis, but in some countries the word Scandinavia is used as a synonyme for the Norcic Countries. But I don't really give fudge about that, I'm just a little attracted to this kind of commas.

Just recently I have really figured out the religious situation here and the relationship between the people and the church is a little odd. The evangelic lutheran church (state church) has 80% of the population as its members, but only about half of them believe that God exists! They're so-called ''habit-Christians''. I've been supposed to make a thread about the reasons why the habit-Christians are still members of the church and about other similar stuff, but I've always had something else going on.

My parents are Christians, although not in any way hardcore Christians. Religion is rarely a subject, but the best conversations I've ever had have been about religion with my mother.

Northern Europe is very secular, especially Sweden. But Estonia is still the most atheistic country with only 16% of its population theistic, but it's a little weird that the acceptance of evolution is only about 64%, which is 2% lower than it is in Finland, even though about half of Finns are theists. Weird. Confused

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Skandinavia includes indeed Finnland, Iceland and the Färöer Islands in the wider sense, I just looked it up in the Duden :-)

Please forgive my poor english ( I taught mostly myself).

When my mother (evangelic) married, she had to swear an oath that she'll bring us up in the the roman catholic faith. Thankfully in our family I was never forced to go to church on sundays or pray at night. So, I believe that the weak indoctrination lead me automatically to reason, as I grew up. I remember starting to question and doubting the bible stories and definitively wondering why I, a child, have to go and confess, what a terrible sinner I was ??!

Later, as I lived in Scotland, I gave it a last try. I went to the baptist church for a few sundays ( I enjoyed the singing), but that was it for me. I had a few conversations with members, and was astonished that they serioulsy believe that even babies are real sinners (I had just given birth to my daughter)and that people( that was my question)who have'nt had the chance to know about Jesus, for instance native inhabitants of the forrests of Brasil, would then just not go to heaven and just "dissolve" some how. Wow!

At the time I did'nt have the knowledge about how serious the situation in America is (Some friends and members of that church are american and their husbands were studying Theology at the time).

Back home now I decided to come out and step out of the catholic church.
29-12-2010, 10:41 PM

(12-12-2010 01:32 PM)alnilam Wrote:  Please forgive my poor english ( I taught mostly myself).
Your English is very good for being self taught. Nice job!
(I know people in the US, my country, who speak it worse and they were raised with it. Wink
29-12-2010, 11:06 PM
(10-12-2010 02:03 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
(10-12-2010 01:44 PM)alnilam Wrote:  Thank you Kikko,

I'll try!
So, are you in Finland or Estonia then?

Alnilam

If I would be in Estonia I'd be trapped under snow, so I'm glad to be in Finland.

My family is from Finland, in fact Ketola is Finnish. (I think the original name was Ketla though)
30-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:My family is from Finland, in fact Ketola is Finnish. (I think the original name was Ketla though)
I was supposed to ask you about your username, but when you told where you are from I thought it's just chanche that your name is a Finnish surname.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM

(I know people in the US, my country, who speak it worse and they were raised with it. Wink
[/quote]

Thank you! It's easy to forget a language if not spoken or written every day.
My kids learn three languages at the same time. They grasp with such ease, it's enviable...