Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
22-06-2016, 04:58 PM
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(22-06-2016 04:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 04:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I asked a question for him to clarify his bullshit. How is that a mistake? Consider

The mistake is claiming that he said something that he clearly did not say. There's no need to do that, since he actually does say and do so many things that are wrong or dishonest. Why accuse him of stuff that he didn't do? That just muddies the waters and gives him ammunition. Then he'll digress for 10 pages on the one mistake you made, instead of addressing the real issues (not that he ever addresses those anyway).

I don't want to fight with you. We're on the same side. But when arguing with the likes of Tomasia, we should keep the high ground. Strawmen and false accusations don't help our case.

It wasn't an attempt at a false accusation, it was literally a question being asked of him to clarify his position. Why? Because he flips back and forth between Paul and the Gospels constantly. I could have (and maybe should have) phrased the question as "Now you're saying that Paul's accounts and/or the gospels are first-hand accounts?" Because with tomato, you never know what he actually believes.

And in short, Tomato still hasn't shown me my "lies?" Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2016, 05:00 PM
(22-06-2016 04:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 04:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I asked a question for him to clarify his bullshit. How is that a mistake? Consider

The mistake is claiming that he said something that he clearly did not say. There's no need to do that, since he actually does say and do so many things that are wrong or dishonest. Why accuse him of stuff that he didn't do? That just muddies the waters and gives him ammunition. Then he'll digress for 10 pages on the one mistake you made, instead of addressing the real issues (not that he ever addresses those anyway).

I don't want to fight with you. We're on the same side. But when arguing with the likes of Tomasia, we should keep the high ground. Strawmen and false accusations don't help our case.

Also, in addressing this point: "But when arguing with the likes of Tomasia, we should keep the high ground." I can't conceive of a way to bend my ethics and morals to the point that I end up on his level. Tomato doesn't want to have honest conversations, which is ironic for him to call me a liar then.

-Rick
22-06-2016, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2016 07:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There are no "sources".
He can't name any sources, (which are credible, and not inherently biased).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-06-2016, 07:35 PM
(22-06-2016 07:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are no "sources".
He can't name and sources, (which are credible, and not inherently biased).

The gospels aren't credible and unbiased?!!!! Gasp

-Rick
22-06-2016, 07:44 PM
(22-06-2016 07:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 07:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are no "sources".
He can't name and sources, (which are credible, and not inherently biased).

The gospels aren't credible and unbiased?!!!! Gasp

No. And the vast majority of scholars know they are not history.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...spels.html
Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-06-2016, 08:40 PM
(22-06-2016 07:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 07:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The gospels aren't credible and unbiased?!!!! Gasp

No. And the vast majority of scholars know they are not history.
Big Grin

It's almost like tomato is completely full of shit Consider

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-06-2016, 10:19 PM
(22-06-2016 08:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 07:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. And the vast majority of scholars know they are not history.
Big Grin

It's almost like tomato is completely full of shit Consider

A thing demonstrated many many times.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
23-06-2016, 06:09 AM
(22-06-2016 04:33 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  By the way dipstick....if your jesus was so famous that people were coming from all over and gathering in throngs someone would have noticed...like Philo, who was in the area within 5-6 years....

There you go again repeating the same false claim you were called out on previously. Philo was not in Jerusalem with 5-6 years within Jesus's death, at least there's nothing in our available sources regarding Philo that supports your claim that he was.

You made that up, or likely heard someone else claim it, but didn't bother verifying the accuracy of it, because you clearly didn't get that from reading Philo, or Josephus on Philo.

So I'm calling you out on this again, either acknowledge you were mistaken in this claim of yours, or cite the portion of Philo's writing that supports him being in Jerusalem within that 4-5 year range of Jesus's death.

I'll wait your response, or your non-response as a result of being too busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-06-2016, 06:18 AM
(22-06-2016 04:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I am sticking to the facts of what was actually said, because what I actually said was: "Now you're claiming the gospels are first-hand accounts ?" There is a very explicit reason for why I put a "?" at the end of that question because Tomato's structure to his bullshit leaves one unable to comprehend what the fuck he is talking about.

There you go lie number 3.

Here's the facts of what I said, in the original post you quoted of mine:

"Paul provides a first hand account of meeting his disciples and brothers. "

I don't know much more clearer it can be as to what I was referring to as a first hand account.

Not only are you a liar, but you're also a coward who can't even take accountability for your error. You blame me for your distortions. Clearly grasshopper understood what I was referring to, and the portion of my post I just quoted made it clear as day what I was referring to.

But it wasn't your fault right? It was mine for not being clearer as to what I was referring to as a first hand account.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-06-2016, 06:37 AM
(23-06-2016 06:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 04:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I am sticking to the facts of what was actually said, because what I actually said was: "Now you're claiming the gospels are first-hand accounts ?" There is a very explicit reason for why I put a "?" at the end of that question because Tomato's structure to his bullshit leaves one unable to comprehend what the fuck he is talking about.

There you go lie number 3.

Here's the facts of what I said, in the original post you quoted of mine:

"Paul provides a first hand account of meeting his disciples and brothers. "

I don't know much more clearer it can be as to what I was referring to as a first hand account.

Not only are you a liar, but you're also a coward who can't even take accountability for your error. You blame me for your distortions. Clearly grasshopper understood what I was referring to, and the portion of my post I just quoted made it clear as day what I was referring to.

But it wasn't your fault right? It was mine for not being clearer as to what I was referring to as a first hand account.

You left out the entire first paragraph of what you said:
"Atheists complain about not having first-hand accounts, yet when first hand accounts are offered, they question whether or not the individual was lying. It's a shell game right?"

And you still don't understand the concept between what is a lie and what is (at best) a mistake from reading your bullshit.

Also, you should read the thread instead of posting bullshit, another reply to grasshopper from me:

"It wasn't an attempt at a false accusation, it was literally a question being asked of him to clarify his position. Why? Because he flips back and forth between Paul and the Gospels constantly. I could have (and maybe should have) phrased the question as "Now you're saying that Paul's accounts and/or the gospels are first-hand accounts?" Because with tomato, you never know what he actually believes.

And in short, Tomato still hasn't shown me my "lies?" Drinking Beverage "

Clearly you are claiming Paul's accounts are first-hand accounts. But his claim is corroborated by what exactly? His word?

And just to clarify, are any of the gospels or any part of them first-hand accounts?

(Go on, make a liar out of me Evil_monster )

-Rick