Contemporary Accounts of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
20-07-2016, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2016 04:27 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Contemporary Accounts of Jesus
(20-07-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 12:44 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Can you please provide for me one written ancient reference to someone other than Jesus who was entitled, for example, "John the Christ," or "Simon called Christ?"

Go ahead. Let's see it.

Good luck with this and ... we are done here.

Big Grin

Don't hold your breath. This would require them to admit there are no such references other than in regards to Jesus. And they would rather eat crows than do that

The phrase is "eat crow" you fool.
https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=eat+crow+define
It's not "eat crows".

Fuck

There were many other Jewish messiah claimants.
Your question about "Christ" solves nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suetonius_on_Christians

I also wonder why a supposed historian has never mentioned that Tacitus was actively involved in discussions at the time about what it meant to "write history".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks Natachan. Dealing with those desperate idiots was giving me a headache.

I got bored and went and watched documentaries on Youtube. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 06:34 PM
(19-07-2016 11:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, not that bullshit again. Facepalm

Who does not have a position? Why do you think that person does not have a position? Be specific. Drinking Beverage

Anyone whose position is a lack of belief/position one way or the other. Like you who doesn't actually believe that Nazareth didn't exist at the time, and just miraculously appeared shorty after the time of Jesus, but would rather classify your position as a lack of a belief in whether it existed or not at the time.

You seem to think there is a problem with not taking a position on something when there is insufficient evidence to do so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-07-2016, 06:36 PM
(19-07-2016 11:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, let's see you provide evidence of your claims.

You still haven't learned that evidence is required. Facepalm

From Wikipedia:
"The Nazareth Inscription or Nazareth decree is a marble tablet inscribed in Greek with an edict from an unnamed Caesar ordering capital punishment for anyone caught disturbing graves or tombs. It is dated on the basis of epigraphy to the first half of the 1st century AD. Its provenance is unknown, but a French collector acquired the stone from Nazareth. It is now in the collections of the Louvre."

It's provenance is not known, and it's about disturbing graves. That supports a funerary site, not a village.

Yea, apparently apparently funeral sites exist in non-towns and villages, nor support the existence of an occupied historical region, I guess so do excavated farm-houses pottery, etc...

In many ancient civilizations there were funerary sites where no one lived other than a caretaker or workers.

And farm houses have not been found - just one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-07-2016, 06:40 PM
(20-07-2016 06:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  In many ancient civilizations there were funerary sites where no one lived other than a caretaker or workers.

And farm houses have not been found - just one.

This is absolutely true. Gehenna is an example of this.

BTW. Mr Master's in history never did respond to my question regarding his area of expertise. Or did he and I missed it?

I somehow doubt he has any such qualification.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
20-07-2016, 06:42 PM
(20-07-2016 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 11:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Anyone whose position is a lack of belief/position one way or the other. Like you who doesn't actually believe that Nazareth didn't exist at the time, and just miraculously appeared shorty after the time of Jesus, but would rather classify your position as a lack of a belief in whether it existed or not at the time.

You seem to think there is a problem with not taking a position on something when there is insufficient evidence to do so.

Yes, he's said these things many times and feels like he is more fine with the idea of taking position with folks like, those here who will declare god doesnt exist or morality doesnt exist in a statement of positive proclamation.

Whatever his reasoning is, it's that he's more apt to be fond of proclamations opposed to openly not knowing skepticism of a concept without an answer.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-07-2016, 06:49 PM
(20-07-2016 04:13 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  HOWEVER. I would have to ask, is intensive study the best method for finding God/Jesus? The average joe will not go threw such intensive digging or attempt to reach a "masters" level education. Nor dose it hold ground work for people's beliefs or acceptance.

Anybody who goes through intensive study to find God/Jesus already has a disposition of strong belief, and would be better off not wasting his lifetime researching, but rather he should put a bullet through his own head so he can get his stupid ass to heaven and meet his god in an effort to find out once and for all.

I mean, it's only practical, right?

Consider
20-07-2016, 06:52 PM
(20-07-2016 06:49 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Anybody gullible enough to find God/Jesus already has a disposition of strong belief, and would be better off not wasting his lifetime researching, but rather he should put a bullet through his own head so he can get his stupid ass to heaven and meet his god in an effort to find out once and for all.

Consider

FIXED.

BTW. What is your specialty in history?

Banjo.
20-07-2016, 07:20 PM
(20-07-2016 06:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 06:49 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  Anybody gullible enough to find God/Jesus already has a disposition of strong belief, and would be better off not wasting his lifetime researching, but rather he should put a bullet through his own head so he can get his stupid ass to heaven and meet his god in an effort to find out once and for all.

Consider

FIXED.

Roman history specifically. Like all teachers/instructors and scholars, I rely heavily on the scholarship of others, as no one on their own can grasp the enormity of it all.

I tend to focus in on the numerous Roman wars as I really enjoy anything that involves wars and fighting. I first knew that I had a propensity towards history back in Grade 8, when I aced every history exam with 100% because it was all about the two world wars.

I love fighting, and was a boxer back in the day. I am not a big man, but I was as fast as fuck and totally idolized Ali. My biggest problem is that I was fearless, which as you would know can result in getting knocked out a couple times.

As I matured, I began to realize that a healthy dose of fear breeds respect, and that is not a bad thing.
20-07-2016, 07:22 PM
(20-07-2016 07:20 PM)GoingUp Wrote:  
(20-07-2016 06:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  FIXED.

Roman history specifically.

Period?

All my friends who are professors in ancient history have specific themes they teach.

Banjo.