Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
16-07-2016, 10:23 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(16-07-2016 10:09 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 09:02 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  You implied he didn't. Here are your words.

"There is no need to discuss the existence of "Nazareth" after one removes Jeebus from the equation. The same argument applies to Schonfield."

But the same problem for you exists:

1. Jesus never came from Nazareth, therefore Nazareth never existed.
2. Jesus never came from Nazareth.
3. therefore Nazareth never existed.

Faulty reasoning.

You are too stupid for me to bother with you any more.

You don't have to go away mad.

Just go away.

Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2016, 10:47 PM
(16-07-2016 08:04 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  No.

E. Christopher Reyes is not a scholar in anything. He is a layman not unlike yourself.

Dude, Mark's not a layman.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-07-2016, 01:38 AM
(16-07-2016 04:16 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  What kind of car did Jesus drive? The Bible answers that question. Jesus and his disciples were all in one Accord!

He was a student (and the Accord-theory seems to support this)

Evidence:
1) he lived at home until he was 30
2) If he did anything, it was a miracle

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
17-07-2016, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2016 07:32 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(16-07-2016 10:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

E. Christopher Reyes is not a scholar in anything. He is a layman not unlike yourself.

Aw...shucks. Thanks mate.

I do have 3 degrees, and, although they're not in the field of ancient history or philosophy, I've spent 7 or so years studying and writing about this stuff, and published a book, even while seeing 25 patients a day in the real world...the university of life.

I think history, philosophy, science and medicine are all intertwined, and the product of the mix can be truth, and that truth is beautiful, real and useful.

This latest arrogant, repetitive, know it all is just another in a long line of upstarts somehow thinking they are special, and because of that, he heaps shit on all the wonderful people on this forum. He reminds me of Q...he repeats himself over and again, doesn't answer questions, obviously doesn't understand what others are writing, and for no apparent reason thinks the sun shines out of his own arse. I don't think he will last long here, unless he lifts his game.

My baby (Leah) and my wife are flying to China tonight. They'll be gone for 3 weeks to see Chinese grandparents. I may have some free time to post some stuff...

Mate...I hope you're ok. I read all your posts, and I appreciate them all , and I care about you. You're the real thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
17-07-2016, 07:27 AM
(17-07-2016 07:16 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 10:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Dude, Mark's not a layman.

Aw...shucks. Thanks mate.

I do have 3 degrees, and, although they're not in the field of ancient history or philosophy, I've spent 7 or so years studying and writing about this stuff, and published a book, even while seeing 25 patients a day in the real world...the university of life.

I think history, philosophy, science and medicine are all intertwined, and the product of the mix can be truth, and that truth is beautiful, real and useful.

This latest arrogant, repetitive, know it all is just another in a long line of upstarts somehow thinking they are special, and because of that, he heaps shit on all the wonderful people on this forum. He reminds me of Q...he repeats himself over and again, doesn't answer questions, and for no apparent reason thinks the sun shines out of his own arse. I don't think he will last long here, unless he lifts his game.

My baby (Leah) and my wife are flying to China tonight. They'll be gone for 3 weeks to see Chinese grandparents. I may have some free time to post some stuff...

Mate...I hope you're ok. I read all you post, and I appreciate them, and I care about you. You're the real thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2016, 07:55 AM
(16-07-2016 10:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Mark has absolutely no formal education and/or training in either ancient history or archeology.
17-07-2016, 08:04 AM
(16-07-2016 04:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please tell us what "Nazareth" was in the first century, along with your evidence. Do not dodge the question. You have not told us what you think was there. The spiel from Bart, which was a quote from someone else, hasn't convinced me either.

Uhm, we have a variety of archaeological evidence in support of Nazareth existing in the first century, from graves, an excavated farm, coins, and pottery, and even an inscription in synagogue, that chronicles that assignment of priests during the Bar Bar Kokhba revolt in 132.

Not even mythicist like Richard Carrier, are dumb enough to suggest that Nazareth didn't exist, only you are plagued with such dishonesty.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
17-07-2016, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2016 08:40 AM by GoingUp.)
(17-07-2016 07:16 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  This latest arrogant, repetitive, know it all is just another in a long line of upstarts somehow thinking they are special, and because of that, he heaps shit on all the wonderful people on this forum. He reminds me of Q...he repeats himself over and again, doesn't answer questions, obviously doesn't understand what others are writing, and for no apparent reason thinks the sun shines out of his own arse. I don't think he will last long here, unless he lifts his game.

I may be arrogant, but I am not pretentious. The arrogance you see is intentionally confrontational as a method of dealing with this kind of bullshit you spew out as if it were facts, when the fact is you are not even remotely qualified to have a valid separate opinion on this subject matter.

Your book is a complete and total work of fiction that borrows from the extremely questionable scholarship of a few irrelevant dissenters, dressed up nicely for the uneducated and the gullible. I have read enough of it, and seen enough comments regarding it here and elsewhere, to determine that your self-published rag is nothing more than the rantings of a very bitter man railing against the Christian religion in some pathetic attempt to qualify you as being a somebody.

You will never get even one positive review from any reputable historian, let alone a book deal with any reputable publisher. The crap you wrote in that rag will never make you relevant, as it is nothing but a poorly orchestrated and wholly unsupported conspiracy theory regarding how the Romans created Christianity, and how almost everything that has come down to us has either been interpolated or is a wholesale forgery. Totally unsupported assertions and extremely improbable conclusions.

There is absolutely nothing scholarly in that book whatsoever, as it only serves to garner the interest of like-minded fools who, like yourself, propagate a hatred towards a religion at the expense and total disregard of the truth, all in your own self-serving interests.

So yes, I am arrogant, but at least i am not some damn pretentious fool preying on the gullibility of those who don't know any better. I have more respect for myself than that and will always be content being a "nobody" who, at the very least, shows respect and pays homage to the real scholars and experts in the field who strive daily to paint us a consentient portrait of the past based upon the facts, the evidence, and sound reasoning.

And you, sir, are not among them.

Sad
17-07-2016, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2016 01:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-07-2016 08:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 04:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please tell us what "Nazareth" was in the first century, along with your evidence. Do not dodge the question. You have not told us what you think was there. The spiel from Bart, which was a quote from someone else, hasn't convinced me either.

Uhm, we have a variety of archaeological evidence in support of Nazareth existing in the first century, from graves, an excavated farm, coins, and pottery, and even an inscription in synagogue, that chronicles that assignment of priests during the Bar Bar Kokhba revolt in 132.

Not even mythicist like Richard Carrier, are dumb enough to suggest that Nazareth didn't exist, only you are plagued with such dishonesty.

Turns out Mythicism is not at all the backwater subject, with only kooks interested, as some would have us believe.

http://www.mythicistpapers.com/timeline-...mythicism/

The question of Nazareth is a legitimate one, and is not one of "dishonesty", despite judgmental Church Ladies (not unlike Tomato) who want to relegate these questions to a side show.

"2013
• (Myth) THOMAS BRODIE. Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus: Memoir of a Discovery. In this book, the 76-year old Brodie drops the bombshell that he has been a Jesus mythicist since the 1970s: Jesus is a literary character who did not exist as a historical person at all. Brodie, an Irish Dominican priest, counters Ehrman’s 2012 book, Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Evidence for Jesus of Nazareth. Brodie may hold the palm for being the first scholar from within academe to openly espouse the Jesus mythicist thesis. After appearance of his book, Brodie was forbidden by the Church from teaching. "
Proof that being honest about the subject, by those in the employ of religious institutions, is not safe, AND the claim that "virtually all scholars bla bla bla" is worthless.

STILL WAITING, Tomato, for you to define what you mean by the word "atheist" you're always generalizing about, in light of Tillich's comments above, and your claim that we know nothing about the nuances of Christian theology.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1027414

Then define for us what Christianity even means for you, since you need no Jesus, and in light of the fact that Bonhoeffer agrees with me that you are no Christian, as Christianity ONLY comes in Christian communities.

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/16...ames-leben

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-07-2016, 01:20 PM
(17-07-2016 01:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The question of Nazareth is a legitimate one, and is not one of "dishonesty", despite judgmental Church Ladies (not unlike Tomato) who want to relegate these questions to a side show.

It's either dishonesty, or tin-foil hat level delusions that's required to deny the variety of archaeological evidence, from a excavated farm, pottery, coins, graves, inscription that confirm the existence of Nazareth at the time.

Quote:STILL WAITING, Tomato, for you to define what you mean by the word "atheist" you're always generalizing about, in light of Tillich's comments above, and your claim that we know nothing about the nuances of Christian theology.

Sorry, haven't read as much Tillich as I have Bonhoeffer, but judging that reading Bonhoeffer leads you to conclude he had a death bed conversion to atheism, I can only imagine how badly you'd butcher other theologians.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."