Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
17-07-2016, 08:43 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(17-07-2016 08:24 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  On sites not like this I am known. I have no fear elsewhere because "elsewhere" doesn't deal with controversial subjects or with people I do not know.

I dislike Islam, and see no redeeming qualities in it. It has a very high degree of propensity to create extremists, and those extremist come from people we once viewed as moderates, or Americanized.

On forums like this I can freely express my views, but if I "come out" with my views it can hurt me professionally, let alone endanger me and my family.

Haven't any of you ever wondered why you don't see religious historians posting on forums under their real names? If they work at at a university, or have a great deal of respect in the scholarly community, the last thing they need is to have their words lifted from a forum and used against them as a reason to either be dismissed, or discredited.

I know for a certainty that I am not the only historian who posts on forums. This is an excellent avenue to test theories via debate, and i know of at least 3 or 4 other historians who frequent various web forums anonymously, and one of them is pretty well known.

Like this guy?

[Image: o-RICHARD-DAWKINS-RACIST-facebook.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2016, 08:49 PM
(17-07-2016 08:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:24 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  On sites not like this I am known. I have no fear elsewhere because "elsewhere" doesn't deal with controversial subjects or with people I do not know.

I dislike Islam, and see no redeeming qualities in it. It has a very high degree of propensity to create extremists, and those extremist come from people we once viewed as moderates, or Americanized.

On forums like this I can freely express my views, but if I "come out" with my views it can hurt me professionally, let alone endanger me and my family.

Haven't any of you ever wondered why you don't see religious historians posting on forums under their real names? If they work at at a university, or have a great deal of respect in the scholarly community, the last thing they need is to have their words lifted from a forum and used against them as a reason to either be dismissed, or discredited.

I know for a certainty that I am not the only historian who posts on forums. This is an excellent avenue to test theories via debate, and i know of at least 3 or 4 other historians who frequent various web forums anonymously, and one of them is pretty well known.

Like this guy?

[Image: o-RICHARD-DAWKINS-RACIST-facebook.jpg]

Not quite.

That guy doesn't have a thing to worry about financially. Yet, he does get death threats, mostly funny ones though.

17-07-2016, 08:50 PM
I know. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-07-2016, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 04:55 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(17-07-2016 08:24 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:10 PM)Banjo Wrote:  My name is on the site. Who cares? I have cancer. And could get hit by a car later. Life and death are linked.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. Marcus Aurelius

On sites not like this I am known. I have no fear elsewhere because "elsewhere" doesn't deal with controversial subjects or with people I do not know.

You wrote

"There is virtually nothing you can teach me that I don't already know." (post 579) Gasp

and now

"I know for a certainty that I am not the only historian who posts on forums. This is an excellent avenue to test theories via debate..." Huh

So, on which occasion were you lying? Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2016, 05:25 AM
(17-07-2016 08:42 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:28 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:   "I don't know anybody here."

Well that's odd! You have told everyone all about me many times.

I can actually tell you more about yourself than you think anyone should know. I have family not far from you, down south in Brisbane. You can almost throw a rock into the ocean from your office there on Jessica.

"I can actually tell you more about yourself than you think anyone should know. I have family not far from you, down south in Brisbane."

Oh, that's nice. They told me you were related...

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-li...6780575248
18-07-2016, 06:16 AM
(17-07-2016 08:16 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm unconvinced about the scale of the place. Yes, there was probably a first century dwelling. Yes, a grape farm. These do not make a town.

I'm not sure who claims it was large in scale, some estimates put the population at the time to a few hundred people.

Quote:I'm not aware of any good evidence the current site was called Nazareth in the first century.

Like the jewish inscription found in a synagogue, chronicling the assignment of priests, during the Bar Kocheba Revolt, in the first century.

Yes I know, the Gospels writers must have invited the town, and then it arose in the wake of this invention shortly afterwards. The alternative would just be too inconvenient for your whole cult of the Nazarene plot.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Interesting thread..... When backed into a corner it is now acceptable to criticize the work of others instead of providing any evidence to support your position.
18-07-2016, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 07:29 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(18-07-2016 06:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:16 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm unconvinced about the scale of the place. Yes, there was probably a first century dwelling. Yes, a grape farm. These do not make a town.

I'm not sure who claims it was large in scale, some estimates put the population at the time to a few hundred people.

Quote:I'm not aware of any good evidence the current site was called Nazareth in the first century.

Like the jewish inscription found in a synagogue, chronicling the assignment of priests, during the Bar Kocheba Revolt, in the first century.

Yes I know, the Gospels writers must have invited the town, and then it arose in the wake of this invention shortly afterwards. The alternative would just be too inconvenient for your whole cult of the Nazarene plot.

"Like the jewish "

I think you might mean "Jewish"

"during the Bar Kocheba Revolt,"

I think you might mean "Bar Kokhba revolt."

"...in the first century."

I think you will find that the revolt was in the second century; in fact from 132-136 CE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt

"Yes I know, the Gospels writers"

By which you must mean "the Gospels' writers"

"...must have invited the town,"

Around for lunch?

Dear readers, consider the irony. This uninformed, grammar terrorist is suggesting my idea about the origin of the term "Nazarene" is a "cult," HuhHuhHuh whereas consider what emerged as Christianity, allegedly from Jesus "of Nazareth," was, in reality. Thumbsup Yes. A cult. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
18-07-2016, 07:09 AM
(17-07-2016 08:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 04:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please tell us what "Nazareth" was in the first century, along with your evidence. Do not dodge the question. You have not told us what you think was there. The spiel from Bart, which was a quote from someone else, hasn't convinced me either.

Uhm, we have a variety of archaeological evidence in support of Nazareth existing in the first century, from graves, an excavated farm, coins, and pottery, and even an inscription in synagogue, that chronicles that assignment of priests during the Bar Bar Kokhba revolt in 132.

I fail to see how mid-second century evidence supports Nazareth's existence at the dawn of the first century. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Not even mythicist like Richard Carrier, are dumb enough to suggest that Nazareth didn't exist, only you are plagued with such dishonesty.

There has not yet been shown any evidence that Nazareth existed as a town at the end of the 1st century BCE and beginning of the 1st century CE - the only time of actual interest on the issue.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-07-2016, 07:28 AM
(18-07-2016 07:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 08:04 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Uhm, we have a variety of archaeological evidence in support of Nazareth existing in the first century, from graves, an excavated farm, coins, and pottery, and even an inscription in synagogue, that chronicles that assignment of priests during the Bar Bar Kokhba revolt in 132.

I fail to see how mid-second century evidence supports Nazareth's existence at the dawn of the first century. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Not even mythicist like Richard Carrier, are dumb enough to suggest that Nazareth didn't exist, only you are plagued with such dishonesty.

There has not yet been shown any evidence that Nazareth existed as a town at the end of the 1st century BCE and beginning of the 1st century CE - the only time of actual interest on the issue.

"I fail to see how mid-second century evidence supports Nazareth's existence at the dawn of the first century."

Yes. What's more, there is no evidence the Nazareth mentioned is the same place as the current Nazareth, or the same place that a Jeebus grew up in.

Origen ( 184/185 – 253/254,) a religious fanatic who spent his life studying and commenting on scripture, and who in his later life lived in Palestine, knew of the gospels' "Nazareth," but appears to have not known where this Nazareth was!
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post