Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
17-07-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(17-07-2016 06:25 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 07:55 AM)GoingUp Wrote:  Mark has absolutely no formal education and/or training in either ancient history or archeology.

I've been studying it for 36 years and am a qualified pastor.

What does that make me?

A pastor.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2016, 07:34 PM
(17-07-2016 07:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 06:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You realize that looks nothing like a CV, right? ... I do have a great deal of respect for the elevator maintenance skills. I get on the ones in NYC skyscapers and shit takes off to get me up like a couple hundred feet quickly and the only thing I can think is "I hope to fuck the elevator engineer knows what they're doing."

Do you have a CV?

Of course I do, but i am not foolish enough to publish it on a forum where I prefer to be anonymous. Who does that?

Dr. Mark Fulton for one. The Bearded Dude for another. GhostExorcist for another. .... many more. Drinking Beverage ..... Are you paranoid?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-07-2016, 07:37 PM
(17-07-2016 07:24 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 06:25 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've been studying it for 36 years and am a qualified pastor.

What does that make me?

A pastor.

I prefer historian. I never worked as a pastor. I was an atheist who did it for a joke.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-07-2016, 08:07 PM
(17-07-2016 07:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 07:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Of course I do, but i am not foolish enough to publish it on a forum where I prefer to be anonymous. Who does that?

Dr. Mark Fulton for one. The Bearded Dude for another. GhostExorcist for another. .... many more. Drinking Beverage ..... Are you paranoid?

Of course I have a healthy dose of paranoia. I don't know anybody here. Also, the subject matter on these forums can be very controversial. We speak out against hostile religions such as Islam, and you think it's a good idea to put your identity out there?
17-07-2016, 08:10 PM
(17-07-2016 07:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 07:24 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  A pastor.

I prefer historian. I never worked as a pastor. I was an atheist who did it for a joke.

A hobbiest? M.A? B.A.?
17-07-2016, 08:10 PM
(17-07-2016 08:07 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 07:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dr. Mark Fulton for one. The Bearded Dude for another. GhostExorcist for another. .... many more. Drinking Beverage ..... Are you paranoid?

Of course I have a healthy dose of paranoia. I don't know anybody here. Also, the subject matter on these forums can be very controversial. We speak out against hostile religions such as Islam, and you think it's a good idea to put your identity out there?

My name is on the site. Who cares? I have cancer. And could get hit by a car later. Life and death are linked.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. Marcus Aurelius

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-07-2016, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 04:27 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(17-07-2016 04:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 03:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why the ad hominem?

The truth is I find the "evidence" unconvincing. These things do not constitute a town with a synagogue, as claimed in the gospels.

If there was a town at that site, there would be remains of a town at that site. There isn't. And, by the way, I'm not the only person who finds the evidence lacking.

So what exactly are you unconvinced of, that a place called Nazareth at the time existed, for which we have archaeological evidence, graves, inscriptions, pottery, coins, an excavated farmhouse from? Or the scale of such a place, of whether it would constitute as a "town"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm unconvinced about the scale of the place. Yes, there was probably a first century dwelling. Yes, a grape farm. These do not make a town.

I'm not aware of any good evidence the current site was called Nazareth in the first century.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2016, 08:24 PM
(17-07-2016 08:10 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:07 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Of course I have a healthy dose of paranoia. I don't know anybody here. Also, the subject matter on these forums can be very controversial. We speak out against hostile religions such as Islam, and you think it's a good idea to put your identity out there?

My name is on the site. Who cares? I have cancer. And could get hit by a car later. Life and death are linked.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. Marcus Aurelius

On sites not like this I am known. I have no fear elsewhere because "elsewhere" doesn't deal with controversial subjects or with people I do not know.

I dislike Islam, and see no redeeming qualities in it. It has a very high degree of propensity to create extremists, and those extremist come from people we once viewed as moderates, or Americanized.

On forums like this I can freely express my views, but if I "come out" with my views it can hurt me professionally, let alone endanger me and my family.

Haven't any of you ever wondered why you don't see religious historians posting on forums under their real names? If they work at at a university, or have a great deal of respect in the scholarly community, the last thing they need is to have their words lifted from a forum and used against them as a reason to either be dismissed, or discredited.

I know for a certainty that I am not the only historian who posts on forums. This is an excellent avenue to test theories via debate, and i know of at least 3 or 4 other historians who frequent various web forums anonymously, and one of them is pretty well known.
17-07-2016, 08:28 PM
(17-07-2016 08:07 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 07:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dr. Mark Fulton for one. The Bearded Dude for another. GhostExorcist for another. .... many more. Drinking Beverage ..... Are you paranoid?

"I don't know anybody here."

Well that's odd! You have told everyone all about me many times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
17-07-2016, 08:42 PM
(17-07-2016 08:28 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:07 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Of course I have a healthy dose of paranoia. I don't know anybody here. Also, the subject matter on these forums can be very controversial. We speak out against hostile religions such as Islam, and you think it's a good idea to put your identity out there?

"I don't know anybody here."

Well that's odd! You have told everyone all about me many times.

I can actually tell you more about yourself than you think anyone should know. I have family not far from you, down south in Brisbane. You can almost throw a rock into the ocean from your office there on Jessica.