Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
20-07-2016, 03:52 AM
(19-07-2016 08:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Were it proven, this discussion would not be taking place.

No it would still be taking place, we live in a world where many people believe 9/11 was an inside job, and the holocaust didn't happen.

You don't seem to be engaging honestly here yourself, you make claims, such as suggesting that Tacitus was referring to another Christ, then run far away when called out on it.

That's the sort of tendencies one finds among 9/11 truthers, and creotards, not those honestly engaging a topic for the truth of that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2016, 04:24 AM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(20-07-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 08:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Were it proven, this discussion would not be taking place.

No it would still be taking place, we live in a world where many people believe 9/11 was an inside job, and the holocaust didn't happen.

You don't seem to be engaging honestly here yourself, you make claims, such as suggesting that Tacitus was referring to another Christ, then run far away when called out on it.

That's the sort of tendencies one finds among 9/11 truthers, and creotards, not those honestly engaging a topic for the truth of that matter.

Untrue. I said Tacitus never mentioned Jesus. This is a fact.

I'm not running away. It is for you to provide the evidence. Not me. You make the claim. Prove it?

Either your god exists or not. Thus far there is zero evidence of a god and massive amounts of evolution.

To quote Bill Burr. If the book doesn't start with dinosaurs, I'm not interested.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 05:03 AM
(20-07-2016 04:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No it would still be taking place, we live in a world where many people believe 9/11 was an inside job, and the holocaust didn't happen.

Untrue. I said Tacitus never mentioned Jesus. This is a fact.

No he was clearly referencing Jesus in the passage in question. Your dishonesty is you avoiding the implication that you're suggesting, that he was referring to another Christ.

I can blame somethings on the meds, but this is not one of em. You're deflecting.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
20-07-2016, 05:18 AM
(20-07-2016 05:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 04:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Untrue. I said Tacitus never mentioned Jesus. This is a fact.

No he was clearly referencing Jesus in the passage in question. Your dishonesty is you avoiding the implication that you're suggesting, that he was referring to another Christ.

I can blame somethings on the meds, but this is not one of em. You're deflecting.

Show me the passage.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 05:51 AM
(19-07-2016 07:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 07:34 PM)natachan Wrote:  On Tacitus being evidence... eh.

If the Christians claimed that their founder had been crucified, the passage would read the same. This by itself is very weak, because it only confirms that people BELIEVED that this was the case.

No it wouldn't. It would read along the lines of Tacitus, claiming that Christians believed that Christ was crucified under Pilate, rather than Tacitus asserting it as an established historical fact.

I think it would. The passage is regarding Nero blaming this hot new sect called the Christians for the fire that burned a large part of Rome. The passage in question is simply an elaboration of who these Christian people claim to be.

Add that the concept of history the way we view it simply wasn't a thing for Romans. I don't want to call them propaganda pieces, but the stories were often not faithful retellings. They simply were not interested in that. Often they would add mythical figures into their writing.
20-07-2016, 05:52 AM
(20-07-2016 03:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Nice dodge, now go back and answer the question.

Says the man who says he don't need no Jebus, but clearly DESPERATELY does.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-07-2016, 06:01 AM
(19-07-2016 07:42 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  You don't understand Tacitus at all. You need to read his works and study him to know the man, and when you know him, you will know he didn't give a damn about Christ or the Christians, because he was writing proud Roman history regarding how this so-called Messiah was destroyed by the mighty Romans.

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ by Pontius Pilate is proud Roman history.

I will admit to only being passably familiar with Tacitus. But this doesn't read too different from other Roman historians I am more familiar with. And I don't see this as evidence the person Jesus actually existed. As you say, Tacitus would not have cared. He was writing propaganda. And whether or not it actually happened these Christians believe it did. So he would have recorded it as part of his history.
20-07-2016, 06:25 AM
(20-07-2016 05:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 05:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No he was clearly referencing Jesus in the passage in question. Your dishonesty is you avoiding the implication that you're suggesting, that he was referring to another Christ.

Show me the passage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ

20-07-2016, 06:27 AM
(20-07-2016 05:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 03:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Nice dodge, now go back and answer the question.

Says the man who says he don't need no Jebus, but clearly DESPERATELY does.

I think the desperation being observed here, is yours and your kin folks, desperate to believe Jesus did not exist. Hence the series of pathetically bad arguments being clung to here.

20-07-2016, 06:43 AM
(20-07-2016 06:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 05:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Says the man who says he don't need no Jebus, but clearly DESPERATELY does.

I think the desperation being observed here, is yours and your kin folks, desperate to believe Jesus did not exist. Hence the series of pathetically bad arguments being clung to here.

Facepalm

Oh the irony.........
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post